Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Our 7th Mystery Quilt Train Ride -- Whoo Hoo >

Our 7th Mystery Quilt Train Ride -- Whoo Hoo

Our 7th Mystery Quilt Train Ride -- Whoo Hoo

Old 11-06-2014, 11:03 AM

TEASER ALERT
LET THE FUN BEGIN ALL OVER AGAIN ON JANUARY 10th!!!

After much agonizing and sketching and throwing out those sketches, I have come up with the scrappy for the January mystery quilt. In fact, I finally narrowed it to two ideas, so I picked one, and then maybe #9 will be another scrappy! And for those of you who wanted to know what is needed, you will need the following:

dark, medium, light, bright and neutrals.

So start sorting those scraps and get ready for the fun in 2 months.

Last edited by paintmejudy; 11-06-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

You knew someone would ask, so let it be me, coz i always have to stir the pot. but how much of each?
so I know. A friend sent me a big box of scraps so i'll need to know if i have enough.

thanks again for all your hard work and making the hard decisions for us. can't wait!
Old 11-06-2014, 11:49 AM

Since I have never made a scrappy quilt, I have a question. How big or small should the scraps be? This will be a challenge for me but I am really looking forward to it.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
TEASER ALERT

After much agonizing and sketching and throwing out those sketches, I have come up with the scrappy for the January mystery quilt. In fact, I finally narrowed it to two ideas, so I picked one, and then maybe #9 will be another scrappy! And for those of you who wanted to know what is needed, you will need the following:

Yay! That list pretty much covers every type of scrap--I love it. Thanks, Judy.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:37 PM

Am trying to post a photo for Roma. The site is being difficult at best Maybe later. Retta
Old 11-06-2014, 12:58 PM

Hi there, thank you all so much for your wonderful comments.

I’m not sure if I should admit to this, but I kind of made it up as I went along! I had a picture in my head of what I wanted, but I have to say it didn’t quite end up like that. I did use a well-ken’t Scottish phrase quite a lot – that saying being “help ma bob”.

I started with the triangle cut-offs from the flying geese, which I joined up into pinwheels and hourglass blocks. I trimmed these to the size of the smallest unit, which handily turned out to be 3 inches unfinished, so all the additional blocks were made to match that size.

Then I made the diamonds – because I’d bought the tri-recs ruler a couple of months ago and hadn’t used it yet!

I made four 9-patches, simply because I like making 9-patches lol. Never made one this small before tho…

So by now I had 24 units. At this point I decided that if I lined one unit against each of the large purple triangles in the quilt, then I only needed 4 more units for the corners. I found I had 4 small maroon squares left over from mis-counting when making the 9-patches, so I used up the tiniest scraps to make wonky log cabins.

Now I had to join it all together somehow. I had pre-cut and laid aside enough of the purple dotty fabric to add the final outer border to match the inner. I decided to cut ‘ladder rungs’ with the remainder to add to either side of all the units. No sums here, just cut 1.5 inches wide, and added them to both ends of everything lol.

Then I had to work out what size plain squares I needed to align everything correctly. This is when I resorted to paper and pen…..

This is also when I started to say ‘help ma bob’ quite a lot lol.

I eventually worked it out for the square units, but the diamond shaped ones totally defeated me mentally!

I’m going to gloss over quite a lot of ‘help ma bob’ moments here!

I ended up on the floor with the quilt spread out, all the extra bits lined up, and using a ruler to measure the gaps! All very technically you understand he he. You should have seen the look on DH’s face!

So eventually, after a lot of ‘gittering about’ (another good phrase lol) I eventually found enough bits of fabric to fit it all together - tho not aligned as I’d planned cos I must have got the sums wrong after all!

If you look closely at the corners, you’ll see that the last few inches are made up from 1 inch wide strips joined together. This was the very last of my dotty fabric. Desperate need calls for desperate measures lol. But on the Galloping Horse Principle, only I will know it’s like that once it’s quilted!!

Again, thank you all for your great comments, and I'm looking forward to playing with more scraps in January - hopefully slightly bigger scraps than these were lol.
Cheers, K
Old 11-06-2014, 01:22 PM

luv the galloping horse principle....now if I could find one wearing blinders
Old 11-06-2014, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Siodach View Post
Hi there, thank you all so much for your wonderful comments.

I’m not sure if I should admit to this, but I kind of made it up as I went along! I had a picture in my head of what I wanted, but I have to say it didn’t quite end up like that. I did use a well-ken’t Scottish phrase quite a lot – that saying being “help ma bob”.

I started with the triangle cut-offs from the flying geese, which I joined up into pinwheels and hourglass blocks. I trimmed these to the size of the smallest unit, which handily turned out to be 3 inches unfinished, so all the additional blocks were made to match that size.

Then I made the diamonds – because I’d bought the tri-recs ruler a couple of months ago and hadn’t used it yet!

I made four 9-patches, simply because I like making 9-patches lol. Never made one this small before tho…

So by now I had 24 units. At this point I decided that if I lined one unit against each of the large purple triangles in the quilt, then I only needed 4 more units for the corners. I found I had 4 small maroon squares left over from mis-counting when making the 9-patches, so I used up the tiniest scraps to make wonky log cabins.

Now I had to join it all together somehow. I had pre-cut and laid aside enough of the purple dotty fabric to add the final outer border to match the inner. I decided to cut ‘ladder rungs’ with the remainder to add to either side of all the units. No sums here, just cut 1.5 inches wide, and added them to both ends of everything lol.

Then I had to work out what size plain squares I needed to align everything correctly. This is when I resorted to paper and pen…..

This is also when I started to say ‘help ma bob’ quite a lot lol.

I eventually worked it out for the square units, but the diamond shaped ones totally defeated me mentally!

I’m going to gloss over quite a lot of ‘help ma bob’ moments here!

I ended up on the floor with the quilt spread out, all the extra bits lined up, and using a ruler to measure the gaps! All very technically you understand he he. You should have seen the look on DH’s face!

So eventually, after a lot of ‘gittering about’ (another good phrase lol) I eventually found enough bits of fabric to fit it all together - tho not aligned as I’d planned cos I must have got the sums wrong after all!

If you look closely at the corners, you’ll see that the last few inches are made up from 1 inch wide strips joined together. This was the very last of my dotty fabric. Desperate need calls for desperate measures lol. But on the Galloping Horse Principle, only I will know it’s like that once it’s quilted!!

Again, thank you all for your great comments, and I'm looking forward to playing with more scraps in January - hopefully slightly bigger scraps than these were lol.
Cheers, K
Help ma bob--I can use that! It is so nice to hear that I'm not the only one who puts things together like that--my technique is rarely textbook, but it works for me. Beautiful result!
Old 11-06-2014, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
TEASER ALERT

Oh you little tease, you! Just my kind of scrappy! Just have to dig into the appropriate bin! Is it January 10th yet???
Old 11-06-2014, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

is it January yet?
I love it. it gives us somethiing to look forward to after the holidays.

Judy, another great idea!