Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   [DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/%5Bdear%5D-jane-stickle-cyber-block-party-jan-2010-thru-may-jun-2011-a-t28063.html)

Marinemom2J 12-02-2009 08:28 AM

I am using CW repro fabrics and muslin for my quilts. Yep, quilts :shock: My daughter and I are going to make a pink and brown mother/daughter quilt and I am also making one for my son using blues, greens, and browns. As you have probably guessed, my son is a US Marine and I am using this as my escape and stress relief. He is set to deploy for Afghan in Jan, so the timing for this is perfect. I will probably upset any DJ "purists" because I am planning to stitch Wartime 2009-10 onto the signature kite, but it is my quilt :)

bearisgray 12-02-2009 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Marinemom2J
I am using CW repro fabrics and muslin for my quilts. Yep, quilts :shock: My daughter and I are going to make a pink and brown mother/daughter quilt and I am also making one for my son using blues, greens, and browns. As you have probably guessed, my son is a US Marine and I am using this as my escape and stress relief. He is set to deploy for Afghan in Jan, so the timing for this is perfect. I will probably upset any DJ "purists" because I am planning to stitch Wartime 2009-10 onto the signature kite, but it is my quilt :)

Excellent idea - almost all of these quilts are "in the manner of Jane A. Stickle" - not exact replicas

MoodyKim 12-02-2009 09:06 AM

Help, I can't make up my mind on background fabric :!: I was going with white. Then I seen the black one that the link was posted for it is so neat I love the way it looks. just can't make up my mind. Are some of you doing dark or mostly white or cream? I feel like I am behind already :-) DD is getting me the software for christmas while I am waiting for it I am working on PP tut.

sewsewquilter 12-02-2009 09:20 AM

Great idea!

Marinemom2J 12-02-2009 09:22 AM

Thanks. I thought of it the other day and just couldn't get it off my mind. :-)

Sheree from Chicago 12-02-2009 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns

Originally Posted by Sheree from Chicago

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
i just started counting up the names of the people who will be in the Cyber Block Party (drum roll please)

its 56

how incredible will that be at the end and there's 56 pics of various jane quilts posted on the forum.

I bet there will be more. Do ya think?

there might be a few more waiting to see if they get the stuff for christmas.

it really adds up quickly. i'm not used to making such large quilts and i was surprised at how much fabric you need.

Oh damn. I hate having to buy lots of fabric! Not!!! We're going to have so much fun. Can't wait!

ai731 12-02-2009 10:39 AM

Since Jane made her quilt during the Civil War, I think making a Baby Jane that commemorates your son's military service is very much in keeping with the spirit of Jane's original quilt!

Jan

Tiffany 12-02-2009 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Ok, I have the book, I have just ordered the software and ruler, so please add me to your list for the Cyber party. All I need now is yards and yards of background and sashing, and I have no idea what to choose for that. What is everyone else doing please?

I haven't decided yet. I want to do a dark background but am waiting to see what fabrics go on sale before Jan. and I'll make my decision then. I am considering doing one dark background and one light background, which means I'll go out and by a bolt of muslin for the background. I may do that anyway and dye my own fabric if nothing out there strikes my fancy before we officially start. I know, not very helpful is it. :lol:

bearisgray 12-02-2009 01:22 PM

I'm using tea-dyed muslin - even though the end of the bolt says it's pre-shrunk - it isn't. So it's getting the hot water soak and then the tepid wash, cold rinse, and moderate drying treatment.

I have the book - haven't figured out yet if the software will run on this Mac without buying some other software - and I'm going to acquire some more graph paper.

I will be using "old-fashioned" small blue prints and "old-fashioned" (old-fashioned to me, anyway) shades of rusts, brown, and oranges.

So far, I seem to have two things going - the blues are more or less like Miss Jane's blocks and the others are using different color placements.

cutebuns 12-02-2009 01:26 PM

If you run window on the Mac then it should work, but if not I am not sure, I have it on my PC and not my mac, I run the two computers anyway as my embroidery software is a windows based program as well. But prefer my mac.

I actually hope that I have everything that I need in my scrap bin, including the fabric for the background, it won't be all the same but I hope similar enough to work, As I go along I should have more scraps to work with from other projects.