Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/2012-2013-dear-jane-stickle-2d-cyber-party-pictures-discussion-t175669.html)

CindyA 07-19-2012 04:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
D-11 Snow Crystal
As you can see I'm not quite done appliqueing that last little piece down, but am anxious to post the picture. I'm going in to my optometrist for a fine tuning of my prescription and want to save that little bit of handwork to 'test' and make sure we get the glasses right this time.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]350068[/ATTACH]

CindyA 07-19-2012 04:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I am not particularly 'techy.' So after playing around a while trying to do this on my computer here is what I did. This was to help me keep my colors distributed for this project. I did not set out to have a particular color scheme and intend on working primarily from my stash. When I started I just went through my shelves and grabbed a bunch of fabric that felt 'right.' As I finish each block I cut a 1/2" square and use Elmer's liquid glue to glue it down on the graph paper. Easy, fast, and I get a feel for how the colors are distributed without having to take the blocks out each time. I don't like to handle the blocks too often for fear I'll start stretching and distorting them.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]350069[/ATTACH]
Here's a close up.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]350070[/ATTACH]
Sorry the pictures are so large. I had been able to put them up smaller but now can't and don't know why.

katybob 07-19-2012 05:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cindy -- I'm doing the same thing and it's really helpful. Wish I'd started it when I started my first DJ last year. That's the one on the right. I thought I was making an around the world color pattern til I stuck the swatches to the paper. Oh, well, random's good, too!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]350073[/ATTACH]

Jeanine 07-19-2012 01:56 PM

Cindy A, Katybob: what great ideas!

CindyA 07-20-2012 02:15 AM

@ Katybob Thanks for sharing, I'm glad I'm not the only one doing it this way.

Another thing I think I might do is go through some of the previous posts and make a list of what post # have hints and tutorials for the different blocks. For instance, when I started D-11 I couldn't remember if anyone had given hints, posted pictures, etc. but I didn't want to search I just wanted to dive right in. If I had a list I think I'd have taken the time to look at them.

mawluv 07-20-2012 03:40 AM

Girls, this is a great idea, thanks for sharing.

QuiltnNan 07-20-2012 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by CindyA (Post 5379221)
@ Katybob Thanks for sharing, I'm glad I'm not the only one doing it this way.

Another thing I think I might do is go through some of the previous posts and make a list of what post # have hints and tutorials for the different blocks. For instance, when I started D-11 I couldn't remember if anyone had given hints, posted pictures, etc. but I didn't want to search I just wanted to dive right in. If I had a list I think I'd have taken the time to look at them.

A little bit of help in this regard is on post #1. There is a link to each week of our journey. Not as specific as your idea, but maybe a place to start.

Cre8tvlwyr 07-20-2012 08:32 AM

I printed out the schedule which I keep in my DJ book [not that I've been able to stick to it!!!]

Every time I post a tute and I think most of the times I have seen other tutes on this thread, I pencil the post number on the schedule somewhere next to or above the block#. I have listed them from time to time - I don't know if it would be possible to add this info with the starting posts on post #1 as well??
Gus

Fabric Galore 07-20-2012 01:20 PM

Cindy & Katybob, what a great idea. I think I will do the same thing. I am trying to do a trip around the world but I don't want to keep repeating the same fabric.

CindyA 07-20-2012 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5379384)
A little bit of help in this regard is on post #1. There is a link to each week of our journey. Not as specific as your idea, but maybe a place to start.

I see that now, Nancy. Thank you. It's been a long time since I looked at that first post!

Here is D-13 Field of Dreams
I was trying to get some of the applique blocks ready to work on and couldn't resist another quick and easy (catch-up) block.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]350348[/ATTACH]