Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Pony Club week 18 Flying Clouds & Friendship Star Discussion Page >

The FWS Pony Club week 18 Flying Clouds & Friendship Star Discussion Page

The FWS Pony Club week 18 Flying Clouds & Friendship Star Discussion Page

Old 05-15-2012, 05:53 AM

Mirabelle,.....that is B-u-ti_ful!!!!!!!!!!...Since I had no preconceived ideas of what it "should" look like, I love it.........I, personally, think the quilting is very complimentary and a job well done. I had a quilt done last year that I was not happy with, but everyone I showed it too thought I was nuts and said they really liked it. I know I was nit picky, but like we all know, sometimes we are our worst critic. I hope you come to like this as it certainly represents a HUGE amount of work.....
Old 05-15-2012, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

mirabelle--thanks for sharing your quilt on both threads. Just getting your quilt finished is an accomplishement and made even better by it's beauty.
Since my FWS is still in the infant stages, I am rethinking how I will put it together and may make 2 quilts instead of just one. Like QNS you have inspired me to make sure I finish it!
Old 05-15-2012, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
mirabelle--thanks for sharing your quilt on both threads. Just getting your quilt finished is an accomplishement and made even better by it's beauty.
Since my FWS is still in the infant stages, I am rethinking how I will put it together and may make 2 quilts instead of just one. Like QNS you have inspired me to make sure I finish it!
I am glad I made 2 lap size quilts out of the FWS quilt. Hubby and I used them all winter, I kept them over the back of our chairs, they made the living room look so cozy all winter!

Again, Mirabelle, that quilt is wonderful! Great workmanship!
Old 05-15-2012, 03:05 PM

To avoid a long-living UFO, I just might take the blocks I have done, about 65, and make a couple of lap quilts. I would have to alternate with fabric squares but it could be very nice and it wouldn't be hanging over my head while I enjoy going on to new things. Maybe???
Old 05-15-2012, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by gardnergal970 View Post
I agree with JanRN. Wonderful balance of color values and beautiful work. It looks like she used a computerized design. Have you looked at how other LAQ's choose to quilt this quilt? There are endless possibilities I'm sure. It's difficult when the finished product doesn't meet our expectations. Is this a nudge towards your own LA? You do a lot of quilting from what you've shown us and you might really enjoy it.
Yes the LAer has a computerised Gammill and she alternated 2 designs between the blocks. I was going to quilt it myself but it was just so BIG. I had visions of each blocks being quilted differently and I discussed this with her, but I think she really forgets what customers tell her.
SO I am seriously considering quilting the Pony Club quilt myself, maybe in 3 sections and then the final borders. Having never quilted sections and then joined them I will have to think about it a bit more. I do enjoy FMQ but large quilts are beyong me with my back problems

Thank you again everyone for your kind words and all the encouragement that was given throughout this very long journey. I never would have made this quilt without you, it would still be a wannado
Old 05-15-2012, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by mirabelle View Post
Yes the LAer has a computerised Gammill and she alternated 2 designs between the blocks. I was going to quilt it myself but it was just so BIG. I had visions of each blocks being quilted differently and I discussed this with her, but I think she really forgets what customers tell her.
SO I am seriously considering quilting the Pony Club quilt myself, maybe in 3 sections and then the final borders. Having never quilted sections and then joined them I will have to think about it a bit more. I do enjoy FMQ but large quilts are beyong me with my back problems

Thank you again everyone for your kind words and all the encouragement that was given throughout this very long journey. I never would have made this quilt without you, it would still be a wannado
Mirabelle, that is how I did my last Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt. I sandwiched the three layers, visually divided the top into three. I then cut the batting from the two outsides. I labeled them right and left, so I knew how to put them back together. I then spray basted the center section. I also found I needed to pin the edges of the center section so I knew where to quit the quilting. LOL - ask me how I know.....had to unstitch some of it! The quilt was on the diagonal, so was confusing when I was quilting. When the center is done, I then cut Wonder Under into 1" strips and ironed another section of batting back on. Sprayed that section and quilted it, then did the third section. It really worked well for me. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by JeanieG; 05-15-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:24 PM

Hey Ya'll, I'm so tired I can't see straight. Dh & I were at Lowe's Home Improvement Center, yesterday. I mentioned how nice the tile in the bathrooms looks. So we bought some for the kitchen, came home & started tearing up the kitchen floor. There is linoleum under the vinyl tile. We got a lot done yesterday on the first layer till we came to a place that the tile men used double glue. It was like hittin' a brick wall. Well th'smornin' I had an biyearly DR. appointment in Lubbock. (Got a good report & I can make it a yearly appointment now!) We got home around 3:00. I had some errands ta run & DH had other ones ta run. When he was through with his errands he went & bought a Heat Gun. That changed it from an imposable job ta a hard one. We worked for 4 hours this evenin'. I'm so tired I can hardly move! (No insomnia tanight!) I hope we finish tearing it up tamorrow. DH does have ta go ta work tamorrow. I guess somebody has ta feed us. I'll work a little at a time & git my DSon ta help in the afternoon.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:40 PM

Good luck with the renovations BB, I have renovated 1 house, never want to do it again
Old 05-15-2012, 07:38 PM

That floor is 19 yrs old. We have plans ta put some really nice floorin' down (ie wood) but haven't found what we both like. For now this will be better than what we have now, & it'll come up easy, when we git ready ta put the other in. There is really a lot of things that my house needs. I guess floorin' is the best place ta start. I'm really headed ta bed now. 3 houres earlier than usual. Nite All.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:48 PM
Power Poster

I'll echo JanRN's and GGal's comments!

It is a spectacular quilt,
MiraB. It's just too funny that both our LAQ'ers went with brown thread! There are some of mine where the thread seems to detract ... though when I stand back, and look, I can see how the quilting is giving the block movement.

Ladies ... last stitch on the binding has been sewn!!