Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along >

The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

Old 06-30-2015, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Gayle's Quilts View Post
I have been trying to find foundation paper, and the piecing thread. But luck in my area. does anyone have some where I could order it. Also I was told I need to use a 50 /60 weight thread?? As I said before this is my first time doing this. I have watch a couple different ways, and I don't think it is going to be to bad..
If you have a Dollar Tree close by, my favorite paper piecing paper is using on of their doodle pads from the school supply area. They are 9 x12 so I rotary cut them down to 8 1/2 x 11. Works great. But sometimes the printer wants to pull more than one page thru. So I just print one page at a time.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:01 AM

Hi Jan, I ordered thread from connecting threads for the first time and my machines as well as me find no problem with them. It's 50 wt and thinner than the c&c thread that I've been using and I like it very much... I like the different shades of one color very much... I also use the doodle pads & cut them down...

For anyone wanting to practice on simple blocks sign up at Quiltpro.com they have a free block of the day every day.. costs you nothing and they are very cute..Today's block is a simple 4" xmas tree... sign up you'll be glad you did.

Sophie, I tried Epping on one of the blocks from Laurie's second book and it was a nightmare..the block had diamonds in it and I thought this is going to be a breeze because I've done several projects using the EPP method. the seams after removing the paper stretched to much and I had to re-enforce them with machine stitching..I felt it was a wasted effort...it might have turned out differently if I chose a another block than the one I did..
Old 06-30-2015, 06:35 AM

Just a note on Connecting Threads thread...I love the price, however my machine (Janome) didn't like it very much. It might have just been me or the fabrics I was sewing with for that particular quilt (I haven't tried it again). ***I am not saying don't try it, but I am saying don't buy lots of colors until you have tried it (or any new brand of thread) out on your machine.*** I use Aurifil 50wt (orange spool) for pp'ing with no problems.

For papers, I just use cheap copy paper and a stitch length of 1.5 and don't have any trouble getting the papers off.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:58 AM

Hi Carrie, don't you find the copy paper difficult to maneuver or bend? maybe because my fingers are arthritic with some bumps it finds the copy paper hard..Yes, I agree with the thread...the guuterman? thread is recommended with the Viking machines and my Vikings don't agree with that...Every machine has it's own favorites..isn't that weird???
Old 06-30-2015, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

When I do PP, I like to use tracing paper, also in a larger size like the doodle paper. I have a worn rotary cutter with a dull blade reserved for paper cutting. Gutteman thread does not work well in my Bernina. I don't mind PP as much as tearing off the paper...
Old 06-30-2015, 08:26 AM

OK do you put the tracing paper thru your printer? I have an old printer and it "eats" the doodle pads and even the Carol Doak paper. I've used tracing paper when I hand trace a pattern. I also find my fabric kind of slips on doodle paper but not on copy paper.

I have another suggestion for new ppers to make it easier. (Please, please don't think I'm trying to come off as some kind of expert; I pp a lot and have learned some tricks thru trial and error and from other pp and just want to share). The thing that made pp easiest for me is the Add-a-Quarter ruler. It's a 12" ruler with a raised lip at the quarter inch line. After pressing a seam and folding back the paper, the lip of the ruler butts against the paper fold and you cut a perfect 1/4" seam allowance. I used to use my 6" square up ruler but I'd have to hunt for the 1/4" line, line it up, hold it steady and then cut. The Add-a-quarter ruler eliminates those steps and I haven't cut the seam allowance off since I started using it. It's less than $10 at Joanne's and about any LQS--I love mine so much I bought a second one just in case I break one. Again, NOT an expert--just have learned a lot from my mistakes so maybe I can help someone else avoid those!
Old 06-30-2015, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

Yeah Jan, I do run it through the printer, and yes once in a while will take two sheets at a time, but doesn't eat it. I have a relatively new printer as I do through printers about every 3 years because to our business.

If someone doesn't want to use the add a quarter ruler--which is a great idea BTW--a 6 x 1 inch ruler works pretty good, too--it's what I use because I don't want to PP anymore than I have, too. LOL not news to the FWS and FWPC crowd......
Old 06-30-2015, 09:55 AM

I practiced last night and made a hunter's star. I tried this out and really like it. It's expensive, but for blocks this tiny I might use it. I like that it's see through, but i will probably switch to freezer paper since it's so much cheaper. Has anyone tried parchment paper? This paper feels a little like cooking parchment paper, its stiff but see through so it makes it super easy to tear off... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00

Here's my practice star:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]523952[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20150630_005052.jpg  
Old 06-30-2015, 10:32 AM

Husky, your star is beautiful!

Jan, that add-a-1/4 ruler is great! I'm thinking of using the add-an-1/8 instead for at least some of these blocks due to the size and amount of pieces. Thinking less bulk.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:48 AM

huskyquilter, I have practiced on a few also. I think I am figuring out that I really like the use of the solids. I was hoping to avoid purchasing, since I have a few 30's already. But, in the small block, I am really liking the rest on the eyes of solids. So it's off to LQS tomorrow for solids. Which I will be in luck if they go on sale in July. Keeping my fingers crossed.