Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   1 January 2010 Block of the Month, for January!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/1-january-2010-block-month-january-t32824.html)

SharonC 01-04-2010 08:50 AM

Cheryl - I've never done a BOM so this will be my first. I have a color scheme in mind (the hard part :)), but I'm not sure if I need to buy enough fabric for the entire quilt. I suppose this is a beginner question, but I was so inspired by your choice for January that I've decided to JUMP IN :)
Also, when are they due? I'll be on vacation 16-24 Jan, will that be a problem?
Thanks
Sharon

SulaBug 01-04-2010 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by SharonC
Cheryl - I've never done a BOM so this will be my first. I have a color scheme in mind (the hard part :)), but I'm not sure if I need to buy enough fabric for the entire quilt. I suppose this is a beginner question, but I was so inspired by your choice for January that I've decided to JUMP IN :)
Also, when are they due? I'll be on vacation 16-24 Jan, will that be a problem?
Thanks
Sharon

Sharon,
So glad to have you join us. They aren't due at any specific time. You can make all of them or just the ones you like the best. As for fabric, I just used pieces that I liked from my stash.
In 2009 I chose to make a Christmas theme quilt & bought my fabric in January when it was on sale. I bought a lot, as I can always use it. And yes, I did have way to much fabric!!:D When making these once a month, when you are finished, you can pick a sashing fabric that will bring them all together. I love to experiment & try out all of the new patterns. It's really fun.
I will be anxious to see what everyone comes up with. Be sure to post your pictures as you get going!!
Thank you,
:D :D :D

SharonC 01-04-2010 05:13 PM

Cheryl - Thanks for such a quick reply...going shopping tomorrow :) (any excuse), I'm looking forward to joining in and having a wonderful quilt at the end of the year. I'm excited about it the blocks done so far are beautiful and I'm sure I'll learn a lot.
Sharon

blahel 01-05-2010 10:26 PM

thanks for such a lovely block! i have never attempted a BOM before but have watched everyone being so creative that i finally decided that i am going to give it a go.
Update..it is now several hours later and after initially getting everything cut out and taking my time to minimise mistakes, i am now busy ripping..i am going to do this and I am not going to let it beat me but think i will go and do a few chores before attempting it again. Wish me luck as i really, really want to do this as i am alreay looking forward to Februarys block!
I just feel so dumb as you ladies crank them out so fast..

Barb M 01-05-2010 10:30 PM

blahel, don't feel dumb at all lol. I'm still trying to crank mine out lol. I don't do triangles lol, unless i have to, so i'm paperpiecing mine :) :) :)

adrianlee 01-06-2010 07:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This January block is fun! I spent all afternoon on Monday playing with the colors in my bin of scraps. This BOM quilt will be made from my scraps. I still can't believe it took me all afternoon to do one block but I did cut and sew different colors to come up with this one. So I have other little pieces now for other little things. Here is my January block.

January block 2010
[ATTACH=CONFIG]63371[/ATTACH]

Corry 01-06-2010 10:23 AM

Wow....Very pretty! I really like how your block turned out.

Cyndi H 01-06-2010 10:23 AM

Beautiful purples, Adrianlee!

Corry 01-06-2010 10:26 AM

Hi Ladies....I think i will join you fot the BOM. I really like the January choice and it sounds like fun. Found it easy to save the pdf file to my computer and have plenty of stash to play with and see what I come up with. Hard part will be getting my sewing room back in shape from the holidays. Still have a few Christmas boxes that need put away but this will get me motivated. Catch ya later.... :o)

SulaBug 01-06-2010 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Corry
Hi Ladies....I think i will join you fot the BOM. I really like the January choice and it sounds like fun. Found it easy to save the pdf file to my computer and have plenty of stash to play with and see what I come up with. Hard part will be getting my sewing room back in shape from the holidays. Still have a few Christmas boxes that need put away but this will get me motivated. Catch ya later.... :o)

Corry,
Hi there & welcome to the 2010 BOM thread!! :D I am so glad that you are joining all of us. I know you will love putting this block together. It was a fun one for me to do, too!!
:D :D :D :D