Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Quilt-Along  Week 32    Blocks 63 & 64  PHOTO Page >

The FWS Quilt-Along Week 32 Blocks 63 & 64 PHOTO Page

The FWS Quilt-Along Week 32 Blocks 63 & 64 PHOTO Page

Old 10-26-2011, 05:44 AM

Those blocks are beautiful. You have a good eye for color.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:53 AM

I think we're all going taking the trip down 'Memory Lane'...I can just imagine all the smiles on our faces...Thanks QuiltE for bringing us along again!
Old 10-26-2011, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

The red and the green you've chosen for these 2 blocks just make them shimmer! Will be wonderful to see these shimmer in your finished quilt. Are you going to do a queen sized or 2 laps, QuiltE?
Old 10-27-2011, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad
The red and the green you've chosen for these 2 blocks just make them shimmer! Will be wonderful to see these shimmer in your finished quilt. Are you going to do a queen sized or 2 laps, QuiltE?
Right now, I'm thinking I'll keep them all together as one quilt!

Both fabrics are tone on tones ... I was actually thinking last night about the green, and wondering if it would be OK for sashing.

Soooooo for one and all, the question of the day is
... in a quilt like this does the sashing need to be a solid, because there's so much going on with the multi-fabrics and every block being different?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

I just looked (again!) at the completed tops and they all have "solid" looking fabric in the borders. Some may be marbles or TOT, but I think you need the consistency of one color for the eye to rest on each block.

I haven't thought that far ahead on mine yet!
Old 10-27-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by oksewglad
Right now, I'm thinking I'll keep them all together as one quilt!

Both fabrics are tone on tones ... I was actually thinking last night about the green, and wondering if it would be OK for sashing.

Soooooo for one and all, the question of the day is
... in a quilt like this does the sashing need to be a solid, because there's so much going on with the multi-fabrics and every block being different?
I'm not sure what you mean by solid. My sashing/border fabric has little peach colored flowers on it and dk. brown squiggly lines running lengthwise (so I had to do top borders wof and the sides lof); also a few dk. brown polka dots on either side of the squiggly lines ... soooooooooo ... solid, but not solid, if you get my drift. Since my blocks are on point, ditto the sashing, I didn't worry about the directional issue there; the squigglies are all at a 45-degree angle.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

I guess we want the fabric to "read" solid from a distance then. Hard to tell that your sashing had squiggles and dots in it, weezie! Oh now I read the posts in the thread :oops: and your description of your fabric. The tops in the "completed" thread inspires me to keep at this.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Power Poster

I too missed that yours was a print, Weezie. Yes, what I was thinking as "solid" was solid with no print, not even subtle or the tone on tone of my green in this block.

As OKSew Glad mentioned, I guess "reads" solid is what we need.

So I guess I could probably get away with the green .... almost a solid, just a little life in it with that mottled tone on tone.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:24 PM

I have very few genuine solids in my stash and I guess my post read like I don't know what a solid is. I'm partial to the fabrics that do the work of a solid and yet are not ... they have more personality & charm and pick up/emphasize certain colors in the quilt.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
I too missed that yours was a print, Weezie. Yes, what I was thinking as "solid" was solid with no print, not even subtle or the tone on tone of my green in this block.

As OKSew Glad mentioned, I guess "reads" solid is what we need.

So I guess I could probably get away with the green .... almost a solid, just a little life in it with that mottled tone on tone.
I used a mottled brown/beige on the sashing and border of my 1st lap quilt, and a solid cream on the 2nd. I like the mottled green and think it would be very nice.