Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/2012-2013-dear-jane-stickle-2d-cyber-party-pictures-discussion-t175669.html)

Cre8tvlwyr 03-01-2013 08:53 AM

Thanks for showing that Cindy! not only is the block WOW perfect - great job!!!
you helped me make up my mind about what to do with mine... you may notice I only sewed those background 2 1/2" squares to one side [the other side is only pinned in place] I'm going to attach background to the other sides of the middle so that I can recapture that diagonal miter seam - the points are so much better looking, secure, and easier to make!
Gus

katybob 03-01-2013 09:10 AM

Gus and Cindy, I ended up doing sort of a hybrid of both of yours. I appliqued the triangles and tucked the ends into the diagonal seams. The wobbly center is still somewhat of a problem, but hopefully that'll "quilt out".

GV09 03-01-2013 10:29 AM

4 Attachment(s)
... I hear ladies and I fear for my life! Hahaha!
It seems basic Chinese to my ears at this time I'm not immersed in DJ!
But I'm that "evil child of I-10" when the time comes!
For now... today only I show them some pictures of my day to steal the smile! I'm testing my other birthday gift, a new camera!
A big hug!

sewNso 03-02-2013 01:16 PM

everyone's blocks are beautiful. i'm trying to get my 2nd jane done. 3 kites to go, and a couple tri's to sew the applique on. i did RS10, RS6, and darn, didn't put the number on the other one. the RS one with the circle in the middle and 3 tri's on the top.
did i ever share my orginal jane pictures with you that i took a couple years ago? would you like to see them. not individual pic's but sections. and my camera got them real clear.

DottyD 03-02-2013 01:48 PM

OOhh yes please sewNso - would love to see them !

katybob 03-02-2013 03:35 PM

I'd love to see them, too, sewNso!

sewNso 03-02-2013 03:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
okay, i'll try a few and see if it works.[ATTACH=CONFIG]399274[/ATTACH]looks a little big, let me work with it.

anyone have any suggestions of how to show you these pic's without uploading each one? i am really not that good at this.
the orginal was in mint condition. it had never been used. there were only about 3 discoloration/age darkening spots on it.

Cre8tvlwyr 03-03-2013 10:10 AM

F8, H11 and I10 look like they're made out of the same fabric!
Also when I post my G8 in a while [gotta take those pictures!] you can see it looks like a clear repro of her F-7....awesome! thanks sewNso:thumbup:

Cre8tvlwyr 03-03-2013 12:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow!! last post was mine... so I can show you exactly what I mean by my G8 fabric looking like Jane's!
Here are blocks H5 [wk of Dec 16] and G8 [wk of Oct 14.....really???] I paper pieced the top and bottom triangles that contain four pieces and then simply measured the rest. G8 I used EPP. I did have to do just a little reverse sewing to one of the corners and setting triangles because when I thought I was done a few days ago and put my Jane square on top to trim it, I realized I would be chopping off a couple of points, so I removed a corner square and setting triangle to 'readjust' it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]399500[/ATTACH]
now... for the continuing saga of I-10!

Cre8tvlwyr 03-03-2013 12:50 PM

7 Attachment(s)
OK... so I reverse-sewed EVERYTHING!!! and very carefully too, because I had only a 10" square of this print and I had fussy cut every point and square so it would have some green... the majority of the print was a large red flower. I had to wash out all blue fabric marker, dry and press...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]399503[/ATTACH]I guess I shouldnt have said "everything" because as you see I kept those outer sections containing the print squares intact. I traced the block from the book, cut out an 'under section' and marked the top edge of the square and cut a little window there so that I could line up each section evenly. I wanted a little more space above the little squares, so my mark is not in the same spot as the book, but I think a little closer to Jane's perhaps. I will have a little background at the outer edge as well - just not a lot.

I used fabric marker to mark all sewing lines at the upper/inner edges of those under sections and carefully trimmed exactly 1/4" from the edge. Meanwhile, I also carefully traced the center square directly onto the wrong side of my fabric and sewed the points on, starting and stopping exactly at the corners of the square.[ATTACH=CONFIG]399509[/ATTACH]
OOOPs - so sorry thought I had taken a picture of the markings on the under sections and cuts - but I think you can get enough from all other photos to know what I mean...
I next started to machine sew the individual short sections. I also noticed that it really is difficult to get precisely into the corners and the final miters coming out of the points toward the corners of the block. I will sew these by hand later. Here is what I've done so far... I do think it will work! It is a kind of 'faux-thatquilt.com'[ATTACH=CONFIG]399510[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]399511[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]399512[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]399513[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]399514[/ATTACH]
You can see I pointed the seam ripper to show my inner corner is not quite finished! But it looks like the finished product will lie flat and I even think it has a bit of the same 'flavor' as Jane's.

The blocks assigned for this week on the schedule are BRC - our first kite! and LS1. I checked out both the thatquilt.com and Aunt Reen sites. Their instructions are similar. I do intend to applique the melon flower and reverse applique the small one on the kite - the embroidered info will have to wait until Jane is done [should have been as diligent as Gladys about keeping my piece info!:(] As for LS1, I will definitely paperpiece. One of the sites did not have the Y-seam - I think I will avoid it as well. Hope to have something more to show in the next day or so!
Gus