Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Just Takes 2 Quilt-Along!

Quote Originally Posted by Anael View Post
    @Sheri, I do know I will never participate in any quilt along or whatever they're doing ever again!
    I wonder if they know how people are feeling.....
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

I have never posted on the Quilting Board before; I hope this is okay, grin.

I'm lovin' this BOM! It has been a little challenging, but that is why I started. My favorite block so far has been the feathered star. I didn't think I'd ever do one and now I have! Ta-dah!

Having said that, I do not think I'm going to do the compass in the last grouping. I think I'm going to replace it with another period block of the same size. Has anyone else considered doing this?

Also, I'd be interesting in knowing who else is posting about JT2 on their blogs? I would love to follow your progress.

Robbie Marie
    (Here is a link to a picture of my star in a blog post - I didn't figure out how to add a photo to my message, sorry.)
    http://quiltybitsnwhatnots.blogspot....ered-star.html

I have enjoyed doing these blocks, however I only have done through 18 so far. I really want to finish this I spent alot of money on my material and with 18 blocks done I have to keep going. However I am also going to substitute the compass block, I do all my sewing by machine so anything by hand is not for me.

I was thinking about the wild zinnias block on quilters cache, its kinda similiar I think, what do you all think about replacing it with that block? It's paper pieced and a 12" block I love doing paper piecing. Any other suggestion to replace the compass block with?

I sure hope these patterns get better for all our sakes. I hope everyone can continue and finish.

sewhappy30, I went to Quilter's Cache, too. I do like your suggestion of the zinnia block as a replacement for the compass block; I've added it to my list of possibilities. Thanks!

Several blocks caught my eye when I was on the site. The "Star and Crescent" block is from the 1920s and has the white open space around it resembling the JT2 block. I also like the "Children Take Wing" block, and the "Evening Star" block could be adapted. Unfortunately, they aren't historic. Guess I'll have to decide at some point.

Thanks again for your help!

It was a 300 years of red and white quilts exhibit so IMHO the blocks don't need to be historic. Modern blocks fit in as well. The blocks you mentioned are great and will fit in perfectly.

Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

I'm with Anael your blocks don't have to be historic - and ultimately its your quilt you get to decide what it looks like & if you don't like something, don't do it! I have never discovered quilter's cache but now I've seen it... oh my... could lose hours looking through all those patterns.
    The 'children take wing' block is really nice but to me looks pretty similar to one of the ones we've previously done... can't remember the number, the pine burr one? But again... do what you want to do! Isn't the beauty of a project like this that we are all working on the same thing but will all have completely different looking quilts at the end of it?!

Victoria

That block is gorgeous! It's PERFECT!! Congratulations!!!
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

What I really don't understand about all the pattern boo-boo's is that it's not like the first time Brenda has created patterns of difficult blocks using nothing more than a finished quilt and a ruler. She created the DJ patterns after all.

I'm am "on hold" with this BOM right now. I'm downloading the patterns and storing them (and waiting to see if updates are posted before I download - no more downloading on the first day). I believe that on April 1 the next thing to be distributed will be the construction instructions for the blocks we finished. I'll download those as well, but doubt that I'll actually put my blocks together.

No big deal for me to put this on hold for now as I started quilting my Mini Lone-Star the other night and I'm loving it!!
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I am on hold until I get back to the states in May. So I guess all the updates will be ok by then. I love what everyone has done so far.
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

Blog Entries
    More new blocks and setting instructions were released today. This section will measure 45" sq. I think getting this portion completed will give me a boost to keep at it. It does look nice.

The new blocks are really quite pretty. I still don't think I'll contruct my blocks quite yet - but these new blocks are sooooo pretty I'm going to have to continue!!

This might mean I need to re-make the feathered star that I screwed up from the last set, and this time point the feathers in the right direction. I can always use the star I made for something ... somewhere

These new blocks are SOOOOO pretty!!!!

Sue

You're right, they are very pretty. I might actually make them But I think I won't continue with this quilt and just make a wallhanging out of the blocks of these first 3 months.

Blog Entries
    Anyone attempt the new blocks yet? Do the templates for block 25 include the seam allowance or no?

Im ready to start making blocks 25-28. The rest of mine are assembled and waiting. I have decided to keep going with the project. I have both time and money invested, I like how it looks and have reached the point where I just need to dig deep and perservere. I can tell because I am getting a bad cause of "ooo, shiny", planning other projects in my head.

I'm saying block 25 does not have seam allowances. When I look back through the patterns the pieces which do have seam allowances are clearly marked.

I haven't started the new blocks yet. I'm still working on that compass from March 15th. So far, I've managed to avoid starting anything new (this was my new quilt). Next week I'm going to a quilt retreat and I'm planing on spending one day catching up on these blocks.

Here's a picture of what I've got sewn together so far.
    Name:  JT2COLORCENTER.JPG
Views: 157
Size:  114.7 KB

Your blocks are beautiful Knitnoid!

Gorgeous Knitnoid!
    NDQuilts nope seam allowances aren't included.
    OK so this last one was HARD! But I took it slow & I think it came out pretty darn good if I do say so myself!
    Name:  DSC_0419 (1024x874).jpg
Views: 218
Size:  492.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

BMP
    Blog Entries
    WOW that is beautiful !!!! I gave up, too many errors in the pattern and I found I had no patience when things went wrong because of it... I admire everyone else who are continuing.
    I really cant understand why they put out a pattern that had so many errors, it seems like the pattern never was made ahead of time

Victoria, stunning! And yes, you may say so yourself as the block really is 'pretty darn good'

Victoria -- your red and white is gorgeous!

I have been catching up on what you all have been saying about these quilt blocks.....I kind of lost interest in this quilt just because the patterns suck....I have decided that I will just pick my own block patterns and I will make my quilt the way I want it...that way the patterns will be right and I won't get pissed off....lolol I really hate cutting patterns down....I can't get past that and I just want to cut the pieces and sew them and have them be pretty....So I might just post pictures when I am finished with my own original quilt....I know that I can even graphed block patterns that come out perfect and the blocks in this Just Takes 2 quilt well can't say what I think of them....to the people that have finished their blocks my hat is off to you because your blocks are beautiful and I love them all .... )
    There's only one true happiness in life ... to love and be loved )

I decided to check out this site since I have been downloading all of the Just Takes 2 patterns this year. Wow - blocks are awesome!!! I see lots of fellow quilters from the DJ site as well. Noticed the comments about patterns/instructions. Have there been problems with them for everyone?? Are the patterns themselves unclear? I have not checked them out at all - simply downloaded them. I do know Brenda however, so if there is a problem, I can let her know.
    Gus

The new patterns have been posted at Sentimental Stitches. I've downloaded them and have printed them, but not studied them. I'm now officially 3 sets behind with this set being #4.

I am also officially WAAAY behind. Sort of lost interest due to the problems with the patterns others had. I have downloaded all of the patterns for future completion.
    Sweet Caroline

Thanks Knitnoid for the link. I downloaded the last 2 sets but didn't make them.

Ok I downloaded the May 1 set but on the second block it says the instructions on on her site under the instruction area. I looked all over the place and can't find it. anyone else find it?????? You need the pattern. Thanks for all your help. ok I am going bonkers today. I found it on the set I downloaded.

Barb
    Last edited by urgodschild2; 05-01-2012 at 12:52 PM.
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 LastLast