Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011 >

Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011

Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011

Old 09-26-2011, 12:47 PM

Great block and quilts Judith - I especially love the colours of the last one.

Hi Irene - good to hear from you. (I have just been over in the House BOM thread and saw you there.) It's always nice to visit quilt shops out of your normal area as they often have totally different stock to browse through. With the price of fabric here, I mostly buy in FQs instead of yardage when I see something I like. I have a little of lots of "special" fabrics and just purchase co-ordinates when I see them on special.

I am putting my PH blocks together without the stars, but rather on the slow side. Were you intending to do the star settings?
Old 09-30-2011, 07:10 AM

DeeCee that nappy cake is fantastic! Don't think I've ever seen one that nice with all the stuffed characters. I'll bet the soon to be mommy was tickled pink!

hugs, Jup
Old 09-30-2011, 07:15 AM

Hi Irene....

What part of California are you visiting in? We live in Bakersfield.... if you are any where close, maybe we could shop together?

hugs, Jup
Old 09-30-2011, 12:58 PM

Not only was the mum to be tickled pink with the nappy cake, her DH (when he arrived later to pick her up) insisted in being the one to pull the whole thing to pieces so he could unroll every growsuit, bib and bunnyrug to check them all out.

Good thing I took a pic beforehand.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:32 PM

Well, I have struck a small hic-cup. Went to cut my sashing strips and was low on the black fabric I was using in the blocks.

Grabbed my other piece from the cupboard and it's a different black. Bummer! Fortunately I had written down the brand/names of all the fabrics I am using in PH so know exactly what I need to get - just have to get the chance to make the drive there.

I was all enthused (and had the time) to get the sashing done too!
Old 10-09-2011, 04:14 PM

Hello everyone! Deecee - I loved looking at the shower pictures - what a great diaper cake! Judith I'm enjoying your pictures too lovely block and great quilts!

I have not fallen off the face of the earth, as you may have suspected. I just lost my mojo a little bit because the last two blocks (for me) - Sarah's Star and Slashed Album require piecing, applique and then more piecing and applique. I don't know why, but I really dislike those kind of blocks! Disrupts my flow or something I guess. Anyway, I gave myself a kick in the pants and got Slashed Album done. Now I have only one ONE MORE BLOCK!

So, I'm going to just buckle down and work on Sarah's Star tonight - even though I've been dreading it because it requires two rounds of piecing and applique (oh the horror!)

Here's my Slashed Album. Thanks for looking and be on the look-out for Sarah's Star, coming soon!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-268605.jpe  
Old 10-09-2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Deecee
Well, I have struck a small hic-cup. Went to cut my sashing strips and was low on the black fabric I was using in the blocks.

Grabbed my other piece from the cupboard and it's a different black. Bummer! Fortunately I had written down the brand/names of all the fabrics I am using in PH so know exactly what I need to get - just have to get the chance to make the drive there.

I was all enthused (and had the time) to get the sashing done too!
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear about the sashing fabric. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I have enough of that brown print fabric to do my sashing and binding. I bought more a while back, but I'm not sure what I have left and I don't think I can get more!

I hope that you have the time to get more fabric soon - and the energy and inclination to work on the sashing once you get it!
Old 10-09-2011, 09:39 PM

Great block Lara. Looking forward to seeing next one.

Fortunately the black I need was one I purchased en route to visit my Mum so next time I visit her I will get some more. The blocks are all up on my design wall tapping their collective feet so I don't get distracted.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:56 AM

Hi All....

Sorry I've been absent from this group for so long... I've been quilting! Actually, you remember the blue and yellow 12" daisy blocks I was making here? Well, I have them just about put into a king sized quilt for my daughter and hubby for Christmas. Imagine this... acdtually having a Christmas quilt ready before Christmas! lol

When the top is together , I will post a photo. My 6" brown and green blocks are still on hold. Maybe they are next to become a quilt.

hugs, all around,
Jup
Old 10-10-2011, 11:28 AM

Congratulations on being ahead of the game with your Christmas pressie quilt. Look forward to seeing a pic.

I haven't thought about Christmas yet - have a new GB due soon and a couple of birthdays to get through first.