Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The FWS Quilt-Along Photo Page for the First 25 Completed Blocks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Nonnie
    RW

Your blocks are fantabulous! The colors all blend together so well. What a great job. Congratulations!

I love all the different layouts and fabrics. What a great job you are doing. I'm not as far along, but I'm hoping that with the holidays, no children plus I have those weeks off as I am a teacher, I will get closer to where everyone else is!
    Thank you Quilting Nonnie!

Pookie Oookie, your blocks are nice also! I see a Christmas project in the bottom right corner??

Blog Entries
    Oh yes...they all look so good together! Thanks for posting them...{{{{{{more!! more!! more!!}}}}}}

both 25 blocks are just beautiful. loved seeing them. Barbara from Pa.

Quote Originally Posted by rwquilts
    RW

Your blocks are fantabulous! The colors all blend together so well. What a great job. Congratulations!

I love all the different layouts and fabrics. What a great job you are doing. I'm not as far along, but I'm hoping that with the holidays, no children plus I have those weeks off as I am a teacher, I will get closer to where everyone else is!
    Thank you Quilting Nonnie!

Pookie Oookie, your blocks are nice also! I see a Christmas project in the bottom right corner??
    That's a Liberty Tree flag (if you add the words An Appeal to Heaven, it becomes that flag). I'm making a Revolutionary War flags quilt for my veteran. That template came from Jan Patek's book as did the Stamp Act flag in the upper right. The quilt top is about 90% done. Just need to get it to 100% before deployment.

Very Beautiful!!

What a great idea, will post a photo of my blocks tomorrow. I haven't laid mine out yet so it will be interesting to see if I like what I have done so far. :roll: We are our own worst critics aren't we

These blocks are beautiful! I'm behind, but hope to start back on track Monday. I also have decided that because I am doing just a lap size and can skip over some of the more challenging ones, I am going to change my color scheme. I've been following her colors, but I am opting for different and bolder colors for the last 25 blocks.I am going to set out my 20 blocks today and see how they look. Thanks for the incentive.

Here are mine. Again, not very good photography.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by weezie
    Here are mine. Again, not very good photography.
    Weezie, I like the dark background it makes your blocks stand out. Great looking blocks.

Wow-I'm in awe. These all look so great.
    Okay-I'm posting mine but I need a HUGE favor. I'm a solitary person, no guild, classes, or friends that are quilters. I need feed-back: not just like my friends say "oh how pretty". I really want someone to tell me what's right or wrong about my blocks. I'm okay technically (cutting, sewing, piecing) but I'm color-challenged. Esp since this is the first time I've done scrappy. Is there too much of one color? Not enough of a color? PLEASE-be brutally honest. You guys are the reason I signed up for this challenge--I need feedback from quilters. I keep a notebook by my computer so I can write down what your blocks are like and I'm really learning a lot. PLEASE-if you don't feel comfortable criticizing here, send me a PM but please be honest. I value your help and insight.
    Peace-Jan

Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    Okay-I'm posting mine but I need a HUGE favor. I'm a solitary person, no guild, classes, or friends that are quilters. I need feed-back: not just like my friends say "oh how pretty". I really want someone to tell me what's right or wrong about my blocks. I'm okay technically (cutting, sewing, piecing) but I'm color-challenged. Esp since this is the first time I've done scrappy. Is there too much of one color? Not enough of a color? PLEASE-be brutally honest. You guys are the reason I signed up for this challenge--I need feedback from quilters. I keep a notebook by my computer so I can write down what your blocks are like and I'm really learning a lot. PLEASE-if you don't feel comfortable criticizing here, send me a PM but please be honest. I value your help and insight.
    Peace-Jan
    I love your blocks and they are going to be beautiful in a quilt. The contrast in each block is excellent.

My suggestion is that most of your blocks are in the same tone and the blue and bright red stand out and draw your eye immediately. Doing some blocks in brighter colors will help make that block be more unified with others. I think more purple also.

Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    Peace-Jan
    I love your blocks and they are going to be beautiful in a quilt. The contrast in each block is excellent.

My suggestion is that most of your blocks are in the same tone and the blue and bright red stand out and draw your eye immediately. Doing some blocks in brighter colors will help make that block be more unified with others. I think more purple also.
    Hi JanRN, my thoughts exactly, I would add more bright shades of the primary colors and definitely more purple. Anne

Blog Entries
    Here is a picture of my first 26 blocks together. I enjoy looking at everyones blocks

first 28 blocks
    Name:  Attachment-119859.jpe
Views: 85
Size:  60.1 KB

Blog Entries
    Here is a picture of my first 26 blocks together. I enjoy looking at everyones blocks

fist 26 blocks
    Name:  Attachment-119856.jpe
Views: 83
Size:  60.1 KB

To JanRN: I don't know if this will be helpful to you or not, but it might be food for thought. How my first 25 are laid out now (in order), they do not "work" at all. (I already knew they would not ... I did not make them to be in the same order that Laura has hers.) When I am finished all 111 blocks, I will arrange them to where they look best to me. Of the 64 blocks I've completed, I have some with not enough color contrast, others that will fit nowhere at all in the quilt and some that I dislike; any blocks that fall into those 3 categories will not be in the quilt. As a result, I will either have a smaller quilt or be re-doing some blocks. In the meantime, I'll just keep plodding along as best I can. It's been my experience that a little tweaking here & there can make a great-looking quilt.

If you need advice, certainly better to get it sooner than later, but I think you're doing fine.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie
    To JanRN: I don't know if this will be helpful to you or not, but it might be food for thought. How my first 25 are laid out now (in order), they do not "work" at all. (I already knew they would not ... I did not make them to be in the same order that Laura has hers.) When I am finished all 111 blocks, I will arrange them to where they look best to me. Of the 64 blocks I've completed, I have some with not enough color contrast, others that will fit nowhere at all in the quilt and some that I dislike; any blocks that fall into those 3 categories will not be in the quilt. As a result, I will either have a smaller quilt or be re-doing some blocks. In the meantime, I'll just keep plodding along as best I can. It's been my experience that a little tweaking here & there can make a great-looking quilt.

If you need advice, certainly better to get it sooner than later, but I think you're doing fine.
    I agree with you Weezie. I'll get my posted a little later today or tomorrow. Mine are in the order that I made them, and not how they will end up. But I look at them and try to add more of the colors they seem lacking.

Bye the way, they are all looking great!!!

I can say I'm glad that this thread has been posted - The input is great and I believe it's encouraging to the others who just visit to see what can be accomplished. On to the next 25 Blocks!!!! Anne

GrannyQ those blocks are gorgeous--I love the different shades of purple. Great job. Weezie I like yours on the dark background. I think it makes them "pop". It's going to be hard to choose a background color I think.

You guys rock! Thanks for the feedback. I didn't like block #18 from the beginning. It does jump out doesn't it. I'll try adding brighter colors in some more to see if that tames it down or may end up re-doing that one. (You know I can't even dress myself in colors--I wear black!!) Thank you thank you. I hope everyone is learning as much as I am from this project and you guys.

I kike the one with dark background. Although they are all great. Thanks for sharing

Here are my First 25! The photo came out kind of dark - needed more light on the subject I guess!

Wowee! Those are purty blocks! I love your colors...what fun for you!

Great blocks. I wish I had the vision to do this great work. Love Your colors. Thanks for photots.

GrannyQ, You're amazing with what you've done with the color purple :thumbup: :thumbup: All so pretty!

JeanneG, Your Christmas/winter fabric is beautiful--what Line are you using?I don't remember if you mentioned it before. Blocks are great too!!! Anne

Awesome blocks!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast