Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along >

The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

Old 07-17-2015, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by huskyquilter View Post
Katy, I know what you mean! The worst/best for me is missouri star. I get their deal of the day emails, and they are usually pretty tempting. Not to mention that I can't just get the 'deal' (which I know is their delightfully evil plan), I always end up getting way too much! There is a deal on massdrop I'm eyeing right now too, the color collection by modern quilt studio fat quarter bundle. So far, I've been well behaved and not ordered that. I did, however, discover Hawthorne threads a few days ago and well, let's just say I qualified for their tiered pricing. Eesh.
I get Missouri Star's emails, too, and have ordered loads of daily deals plus a few other things I might need at the same time. Uh-oh, what's massdrop?
Old 07-17-2015, 06:57 AM

Ha! Massdrop is a community that uses crowd sourcing to get discounts on bigger orders. I've gotten some great deals on notions and fabric, the best deal I've gotten so far was on titanium needles. Sometimes the discounts are big, sometimes you can find it cheaper elsewhere, it depends on the product. Check it out here:
Old 07-17-2015, 07:29 AM

I got it too and it's sooo tempting!!! I've been looking all over the sites I know about and can't find any #30"s fabric that moves me..The LQS shops around here and DE are so very limited in what they have..I have a bunch but a lot of it just doesn't go for some reason in my mind... I'm going to check out the sites you guys posted...
Old 07-17-2015, 08:32 AM

I'm not a fan of 30s fabric but can't wait to see what yinz do with it. At a recent lecture by Eleanor Burns she demo'd her quilt done in 30s fabric. Have you checked her website? (I'm such an enabler LOL).
Old 07-17-2015, 11:39 AM

Hi I checked her site and the fabric there is apparently not what she used in her quilt..

Well, I hemmed and hawed then went ahead and did it..Went to Craftsy and I got both the Playtime & Fresh Air Bundles...They had free shipping for over $$ and I couldn't resist that offer I checked all over and they had the best prices.. Now I can't wait to see them. Am I crazy or what????
Old 07-17-2015, 07:24 PM

Ok, add another newbie to the list. Hello everybody, I am going to jump in and try this! I recently joined the QB and have been reading this thread since I joined. I have no paper piecing experience but I am willing to give it a shot. I have always been interested in these quilts. I went out and bought the book tonight and I don't know if I can keep up but I am going to try. Looking forward to the challenge!
Old 07-17-2015, 07:58 PM

Welcome Pam P, We will have a lot of fun here and I would suggest you watch some of the tutorials that are online..Youtube.com, Carol Doak on Yahoo, etc, just to familiarize yourself with the technique...Pick a couple of simple blocks to do before you attempt anything that looks complicated. If you've read the pages here, keep in mind some of the tips given here.. You'll need piecing paper, the "add a quarter ruler is an option and everyone I know that uses them swears by them and the most important......Patience! Glad to have you aboard!! , Honchey
Old 07-17-2015, 09:27 PM

Can anyone tell me where the Carol Doak you tubes are, have found them to purchase, but not free ones
Old 07-18-2015, 04:43 AM

Thank you Honchey, I actually have one of Carol Doak's books and a package of her foundation paper. (I have had them for quite awhile but needed the right motivation to begin) I believe the book came with a DVD so I will look for that. I have been looking at the tutorials online as well and I believe I can do this. One question I have is about the paper. I notice there are a lot of options and I wondered if it was ok to try different types of paper in the same quilt or is there a reason why you wouldn't do that?
Old 07-18-2015, 05:10 AM

Hi Pam, It seems that as long as the printed page dimensions are spot on you shouldn't have a problem.. I have a printer that prints one direction short 1/8". I never realized it, I thought all along it was the seam allowance with my sewing.. I no longer print patterns on that printer...I always leave a little extra fabric(1/8"- 1/4") on the pieces that have an outside edge that way if the block doesn't measure up I can trim to the correct size when squaring up.

Some of the ladies here use a variety of papers, copy, parchment, freezer, newsprint.. I use the Dollar Tree doodle Pad & cut it down to copy print size.
It's the stitch length that's important. 1.5 is the norm.. too tough for me to rip out so I use 2.0 stitch length. I know, I know I shouldn't be ripping out to begin with but I'm a nut about points & intersections.