Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along >

The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

Old 07-16-2015, 04:05 AM

Hi Texastam, There are some great tutorials on the web for pping..some suggestions, Carol Doak group on Yahoo, Quiltingonthesquare.com, Youtube.com.. I find that coloring the sections an enormous help...
You will have a lot of fun with this group..
Old 07-16-2015, 08:27 AM

I'm probably the Poster Child for how not to paper piece. I do print all the patterns but never pre-cut. I subscribe to the "hack & whack" method, cutting pieces off the fabric as I go along; I don't plan my blocks ahead of time but look at my design wall and see which colors I'm lacking so use that in the next block. (I do mostly scrappy quilts and I'm on a fabric diet so I have to use what's in my stash).

We all rock to different music so there are no rules. You'll find your own song that works for you. When you do, please share it with the rest of us. We can always learn new ways to do things. This is supposed to be fun--no obsessing altho whining is allowed LOL.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:46 PM

I do the same thing janRN. I rough cut with scissors the fabric pieces so I have plenty of overlap. I prefer scrappy too so I usually stick to batiks and I go thru my stash using each color once till I need repeats.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:07 PM

I think I may go rogue here and skip ahead to Block 8 "Aunt" as my first block. It's been awhile since I've PP'd and that block seems less complicated than Blocks 1-7. It seems like a good one to refresh my skills on, especially since I've never done a PP project that wasn't a complete block. These have so many separate sections to be connected, I know they're going to challenge me.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:30 PM

By all means make several of the easy blocks and by the time we start 19 days from now you'll feel easier about starting with "Addie".. just take your time.. with the small pieces it might help using a glue stick to keep the fabrics in place without having to pin them..starching your fabric makes it easy to handle and will finger press beautifully before you get to the iron to press each section before joining...trimming the fabric right to the dotted line helps also...after you get the sections lined up by matching the intersections(if any), points, pin along the seam going in sideways (angled) not straight down..helps to keep the fabric from sliding...If you see that it's sewing wonky don't continue...stop !!! continuing just makes more to rip out.. Okay enough lecturing....Have a good day tomorrow everyone....
Old 07-17-2015, 04:30 AM

Well, well, well... Guess who sent me an email about 30s fabric on sale this morning?

http://www.craftsy.com/supplies/kit/...81512~kt5wx5cs
Old 07-17-2015, 05:08 AM

Honchey, thanks so much for the piecing tips -- you can "lecture" me any time you want!

Husky, that's perfect timing for anyone who needs some 30s. I've ordered from Craftsy before and always been happy with them and my purchases. BTW, in the Craftsy quilting classes there's a Carol Doak PP class that I can highly recommend. She really makes the process easy to understand.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:16 AM

And I ordered the fat quarter bundle about an hour ago. You can never have enough 30s fabric. Those Craftsy emails are dangerous!
Old 07-17-2015, 05:22 AM

What a temptation huskyquilter, thanks for posting.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:24 AM

Katy, I know what you mean! The worst/best for me is missouri star. I get their deal of the day emails, and they are usually pretty tempting. Not to mention that I can't just get the 'deal' (which I know is their delightfully evil plan), I always end up getting way too much! There is a deal on massdrop I'm eyeing right now too, the color collection by modern quilt studio fat quarter bundle. So far, I've been well behaved and not ordered that. I did, however, discover Hawthorne threads a few days ago and well, let's just say I qualified for their tiered pricing. Eesh.