Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along >

Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along

Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along

Old 12-14-2011, 12:26 PM

I'd like all y'alls opinion on something. My colors are pink/teal/brown/cream and I'm making this quilt for my second daughter. Her bridesmaids dresses were brown satin and I have ALOT of it left. I really want to make my HST using this satin, but the bolt says dry clean. I know during the life of the quilt it will not always be dry cleaned. I washed a piece in hot water with some towels. HAHA It seems ok. Oh I really really want to use this... What do you think?
Old 12-14-2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by SheriR View Post
I'd like all y'alls opinion on something. My colors are pink/teal/brown/cream and I'm making this quilt for my second daughter. Her bridesmaids dresses were brown satin and I have ALOT of it left. I really want to make my HST using this satin, but the bolt says dry clean. I know during the life of the quilt it will not always be dry cleaned. I washed a piece in hot water with some towels. HAHA It seems ok. Oh I really really want to use this... What do you think?
I think since you gave it a good test by washing it, you've done your quality check. Why not wash the pieces you'll be using before you cut it. Hope it doesn't wrinkle. Washing probably decrases the shine, which would be fine. It's a nice keepsake to use her fabric. I did that once for my daughter and she loves the quilt!
Old 12-14-2011, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by SaraSewing View Post
I have been looking at last years Bonnie Hunter Mystery called Roll Roll Cotton Bowl. I don't have the dimentions and size of the blocks - all I have is the photos of the steps. Help! Can anyone remember the sizes to cut those cute little squares? I didn't print it at the time and it is not published yet.
I'm sorry, I don't know anything about that mystery. I do know that Bonnie has pulled it off her website because it's going to be in her next book. We can't post any information or share any files anyone may have on it because it would be some kind of copyright violation and Patrice will boink me on the head if we do!!

Last edited by COYOTEMAGIC; 12-14-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:31 PM

Man I was hoping to be caught up by Friday Doesn't look like its gonna happen. I have to finish my mom's christmas quilt this week cause she'll be home next and I got a stinkin cold
Old 12-14-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by bookworm View Post
Man I was hoping to be caught up by Friday Doesn't look like its gonna happen. I have to finish my mom's christmas quilt this week cause she'll be home next and I got a stinkin cold
Oh so sorry bookworm! What an awful time of the year to not feel well.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:58 PM

Hey, worry about you, you are what matters. This quilt will get done eventually. I'm still way behind on this too!! I've still got all of the QTS still to sew, they're cut, but none are sewn. I've got 2 strips on about 10 squares, 2 quilts and 1 shaw that need to be finished by the 25th!!! Please don't let it get to you!!
Old 12-14-2011, 07:17 PM

I only have 23 more purple string blocks to do for step 4. This time I used the phone book pages and it is alot easier on getting the paper off. Hopefully I can get them finished before step 5 comes on Friday.
Carolyn
Old 12-14-2011, 07:32 PM

I'm still working on part 1. I got a few more done today, about 20, and I, too, have a stinkin' cold!!!
Old 12-14-2011, 08:36 PM

Location: Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North

So this is where I caught that nasty cold! I should have known!
Part 1 - done!
Part 2 - done!
Part 3 - 36 hst
Part 4 - 4 triangles
and part 5 is almost here

But... I just finished a throw and ONLY have the king to sandwich & quilt before Christmas.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:42 PM

Yay I'm not the only slow one