Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Quilt-Along Photo Page for the First  25 Completed Blocks >

The FWS Quilt-Along Photo Page for the First 25 Completed Blocks

The FWS Quilt-Along Photo Page for the First 25 Completed Blocks

Old 11-14-2011, 02:41 PM

Beautiful!!!! I love the dark green you're auditioning. It really pulls the colors from your blocks and makes them pop. You are moving right along and I'm enjoying all your pics (like a stroll down memory lane but I ain't doin' the walkin' LOL). Your blocks are all so pretty QE-great job.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

Thanks JanRN ... I'm thinking the green too. It gives so much more life to it all, than the blues do. Though the small piece of blue one does that too. Bonus ... I have enough of the green! I used it in my Double Rose Trellis quilt, liked it there and still do!

What about the blocks I have used the sashing in? Do I remake them? Particularly where the green goes right out to the edge against the sashing? I haven't used the blues in any of the blocks, so not a concern there.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:20 PM

No, I wouldn't remake the ones with the green. I had some where black pieces of the block were up against the black sashing I used. You don't see it. It's amazing how when all the blocks are together the things that we noticed on individual blocks don't stand out at all. (Thank goodness--up close & personal shows the cut off points, too). Proves the maxim the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Either of your colors look good; the green (IMHO) looks Great.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for your thoughts, JanRN!!
... I'm not going to worry about the sashing decision as I don't want to spend time doing it for now, as priority is to get the blocks made.

What do you think I should audition for the cornerstones? a cream? a very light yellow? I'm thinking white would be too stark, or am I thinking wrong? Oh .... what about a pale green (almost white)?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:38 AM

QE, love your blocks and the potential sashing. I think either the green or blue would look great with your blocks. You are really rolling on this!
Old 11-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

I have just strolled down 5 threads of FWS to get to here. What a trip folks, but I am a diabetic going into shock from too much eye candy!!! I am hoping to get to this point some day in the near future. Today DH and I attended the funeral of a dear elderly retired Farm Wife who was a magnificent quilter so my own FWS journey has detoured again. She would have declared these beauties as "Delightful" and "Lovely".
QE, I've liked the green all along, you know. Lovely
Thanks for the show everyone; it's been Delightful.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

I think it's going to be the green too ... will cover all my boards sometime and lay them all on it and get a better look with closer to proper widths allowed.

What's everyone thinking about sashings? ....... white, I think would be too extreme/stark, yea or nay, ladies?
I've also wondered about cream or very pale yellow.
Then last night came up with the brainwave of a very light green (almost white).

Thoughts?

I really get lost at this point as to what works .... when I know it can pull it all together or destroy the overall effect in the blink of an eye!! Sure wish we could be together IRL to really see the true colours of all of our quilts/fabrics.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:12 PM

Quilt-E, they are gorgeous, and I am truly inspired to catch up!! Great job. I keep wanting to put aside my WIP's to sneak in a couple of these. I don't see any harm in using the same fabric in the sashing that you used in some of the blocks, on the contrary, in my view.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

When I started FWS, I found it was a good thing to do when I wanted to see results and the satisfaction of a completion .... you know how when you're making a bigger project, you are just sewing for so long, before it looks like much? Or it was something that I could when I had a little block of time, but didn't want to get really involved.

Then I had a gap in the middle where not much got done, as life got in the way. Now, I'm somewhat becoming possessed as I get closer to the 1/2 way point, which seemed to far away. I'd sure like to have the blocks done, before PC starts .... we'll see, as soon I have to gear up for Christmas and all that means!! Yesteday, I filled my truck with evergreen boughs when visiting a friend. Today, if the weather cooperates, I'll go outside and get them tied together in bunches. They'll hang in my garage til I'm ready to bring them into my home. My home has almost all white woodwork/doors, so I put boughs on every door thoughout. Then leave them up long after the holidays, and then my home looks naked after they come down.

Last edited by QuiltE; 11-16-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nickylsf View Post
Quilt-E, they are gorgeous, and I am truly inspired to catch up!! Great job. I keep wanting to put aside my WIP's to sneak in a couple of these. I don't see any harm in using the same fabric in the sashing that you used in some of the blocks, on the contrary, in my view.

Nicky, never fear of going alone. I have a feeling it will be a while before I get back to these. Have lots on my plate too. We will get there eventually.
QE, what a lovely idea. I can almost smell the pine scent!

Last edited by oksewglad; 11-16-2011 at 08:00 AM.