Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
March 1 2011 "Houses" BOM Discussions and Directions >

March 1 2011 "Houses" BOM Discussions and Directions

March 1 2011 "Houses" BOM Discussions and Directions

Old 03-01-2011, 07:35 AM

I used some margin settings that someone suggested from the last month's block. Go to print preview, disable "shrink to fit" and reset margins to L 0.5, rt 0.25, top 0.5, bottom 0.25. Use portrait setting. Worked for me this time.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:46 AM

I haven't tried printing this one yet, but I'm thinking that since since so many of us are adding some fabric to make 12" blocks, maybe it doesn't really matter if it turns out a little different size. The adjustment can be made in the edge pieces. Of course, if there are differences within the pattern itself, like the church windows, that's different. Ain't technology great. At first I thought, why doesn't the website correct the pattern, but look at the different results just among us. Between different computers, different browsers, different printers, we're a mess! :):)
Old 03-01-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by whitepine
I haven't tried printing this one yet, but I'm thinking that since since so many of us are adding some fabric to make 12" blocks, maybe it doesn't really matter if it turns out a little different size. The adjustment can be made in the edge pieces. Of course, if there are differences within the pattern itself, like the church windows, that's different. Ain't technology great. At first I thought, why doesn't the website correct the pattern, but look at the different results just among us. Between different computers, different browsers, different printers, we're a mess! :):)
But I do enjoy being a mess with others :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 03-01-2011, 08:53 AM

This time I'm learning and taking things slow and in steps. Printed the templates and found out I had to print A at 105% and B at 104%. I then cut out the pieces to join to be sure all is OK. Had to adjust right and left seam allowance of bottom barn as they were a bit larger but no problem with all other pieces lining up. NOTE - this makes a 10" square where Jan and Feb BOM's are 12" if that is what your planning. Next step for me will take time to figure out fabrics although I'm itching to put it together! Thanks - I was looking forward to March 1!!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:10 AM

Thank you for this BOM. I had no problem printing the correct size. It looks easier than the farmhouse block! I finished Feb block, but haven't posted a picture yet.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:33 AM

Mine printed out ok. Thanks for the block. I have my farmhouse done but cannot post pictures. I quess I need a card reader?? to post them. Thanks again.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:42 AM

See above...do the 100% and move your margins and you'll get everything printed at correct size
Old 03-01-2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Laura F
Originally Posted by sustraley
Please share if you figure out how to get all pieces printed off correctly. I think this is the hardest part of paper piecing----getting the pattern printed correctly.
It's funny how all printers are different. I ended up printing mine at 146% and for template B I used 147%. After I got A correct, I printed out another before I closed the window. :-) Hope this helps. Can't wait to see pictures.
I just successfully printed templates A and B. I reset my margins to: Left 0.5, right 0.3, top 0.5, bottom 0.0 and printed them both at 125%...came out perfect. Hope you all can print them off w/o any problems. Don't give up...I almost did.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Surfergirl
Originally Posted by Laura F
Originally Posted by sustraley
Please share if you figure out how to get all pieces printed off correctly. I think this is the hardest part of paper piecing----getting the pattern printed correctly.
It's funny how all printers are different. I ended up printing mine at 146% and for template B I used 147%. After I got A correct, I printed out another before I closed the window. :-) Hope this helps. Can't wait to see pictures.
I just successfully printed templates A and B. I reset my margins to: Left 0.5, right 0.3, top 0.5, bottom 0.0 and printed them both at 125%...came out perfect. Hope you all can print them off w/o any problems. Don't give up...I almost did.
Happy you got copy...I know each computer and printer is diff On the first computer/printer I used I also had totally diff percentages then the second computer/printer I used at my other hm....Nothing is simple
Old 03-01-2011, 01:10 PM

If you preview print copy. Make sure 100% .. turn off Headers and Footers (Its the 5th Icon over if you start counting at the icon of printer.) Use your arrows on the page to adjust so everything is showing on page. Should only have to adjust bottom if you have turned of headers and footers. This is how I successfully printed out the pattern. Good Luck..hope this helps.

Jen