Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Our 7th Mystery Quilt Train Ride -- Whoo Hoo >

Our 7th Mystery Quilt Train Ride -- Whoo Hoo

Our 7th Mystery Quilt Train Ride -- Whoo Hoo

Old 10-25-2014, 02:10 AM

Ok, I'm up, coffee in hand. But the clock says we've got to wait for 5 more hours! Guess I'll work on the Teddy Bear I'm making for my Secret Santa partner.
I grew up with Shelties & then didn't have any dogs for years. When hubby & I were driving big rigs we had toy poodles. We lost Candy 4 years ago at age 16 & just lost Duke in January at age 17. Since I'm retired now we decided to switch to Shelties. We both came up watching that show & since I'd been raised with them it was an easy choice. She's such a joy. Lots of company for me as hubby still drives & isn't home most of the time.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:22 AM

Unfortunately I won't be able to work on my blocks until Monday (waaah! ), but I'll be peeking in to see what the next clue is!
Attached Thumbnails caturday.jpg  
Old 10-25-2014, 04:36 AM

That kitten made me laugh so much I nearly spilled my coffee !
Old 10-25-2014, 05:19 AM

I grew up with shelties. Had my first at 16. Then about 10 yrs ago I got long hair chihuahuas. And now, since I raise a small flock of sheep, I decided to get a sheltie. Now I have two. Love my chihuahuas but my shelties are my heart dogs.

And yah! It's clue day!!!! Boy had this train been a fast ride! I've loved ever second of it. Great company, great food, and a cute cabana boy to look at!
Old 10-25-2014, 05:51 AM

Want to send a hostess gift to you -know - who? Send me a pm . Hugs to all. Dotty
Old 10-25-2014, 06:32 AM

OK, so...my name is Sue, and I am a cat person. So I had to google Sheltie and I see they are a beautiful dog. Are they the same as a border collie? Hope that's not blasphemy.

Love the Caturday!!
Old 10-25-2014, 06:35 AM

Default Week 7 and the big reveal!

On Thursday someone said maybe we would be making corner blocks today. Yup. Time to make 4 corner blocks as follows. But first, before cutting anything make sure you read the paragraph below that starts with ** NOTE

PART 1 - Per picture 1: Make 4-1/2” half square triangle blocks. As before, I am using an oversize cut of the 5’’ because I cannot seem to make perfect HST blocks like the books tell me to do. Cut from the left-over pieces of A B C and D -- Fabric A cut six 5” blocks; Fabric B cut two 5” blocks; Fabric C four 5” blocks; Fabric C cut four 5” blocks.

Right sides together, match up 2 each of A-C blocks, 4 each of A-D blocks, 2 each of B-C blocks. Mark a diagonal line then sew as done before. Then cut on diagonal using methods described in previous week, making HST blocks that measure 4-1/2’’ and then sew together to make the 8-1/2’’ square corner blocks.. Make a total of four identical 8-1/2” blocks.

Hopefully the picture will make it more clear what I meant about the making of the 4-1/2” half sq triangle blocks.

**Note; When I designed my quilt, I realized that there would be two ways to use the blocks that make up the outer border. However, I didn’t want to give too much away (or muddy the waters even more!) so I hadn’t said there could be a 2nd choice. If you remember I said my A fabric (the red) was also going to be the border, and you can see it in the last picture. So I assembled my blocks as you see in the pictures below, with the red facing outward and the B toward the inside. However, if I turned these blocks the other way, with the B to the outside, it would have a different look. Play with your blocks, lay them next to the 6 centers and see which you like best. And there is no saying that the border has to be the A fabric. At this point you can change your outside border fabric, and even introduce a new fabric if you wish to. There is no wrong way, and no way that you have to assemble them. Remember, Quilt Police are not allowed entrance into the Quilting Board!
The only thing you will want to do if you are flipping your sets of 4-1/2’’ by 8-1/2’’ blocks would be to carefully look at the assemble of my corner blocks, as the colors would be different. You would use your B instead of my A and vice-versa. I have shown this in picture 3. Out of order, I know, I wanted to keep it near the section where you will be working on it and couldn’t seem to edit words on a picture after saving it.

PART 2 - Per picture 2:
From the blocks put together on week 5, make a pile of block 1 and a pile of block 2, shown in Picture 2. Sew two blocks together as shown, making an 8-1/2’’ x 16-1/2’’ block. There will be 10 of these pairs of blocks. I have shown the back sides to show how they were pressed. This way, when you put block 1 and block 2 together, the seams will oppose one another.

PART 3 – assembly The 4th, 5th and 6th pictures show how to lay out the 6 sections.
Sew the blocks into sections as shown. Each section has a large star block and the HST blocks; four of them show your new corner blocks. And the 7th picture shows how the 6 sections that you just sewed together will lay out. Sew these 6 sections into one quilt top. Press well.

And yes, I goofed on sewing my sections together, they don’t match perfectly.

Second from the bottom picture shows the sashing assembly. For the sashing, I cut seven 1-1/4” pieces of fabric E, seam together as needed. If you haven’t enough E, use something else, or even another fabric entirely. I find 1-1/4” mentally easier for me to manage than cutting the strips at 1” but you can cut 1’‘strips if you wish. Sew strips together, adding to long sides first, press seam toward sashing, and add short side and also press towards sashing. Hint: I always sew sashing facing up, so that if the edges of my quilt are not perfectly square I lay sashing straight to get a nice straight seam. (remember, I told you on Day 1 I am not a perfect quilter)

For border, cut 2” strips of fabric A, sewing strips together with a mitre if you can, and then add to the 4 sides if the quilt top as shown in the final picture. Pin in place so you do not stretch your border or make it longer than the quilt. I always sew long sides first, press away from the quilt top, then sew on the short ends and press.

And voila, you’re done!!! Congratulations to all, your quilts will be stunning. Can’t wait to see your finished tops.

Oh, yes, meant to tell you. Someone, early on, just before the posting of the 3rd clue, said she thought I was making stars and that this could be a Quilt of Valor. Yes, that is exactly what I designed this pattern to be, but figured if I told you that at the beginning, you would all know you would be making stars! The only thing I did differently for my Q of V was to use wider border pieces to make the width 55”, the minimum width for a Q of V.

Well, another train ride is over. Hope you enjoyed your trip as much as I did. And now, I need to get my buns in gear and try and design a scrappy quilt for January, as I promised. Sigh …… hope I didn’t bite off more than I can chew, with the holidays and all that nonsense coming up LOL, hope I can keep on track with my projected Jan. 10, 2015 start date for #8. Eight? Good grief. I must be missing a few crayons out of that old box.
Attached Thumbnails week-7-1.jpg   week-7-2-didnt-do-assembly-week-5.jpg   week-7-a1.jpg   week-7-b.jpg   week-7-c.jpg  

week-7-d.jpg   week-7-e.jpg   week-7-f.jpg   week-7-g.jpg  
Old 10-25-2014, 06:39 AM

giggle Whitepine.... in temperament sort of... ....but not in size......wonderful with children which is somewhat unusual for a small size dog (ok, probably will catch grief for that... I said somewhat, ok) . Shelties are all heart and loyalty .
Old 10-25-2014, 06:42 AM

WOW.....Judy that is gorgeous !!!!!
Old 10-25-2014, 06:56 AM

Thank you! I think it is my favorite of all the mysteries i have done for the QB.

And I can;t wait to see all the tops -- I know there will not be a loser in the bunch, and it sure will be hard to pick a winner. I have been biting my tongue all week as the star blocks have been posted as I know exactly how much pop they will all have. You guys have done great.