Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/2012-2013-dear-jane-stickle-2d-cyber-party-pictures-discussion-t175669.html)

TymeToShine 01-28-2012 07:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer (Post 4920102)
Hi, I am not only wanting to have the block 'spin' as Jane's original did, but I would also like to duplicate her "wonky" look. I think Jane did that on purpose; similar to how F-1 is drafted. Is anyone aware of a pattern for this? If not, I think I will draft my own.

Actually, the wonky look is what I was asking about, not the mirror image. I ended up going into EQ and drawing a wonky pattern...then the fun began! On my first try, I forgot to put colored fabric into the offshoots..so I started another block. I got it together only to discover I had made an error in my drawing and had 2 of the lines off by one dot. So...I went into EQ and corrected that error and sewed yet another block. See all three below, Unfortunately as I was pressing the last seam open on the correct block, for some reason, I felt the little wand iron I use needed a bit more pressure and without thinking, I pressed down on the bar with my left hand OUCH!! 2 nasty burns on my middle and thrid finger. Bet I won't do that again. Anyway, I do like the look of the wonky pinwheel ... I think it looks more like the one in Jane's quilt.

linmid 01-29-2012 01:19 AM

I have been unable to start the DJ project, but have been following all of your progress. All of the blocks and colors are looking great. Maybe before long I will be able to start.

QuiltnNan 01-29-2012 04:53 AM

Linda, I was confused as to what you were referring to about original A1. I went to sewNso's close-up pictures here http://www.flickr.com/photos/6885328...in/photostream
Now I see what you mean about her block being wonky. Yours is very close to hers :thumbup:

QuiltnNan 01-29-2012 05:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here are my week 3 blocks in red and cream. i can't even tell you how many times i resewed the seams in the geese to get the points right :o
[ATTACH=CONFIG]307088[/ATTACH]

JudyTheSewer 01-29-2012 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by TymeToShine (Post 4920655)
Actually, the wonky look is what I was asking about, not the mirror image. I ended up going into EQ and drawing a wonky pattern...then the fun began! On my first try, I forgot to put colored fabric into the offshoots..so I started another block. I got it together only to discover I had made an error in my drawing and had 2 of the lines off by one dot. So...I went into EQ and corrected that error and sewed yet another block. See all three below, Unfortunately as I was pressing the last seam open on the correct block, for some reason, I felt the little wand iron I use needed a bit more pressure and without thinking, I pressed down on the bar with my left hand OUCH!! 2 nasty burns on my middle and thrid finger. Bet I won't do that again. Anyway, I do like the look of the wonky pinwheel ... I think it looks more like the one in Jane's quilt.

Oh, Linda! So sorry about those burns! I hope they heal fast. I LOVE your block :-) I will have to draft my own too, I need it to look like that. You did a great job. I am sorry it took 3 takes to get it perfect but the final outcome is worth it! I'm finding that I am using my seam ripper an awful lot on these blockes - LOL - I am making bunches of mistakes (fabrics sewn with wrong side to right side seems to be my most common error - haha)

katybob 01-29-2012 08:11 AM

Week 3 blocks

1 Attachment(s)
Here are my blocks for Week 3, both the ones I made last summer and the current ones.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]307115[/ATTACH]

echoemb 01-29-2012 09:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my blocks for this upcoming week. HATE the A1 block, only made 4 times and my points still didn't come out but its done and I'm tired of messing with it. My circles are alittle wonky but again, after it is washed no one will know. I have found I enjoy paper piecing. I have found a technique that I like and they are fun.

motomom 01-29-2012 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by TymeToShine (Post 4920655)

Here is a link to how I did mine. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...n-t175038.html

You are right, the block in the book is not like Jane's original block. That inner pinwheel square is NOT square. I got my colors mirrored, but I was pretty happy with how the block looks compared to Jane's original.

Fraew 01-29-2012 09:54 AM

Wk3 - A1, A5, B1

1 Attachment(s)
A1 - English Paper Pieced - Don't know what I was thinking doing this block this way!
A5 - Paper Pieced - Last minute color change to make the block look more like the original but in 3 colors.
B1 - The buttons were basted to cardstock paper (like I use for EPP) and then appliqued with silk thread (love that stuff) to the background fabric.

urgodschild2 01-29-2012 10:04 AM

I am getting confused with the talke about the signature block and this DJ quilt. Are you going to start a separate thread for those who want to do the signature block and the triangle or square thing?