Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Quilt-Along   Week 47  Blocks 93 & 94  Photo Page >

The FWS Quilt-Along Week 47 Blocks 93 & 94 Photo Page

The FWS Quilt-Along Week 47 Blocks 93 & 94 Photo Page

Old 01-16-2012, 08:59 AM

Well, you're just moving right along. I saw your post in the PC about how many FW you have to do before you make another PC! Nothing like motivation, yeah?

The center of your swallow is very pretty. Is that pine needles in the background of the swallow? I'm glad you "got" the pine tree. I'm going to have to go to my virtual quilt and put a bunch of pine trees together and see if they have that affect.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:02 AM

Ooooh-I love your Swallow--great choice of fabrics. Both blocks are so pretty! (I still don't get Swallow--mine looked like a white cloud, but oh well!)
Old 01-16-2012, 09:50 AM

Oh, Jan...if none of them look like a swallow, a white cloud is a good block! I've loved every single block you have made. Even when I go back through the threads, I can always pick yours out without seeing the name. We have the same taste in colors. I always look through the blocks before I begin my set to get ideas of lights and darks, etc. Yours are almost always one of the choices that I look at as an example.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

QNonnie ... the background fabric no, not pines, but ideciduous trees, without leaves. It's the fabric I used in my cow.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/would-you-like-see-t114217.html
When you do that virtual quilt with the Tall Pines, is there a way you can post it here on the thread, for us all to see?

JanRN ... the swallow, I kinda sorta get ... just that I have to put on a really big imaginary hat to help me see it. Yours isn't a white cloud, though maybe not a swallow. How about a white dove against a deep blue sky!!!

So many of the blocks, I go ... so what does that have to do with the name!!!! Wouldn't it be nice to learn the story behind some of the names. I stick with the fact that at least the Churn Dash aka Hole in the Barn Door have some semblance to IRL!

Old 01-16-2012, 06:59 PM

QN you're so sweet and kind. I'm so insecure when choosing colors. This was the first time I did a scrappy quilt so that doubled my insecurity. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2012, 12:29 AM
Power Poster

This little rendition is 36 6" blocks in a standard setting. Measures 38" with 1 ' outer border.

Then here's a cabin in the pines. Cabin is 12", 3" border, 6" pine trees around -49" quilt
Attached Thumbnails fws-pine.jpg   fws-pine-medallion.jpg  

Last edited by oksewglad; 01-17-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:57 PM

Wow, OK. That really looks like pine trees once you put them together. I love the one with the cabin in the middle. Thanks for putting it together and showing us!
Old 01-17-2012, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

Thanks QN, it's hard to see where the block starts and ends. Kinda like can't see the forest for the trees! Putting the cabin or a mountain scene or (my mind's racing lol) in the middle really helps jazz up the block. This is much like the Century of Progress block made early in the game--yeah the one Anne told us we were on our own. It's fresh in my mind because it wasn't that long ago that I made it.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

Nicely done there OKSGlad!!! I like it, though I think it'd be a bit much for the whole quilt top.
Another possibility ... how about the pines running around the quilt as a border?

When I mentioned log cabin in the pines, I was thinking actual LC blocks! One of the LQS' has a quilt she brings out every Christmas, LC in the Woods ... log cabin blocks, then pine trees (not this style, more the normal block types we see) on a snowy white background.

I like your idea .... could even use a panel for that centre.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

I was winding down from bookwork and wanted to see what several blocks looked like, then took it a step up with the cabin. I had thought of LC blocks in the center-say 4 of them; a panel would work as well. I love to play in EQ!