Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along

Blog Entries
    My opinion in my quilt is that my purple strings make my stars stand out more. I love the yellow I put in it because it gives the quilt a little pop of color. I did find them a little hard to do.
    Carolyn
    http://s1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/islandwiz1/Boom%206%20Autumn%20Group/

Figured out how to correct the flying geese in step #7 to get the right size. Really starting to come together, would like to spend all day at it but life is getting in the way.

I am still struggling with step 7. They're getting better but still wonkier than I'd like. Open to suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
    Figured out how to correct the flying geese in step #7 to get the right size. Really starting to come together, would like to spend all day at it but life is getting in the way.
    Yep, life always gets in the way! LOL I'm still sewing on the border squares. I think this is going to be a bear to put together with all those "points". I see a lot of pinning in my future! I put about 5 rows (what would fit) on my display board last night. It is really spectacular when you get back and get a good look at it. It took a while to even put on the display board. It is so easy to get those rectangle units and blue squares going the wrong direction!

Life indeed keeps getting in the way, lol. I am off work today and have been working on this quilt, I am working on my green strings (Bonnie's reds) and will be trying to make a flying geese unit to check the size. Have a few of these wings done, although not all. Got some squares cut and hoping to be abke to make a few Ohio stars as well. Wish me luck, lol.
    Candi
    "Kindness is the oil that smooths the frictions in life"
    My etsy Store:
    www.itssewyoudear.etsy.com

Alderdweller, I am sure not an expert but I used the rulers that were recommended by Bonnie to true up both the strings and the winged pieces. I even blunted the corners so I could match the sides exactly. TaDa.....3.5 by 6.5.

Blog Entries
    Alderdweller, I am sure not an expert but I used the rulers that were recommended by Bonnie to true up both the strings and the winged pieces. I even blunted the corners so I could match the sides exactly. TaDa.....3.5 by 6.5.
    I used the recomended rulers too, I've had them for years and never used them till now - sure am glad this mystery quilt came along to get me familiar with them, and reminding me cut and sew accuratly - didn't have too much trimming to do, I really was impressed how great the rulers made things.

Hi y'all. Well I don't have the rulers, but I just may buy them, lol. I pieced and cut most of my strings from clue 4, and assembled a couple of flying geese, my 3.5'' is good, the other side is an 1/8'' bigger, but I think I can fudge that...I hope anyway, lol. I am going to pay more attention piecing the rest of the flying geese, but if it's 1/8'' all that I am off, I have improved a lot
    Candi
    My etsy Store:

So very excited as I finished Part 4 sewing of my large Red/burg/purple string blocks this afternoon. Still have to square them up, and then I plan to finish my small blue strings. (Still haven't peeked at Part 8 and the big reveal as yet!!)
    Karen, aka yayaquilts (yaya-Greek for grandma to 5 beautiful granbabies, 2 girls & 3 boys)
    http://kpscarlettandchief.blogspot.com
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and the fingers just won't work anymore."

Quote Originally Posted by yayaquilts View Post
    So very excited as I finished Part 4 sewing of my large Red/burg/purple string blocks this afternoon. Still have to square them up, and then I plan to finish my small blue strings. (Still haven't peeked at Part 8 and the big reveal as yet!!)
    Wait till you get to part 5! Sewing those 700 triangles to the 2" HSTs of part 3 are a challenge for me. I am plugging away at them very slowly because I guess I get bored easily with the repetition. But I will get them done, I will, I will.
    Sweet Caroline

Progress

I was excited to see the final steps of the mystery. Now I just have to catch up. I still have to finish the large string blocks (for which I am using orange). I have decided that I am not crazy about the string blocks. Seems to take a long time to finish 1 - of course some of mine have 11 strings on them by the time I am finished. I think I am going to start using more of the large strings in order to reduce the time it takes to complete one.

I'm combining step 7 & 8 together. They work well together since one set of pieces flows right onto the next set. If I can figure out how to use my camera port and download to this site I will post pictures soon.

I'm combining step 7 & 8 together. They work well together since one set of pieces flows right onto the next set. If I can figure out how to use my camera port and download to this site I will post pictures soon.
    Good idea Emma. I just finished 100 of 300 part 5. It has been a slow go for me. I think that by using your idea I will THINK I'm making some kind of progress.
    Sweet Caroline

Well, I'm a little farther behind than you gals... I am still on part 4. I did another 20 strings yesturday while playing with my new toy (a viking sapphire 785), so that makes 34 strings sewn- with only 14 of those trimmed down- and 30 more to go lol. I think these things take too long for me lol. It would be easier if I already had all my strips cut, but I am too scared to cut all my scraps and am just not sure how much I need.
    Brooke

Quote Originally Posted by brookemarie19 View Post
    Well, I'm a little farther behind than you gals... I am still on part 4. I did another 20 strings yesturday while playing with my new toy (a viking sapphire 785), so that makes 34 strings sewn- with only 14 of those trimmed down- and 30 more to go lol. I think these things take too long for me lol. It would be easier if I already had all my strips cut, but I am too scared to cut all my scraps and am just not sure how much I need.
    I just finished part 1.
    Susette
    http://fabricribbonandyarn.blogspot.com/

Unhappy Ooops! Do over needed.

Well I worked on the large string blocks last night. I stitched 9 of them and then decided to get up and cut them. I merrily cut away on the first diagonal. then I start to cut the triangles. ARGHHHHHHHHH! I cut 6 of the 9 on the wrong diagonal. When I go to cut the triangle all of those triangles have the strips going horizontally across the long side of the triangle NOT vertically to the center point. @#$%$#@!

Well guess I have the start of another quilt!

Suze, good job! Part is a pain, I am almost finished with all of these QSTs. Just need to square about 100 of them, lol.

Lakekids, ouch, but yes, you do have the start of another quilt.
    Candi
    My etsy Store:

CarolineS: I had already looked at Part 5...so I started to work on it and the first triangle string I added the wings to was, of course, the wrong size!! So I ripped them out and reread the instructions (something I should have done before I started Part 5) and realized I needed to do more trimming!! Plus I also have to trim up the triangles to make the strings because I was afraid they'd come out too small so I cut them bigger to begin with, then put them down and finished another step. So....I'm with many of you, and not caught up but I'm not worried. It's been a fun process and a great learning experience. Next Mystery I do I will know to "carefully" read the instructions a couple of times, before diving into it, which is usually what I do!!!
    Karen, aka yayaquilts (yaya-Greek for grandma to 5 beautiful granbabies, 2 girls & 3 boys)
    http://kpscarlettandchief.blogspot.com
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and the fingers just won't work anymore."

Quote Originally Posted by lakekids View Post
    Well I worked on the large string blocks last night. I stitched 9 of them and then decided to get up and cut them. I merrily cut away on the first diagonal. then I start to cut the triangles. ARGHHHHHHHHH! I cut 6 of the 9 on the wrong diagonal. When I go to cut the triangle all of those triangles have the strips going horizontally across the long side of the triangle NOT vertically to the center point. @#$%$#@!

Well guess I have the start of another quilt!
    I did the same thing on two of my string blocks. All of my mistakes are going to be used to make a coordinating pillow. Then I am going to use ALL of the extra strips left over to make a string quilt using ALL of the used dryer sheets as foundations I have been saving.
    Sweet Caroline

This has been one heck of a journey! I have enjoyed it and think all of you deserve metals and lts of pats on the back. I've never been a fast quilter. So that should give you a clue of where I'm at with this one. I have been busy with other projects that were for Christmas and 3 baby quilts. I have all of the strings pieces done. the red ones still need the final trim. The first step is done. All of the cutting is done for all of the steps. Everything is neatly tucked away in a craft box, I'll get to it after I complete the quilt I've been working on for the last few months. I keep getting interupted with holidays and gifts and baby showers and mystrey quilts. I love it though, wouldn't have it any other way!
    SEW MUCH FUN!

Blog Entries
    Happy Happy me! Today it's snowing ( that doesn't make me happy) and I'm working away on my Orca Bay! I've gotten the center all sewn together. Inner border is sewn together and I've gotten the sides sewn to the quilt - needed to take a lunch break and check the board. The top and bottom inner border will be sewn on next, then I'll see about the that outer border. The blocks for it are made and ironed but not squared up yet - I think I'll see the end of it soon! I really like Bonnies colors, I wish I had been keeping track of the hours I put into it!

Woo hoo for you! Awesome progress, I can't wait to see it all done.

No snow here, lol, but I worked on my quilt for a couple of hours this morning, all my wings are finally done for my blocks (not for the border though) and everything else is cut, will be sewing flying geese and Ohio Stars tomorrow.
    Candi
    My etsy Store:

Blog Entries
    Hi ladies, just stopped in to see if anyone put any pictures up yet. I haven't worked on mine since I put it on my display wall. Everyone that comes in loves the colors. I hope when I am able to start sewing it together it will fit together nicely.
    Carolyn
    Carolyn
    http://s1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/islandwiz1/Boom%206%20Autumn%20Group/

Blog Entries

Orca Bay Top COMPLETE!!!!

Here it is! I just finished sewing on the borders - THE most complicated quilt I've ever done, and love the pattern! I'm so glad Bonnie came up with this mystery quilt for us to enjoy, I never would have done a quilt this complicated if she hadn't. Along with the pattern, and her giving such good instructions for the rulers she uses and everything I've read on the Quilting Board this past year, it's been a great learning experience! Can't wait to see everyone else post theirs - I'm not sure if I'll do the quilting or send it out to be done.... I think I'll need some quotes on how much that would cost.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by pjnesler View Post
    Here it is! I just finished sewing on the borders - THE most complicated quilt I've ever done, and love the pattern! I'm so glad Bonnie came up with this mystery quilt for us to enjoy, I never would have done a quilt this complicated if she hadn't. Along with the pattern, and her giving such good instructions for the rulers she uses and everything I've read on the Quilting Board this past year, it's been a great learning experience! Can't wait to see everyone else post theirs - I'm not sure if I'll do the quilting or send it out to be done.... I think I'll need some quotes on how much that would cost.
    That is just gorgeous! I'm sewing mine together right now, may be a few days until I'm done. It is in the same colors as yours.

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 ... LastLast