Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Our 7th Mystery Quilt Train Ride -- Whoo Hoo >

Our 7th Mystery Quilt Train Ride -- Whoo Hoo

Our 7th Mystery Quilt Train Ride -- Whoo Hoo

Old 09-19-2014, 06:06 AM

OMG I have just looked at all your selections and feel very insecure with my choices- some of which are en route from equilter.com. However, I am going to San Francisco next week. It would be fun to buy a whole set of batiks, and make that a SF memory quilt. Maybe let DD pick them out & make it for her. We made an upside down flan cake. I'll put it in the club car.
Attached Thumbnails magic-flan-cake.jpg  
Old 09-19-2014, 06:19 AM

24 hrs untill clue #2 getting excited waiting for sat.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:52 AM

I'm going to stumble into the club car and hope the coffee is made to go with that beautiful flan I see......

Any cake severd with a cup of coffee is coffee cake right? Therefore an acceptable breakfast?
Old 09-19-2014, 07:15 AM

upside down flan cake? Never heard of it before, but it sure looks good! it'll go good with the Dunkin Donuts coffee I just made in the club car.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:18 AM

I usually do mini's Maybe I should be brave and try a larger quilt.... I will have to see if I have enough fabric... or maybe I will just HAVE to go shopping. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:21 AM

Upside down flan cake, luscious!
Old 09-19-2014, 07:26 AM

so do you mean... 44inches wof, or 1 yard plus 1/3 of a yard?? for A
C= 1/2 yard... is that what you mean... I am confused.

Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
Slightly more than 2 years ago we jumped on board for our first mystery quilt, and here we are, at it again. Thank you so much to all of you who have been so supportive of my little mysteries. I think I enjoy doing these more than you, and am so happy that you have liked what I have come up with in the past.

Today, Thursday, will be the first clue – fabric requirements. I will be at my daughter’s this weekend, leaving tomorrow morning, so want to get it to you today. But from now on, new clues will post Saturday mornings by 9:00 a.m. Pacific time zone, with week 2 being September 20th and week 8 will be Nov. 1st, the week of the final clues.

Don’t feel stressed if you aren’t keeping up due to life getting in the way. The thread will always be here and you can refer back to it any time. But all new clues will be posted on this thread, so bookmark it for ease of returning to this spot. Week 6 is a shorter lesson and will allow you to catch up if neccessary.

And with that said, welcome to all … new passengers and returning riders. The club car is open and fresh coffee and hot water for tea awaits. Can’t wait to see what goodies appear on the snack table. Confident beginners to advanced quilters are welcome. As always, for the beginners, I may give a bit more information than the more advanced sewers need, but I want everyone to be successful.

At the end of week 8 you will have a quilt top of about 53” wide by 68” long, the perfect lap quilt.
(Adding extra borders will adjust your quilt to a larger size if you want. Additional yardage for extra borders is not included below.) Someone asked in the thread from the #6 mystery for a quilt that could be decreased in size, if this pattern is a large one. This one can be adjusted but you will have to wait until the very end to see how it is coming together, so you can judge how much less fabric you will need.
My fabrics chosen for this quilt top are shown below. Small to medium scale fabrics, solids and tone-on-tones will work best with this pattern. I have calculated my fabric needs on having 42” of useable fabric. A few extra inches have been allowed in each color.

FABRIC REQUIREMENTS:
Fabric A -- 44”
This will be my only hint; I am doing the border with the A fabric and uses 16” WOF of the 44” fabric requirement. You will need additional 16” of one of the other fabrics and less of A if you choose to have a different border. You may wish to decide on the border at the end of the clues.

Fabric B -- 28’”

Fabric C – 18”

Fabric D -- 44”

Fabric E -- 40”

I’ll be checking in a couple times a day during this first week to see if you need any help. Happy stash diving or shopping trips!

Approved by Patrice 9/1/2014
Old 09-19-2014, 07:46 AM

hi, here are my probable fabrics, colours are not as bright on the photo and real life. i have had to revert to my laptop for this although I am sure i have used the Ipad before to upload photos!
Attached Thumbnails img_3669.jpg  
Old 09-19-2014, 07:52 AM

Wow, take a day off and you guys really posted a lot of stuff yesterday! So, let's get to it. And yes, I know, you are all waiting for tomorrow morning!!!

Billi - all are nice, your choice, either will work well.
meganc - wow, great colors. Yes you shold be ok with that strip of sun damage. Worred about the directional strips.
nana - good choice of A-E with the dark blue as A will be great.
Sulabug - in top pix I know you won't be happy with the wide stripe. In the second group, love those gourds! Have you thought about switching the blue with the green from top pix? Looks like it would fit in.
angelia - lookin' good! -- Love your fan fabric.
chefb - very nice
lynnie - lobsters in E position at 1 yard will work if you have a little extra of something else. the "something else" will be used at the very end and could even be a different fabric all together. ok, everyone - that is a hint alert -- I guess you all know what meant LOL.
sunlite - gorgeous fabrics!
ooooo lynnie, all that good stuff in eggs make you strong and invincible LOL
luannh and bluelady, welcome.
blue lady, love the top selection, so vibrant.
dotty - that flan looks to die for.. If buying SF batiks, make sure you have plenty of contrast.
sdeaaz - jump on in, try it, it's going to be fun. And yes, 44= 1-1/3". I some times put things in inches instead of yards in case you have something in your stash you really want to use. For example, i might say you need 1/2 yard but you really needed 16" -- I try to factor in a little wiggle room.

Will check back with you in the early afternoon, see you then.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:55 AM

Sarah - you posted while i was typing my replies. Didn't see your photo of beautiful fabrics. These will work very well, going to be soo pretty.