Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Takes 2 Quilt-Along!

I checked earlier today from work and they re-posted it .... after 2 revisions. I think I'm going to wait a few more days just in case. It's not like I'm in a hurry, I still haven't finished the feathered star yet and this new star looks like a doozy. I hate hand piecing.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

2 revisions? I'm glad I didn't download the pattern yesterday!
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Warning! There's still a mistake in the patterns even in the latest ones (I re-downloaded it today to be sure). Piece B, the 12 white triangleish pieces should have both sides the same length, if you measure it on the pattern it isn't symmetrical. And I don't think the curve is quite right either, it should follow 1/12th of a circle. I have re-drawn it & just carried on, I have cut out all my pieces (doing it by english paper piecing) but haven't sewn them together yet so I don't know if the rest are ok.
    Of the two different length sides the longer side appears to be the right one as it matches up to the length of the sides of the red piece. So if you extend the short side (should both be 6.6cm) & then trace the curve in between from the big outer pieces they should work out ok. Will update once I've sewn them all together
    Hope this helps. I'm seeing this project as a real voyage of discovery!

I am sure glad I am WAY behind on this one.Thanks to everyone who is posting the errors in the downloaded patterns. I am making notes on the latest ones. I do wonder if they tested this one?
    Sweet Caroline

I don't think they tested at all.

Nope, it seems like every single pattern has had mistakes. No testing. It kinda feels like they are finishing each pattern right before they post them. Which begs the question do they even know what the finished quilt looks like?! You would like to think it was all done in advance and just posted each set of blocks on the relevant day. But after 2 revisions and still having mistakes there's no way they could have tested these. It's only the bolts of red & white fabric that I bought specially keeping me going right now :-)

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I have been following and printing out the patterns to make at another time, I have decided to just scrap the whole idea it seems theres too musch to keep up on with all the errors with the pattern. My best guess is no one even made these blocks to test them out. What a shme to have everyon get involved in doing this quitl and to end up with so many revisions. !!!

I have started and I plan to do this quilt but I am definitely taking my time. I also plan to redo as much as I can in EQ7 so that I will have the right measurements. I just went to Sentimental Stitches web site and they do have the blocks there done but I also wonder how they can make the blocks and put them on the web site and yet still have so many errors in the patterns.

and yes, a big part of of the reason I am planning on making this quilt is because I spent so much on the red and white fabric, special ordering them from a quilt shop in PA.

It's a shame we all have spent quite a lot of money on fabric and end up with this.

Another mistake: on the pattern sheet it said C appears to be a 90 degree but it isn't! So another part that's just wrong. I don't have EQ7 and I'm having a hard time drawing in EQ5.
    I also wonder how they can have made the blocks and still have errors in the patterns. Maybe because they make the parts too big and cut them to size later to be sure the parts fit? I have no idea.
    I begin to understand why on Sentimental Stitches the Midget blocks are discontinued and I'm happy I didn't start those ones!

I finally got the feathered star finished (picture later, maybe). It is larger than the 15-1/2" it is supposed to be. I don't have any EQ so I'm just winging it. Also the square in a square came out a larger size then they said and when I cut it down, it will cut off points so guess I should redo it, too. I, too, and very disappointed in the BOM and hope they will get it together soon.

Still working on finishing the feathered star. As you know, I didn't trust the directions and decided to go to EQ7 and make a paper piece pattern to use. EQ7 didn't have the exact same star but they had one I liked even better (albeit more complicated). Been working on that. The nice thing about EQ7 is that I was able to color it as well and I picked a palette of a color wheel with black "feathers" on the star.

Now I have a dilemma. I'm not entirely sure how it happened, but my black feathers got switched with the white background. So I have WHITE feathers and a BLACK background. I was too busy paying attention to matching the seams that I didn't notice it until I had half of the blades stitched together! Can't see the forest through the trees?

Anyway ... to make it look "feathered" I can change the background to black but that would mean it doesn't match the rest of the blocks in the quilt. The block looks better ... but the quilt will look wrong.

What to do??

Here's the EQ7 version of my block with a white background and a black background. Opinions???
    Attached Images Attached Images

May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I've finished setting the remaining blades - pic of my star below. As for the outer setting pieces, I think I've decided ... not to decide!!

I'm going to leave this star as is for now. I'm going to "ignore" the Grandma's compass in the current set of blocks as it seems to be incorrect AGAIN. The next instructions to come out will be setting instructions for this quarter of the quilt. I *think* the quilt is going to end up with 4 center 15" blocks with the other blocks surrounding it. I'll wait and see ... if it's the case, I might decide on a different center, I might decide that stars with the black backing might look good, I might decide not to make any stars at all and just make a "sampler" from all the other pieces ... I'm going to leave it open.

I had been losing confidence in the project before I started this star, and my error with the feathers is just a good reason to play "wait and see" with the remainder of the project. Technically, it's not a perfect star, but it's good - very good. It lays flat, most of my points meet and those that don't are not off by much. I'm quite happy with it except for the fact that I screwed up the direction of the feathers. I'll just sit on it for now and I'll use it someday, if not in this quilt then in another.

I'm going to go quilt the project that I finished piecing before I started this whole mess.

Sue

Your star is BEAUTIFUL! I think the white background in the drawings POPs more than the black.

Doghousemom, it's a hard decision. With black background the star looks more feathered indeed, but if that doesn't match the rest of the blocks I would not do that. With white background it's a beautiful star but not as gorgeous and feathered as with black. So I can't help you here!

The star you made is gorgeous! I love those bright colors. I'm waiting too and I think you're right, each section with a 15" block surrounded by the others. We can do that without them, can't we?!! I didn't start the Granny Compass either as there are still at least 2 mistakes in the latest pattern.

Units 1, 2, and 3

Still have hand piecing to do on Unit 4...

Breanna

Great job! I love the blue fabric. Very nice blocks.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Anael View Post
    I'm waiting too and I think you're right, each section with a 15" block surrounded by the others. We can do that without them, can't we?!! I didn't start the Granny Compass either as there are still at least 2 mistakes in the latest pattern.
    Indeed ... I think we can (and I shall) "do it without them"!!

I am having nothing but problems today. First the goof up on the black feathers on this block, so I went to start quilting another top only to discover my dog decided it was a good bed to use to scarf down some chocolate ex-lax. Washed that, dried it, and the black bled into my yellow border. Ok .. I've got the whole day to myself and I'm DETERMINED to sew/quilt, so I picked up yet another project to quilt and the backing I want to use hasn't been pre washed yet so I'm waiting for that to finish. Geez ... the quilting Gods are not smiling on me today.

Sue

My Granny would have said Go sit down and mend some socks
    I'm sorry your day went like this but you still have time to get something right! Can you save the black/yellow top? I hate it when that happens

I know that I haven't been on in a while. I decided to change up the colors a little as the orange and turquoise was a little bonkers. But I am visiting my daughter in the land down under and will not be back home until May. I love the feather block and know that will challenge the heck out of me but I will confess that the new block for the end of this month did make me gulp and take my breath away. It is so beautiful and I am keeping myself positive. I can do it. Can't wait to return to the USA to get started. I check in on all of you to see what you are doing. THey are all beautiful and just lovely work. Makes me want to make several in different colors.....LOL.

Barb
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

Quote Originally Posted by urgodschild2 View Post
    I know that I haven't been on in a while. I decided to change up the colors a little as the orange and turquoise was a little bonkers. But I am visiting my daughter in the land down under and will not be back home until May. I love the feather block and know that will challenge the heck out of me but I will confess that the new block for the end of this month did make me gulp and take my breath away. It is so beautiful and I am keeping myself positive. I can do it. Can't wait to return to the USA to get started. I check in on all of you to see what you are doing. THey are all beautiful and just lovely work. Makes me want to make several in different colors.....LOL.

Barb
    Oooo ... enjoy your vacation!! Are you in Australia or NZ?

Just don't forget to download the patterns so you don't have to purchase them.

Sue

New block finished:
    Name:  DSC_0410 (1024x1009).jpg
Views: 121
Size:  598.5 KBIt was pretty tricky but I think it came out nice. Still needs to be trimmed to size. Piece C isn't a mistake - I think they're trying to say that it looks like it's a 90 degree angle but it isn't, and the angle of the template is right. Using the adjusted outer triangles I used everything else went together ok except the centre red piece. I had intended to piece that onto the melons and build it up outwards from there but the centre piece template is too small. So I just reverse applique'd a red circle on once I had joined everything else together and that came out fine. And the outer pieces were applique'd too. I feel like it was a bit of a bodge job to put together but I made it work!
    And on a separate note DogHouseMom's last post reminded me - it upsets me that once they retire these patterns they are selling them. How can they make money from such mistake ridden patterns with a clear conscience!!!

Quote Originally Posted by victoriaplum View Post
    It upsets me that once they retire these patterns they are selling them. How can they make money from such mistake ridden patterns with a clear conscience!!!
    I've been watching you ladies work on these blocks. I was going to do this with My sister, DoriDes. She's started out strong but became as frustrated with the patterns as all y'all. I just plain over booked myself, but printed the patterns to use another time. Could it be, like I've seen suggested before, they're using this first "mystery" as a way to work out the mistakes? Which still doesn't seem right. Surely they test these themselves before handing them to others?
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

Victoria, your block is gorgeous! I now understand what the 'look like it's 90 degree angle' means. Sorry for the confusion!
    I don't know how they can sell these patterns without thinking twice.

@SheriR: I wouldn't be so sure of that. I don't think they test at all, I have no idea how they assemble the blocks because most of the patterns do have one or more mistakes. I do know I will never participate in any quilt along or whatever they're doing ever again!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    I've finished setting the remaining blades - pic of my star below. As for the outer setting pieces, I think I've decided ... not to decide!!

I'm going to leave this star as is for now. I'm going to "ignore" the Grandma's compass in the current set of blocks as it seems to be incorrect AGAIN. The next instructions to come out will be setting instructions for this quarter of the quilt. I *think* the quilt is going to end up with 4 center 15" blocks with the other blocks surrounding it. I'll wait and see ... if it's the case, I might decide on a different center, I might decide that stars with the black backing might look good, I might decide not to make any stars at all and just make a "sampler" from all the other pieces ... I'm going to leave it open.

I had been losing confidence in the project before I started this star, and my error with the feathers is just a good reason to play "wait and see" with the remainder of the project. Technically, it's not a perfect star, but it's good - very good. It lays flat, most of my points meet and those that don't are not off by much. I'm quite happy with it except for the fact that I screwed up the direction of the feathers. I'll just sit on it for now and I'll use it someday, if not in this quilt then in another.

I'm going to go quilt the project that I finished piecing before I started this whole mess.
    I'm just lurking! I love the rainbow effect in your star. Very pretty!

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast