Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/2012-2013-dear-jane-stickle-2d-cyber-party-pictures-discussion-t175669.html)

QuiltnNan 02-26-2012 06:31 AM

echoemb, what size quilt are you trying to make? will you be doing all of the blocks? the reason that i ask is that, with 6.5" blocks and not making any other changes to the sashing or height of the tris, your quilt will turn out to be 110x110. your tris would then be 7 wide by 8 tall. if you want to keep the tris in the same proportion as the original quilt, they would be 7x11.5, making the quilt 117x117 - very large indeed :) if that is what you want to do, it would probably be best to get a custom tri ruler made, as previously discussed last week custom ruler

QuiltnNan 02-26-2012 06:43 AM

TymeToShine, thanks for the encouragement. I just printed out A-9 in foundation mode as it looks like the best way to do that one. I just don't know how to decide how big a piece of fabric to choose for behind the paper. I hate wasting too much fabric :)

Fraew 02-26-2012 09:40 AM

@quiltnnan

Try holding your foundation up to a light and placing your fabric on the back to cover your space plus a generous seam allowance. Cut larger than you think you need when you first start...until you get the hang of it. Sew, make sure it covers the space and trim to 1/4" seam allowance or less. Trust me...a little extra fabric until you get the hang of it is worth it to minimize the frog stitching. Once you get going with this technique, scraps will work just fine for these small blocks. :)

echoemb 02-26-2012 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5009544)
echoemb, what size quilt are you trying to make? will you be doing all of the blocks? the reason that i ask is that, with 6.5" blocks and not making any other changes to the sashing or height of the tris, your quilt will turn out to be 110x110. your tris would then be 7 wide by 8 tall. if you want to keep the tris in the same proportion as the original quilt, they would be 7x11.5, making the quilt 117x117 - very large indeed :) if that is what you want to do, it would probably be best to get a custom tri ruler made, as previously discussed last week custom ruler

QuiltnNan: Thanks for the help. I don't plan on doing a quilt 100x100 as it won't go on my bed. I have dogs and something that I spend this much time doing, is not going to be a dog blanket. SO...that being said, I will probably aim for maybe 2 twin/queen sized quilts and give them to my nieces with alittle something left over for a wall hanging. I am so enjoying making these blocks so I'll certainly have to figure something out to do with all these blocks. Again, thanks I think the tri I got at 144% is the right size of 7X8 and I will get a plexiglass template..

Fabric Galore 02-26-2012 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by CindyA (Post 5007681)
I think they look great QuiltnNan! Did you see the tip a while back on using the Crayola drawing pad paper for paper piecing? I bet you would like that to start paper piecing.

I went to Wal*Mart and I looked at the doodle pad by Crayola. The paper seems too opaque to be able to see the fabric on the other side. Did I look at the right pad? The paper had the texture of news print.

Cre8tvlwyr 02-26-2012 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by echoemb (Post 5009422)
Well it looks like I'm not going to do the Tri's as I'm not sure my measurements are right and I don't want to make a whole bunch of these and find out that they don't fit. My blocks are 6.5" and had problems trying to print the tris at what I think are the right size. (144% increase). Would love to be able to figure out the width and height to make sure my template is the right size.

At 144% your tris will increase from 5x8 to 7 1/4" x 11 1/2" [ the exact is 7.22 x 11.55 but this is truly close enough to 7.25 x 11.50] The problem you will encounter printing is that regular paper size is 8 1/2 x 11. My suggestion would be to take the pages of the book [if you have the dear jane book] to a copy place and increase by 144% or you will need to buy sheets of legal paper for your own copier.

CindyA 02-27-2012 04:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]315728[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]315729[/ATTACH]Three triangles down, how many to go? :D One more block (I think A-3) and I'll be caught up. Love seeing everyone's blocks.

CindyA 02-27-2012 04:15 AM

That's one of the things I don't like about pp'ing. And almost without fail, if I try to save fabric I cut it too short, have to take it off and cut another piece - wasting even more fabric!

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5009565)
TymeToShine, thanks for the encouragement. I just printed out A-9 in foundation mode as it looks like the best way to do that one. I just don't know how to decide how big a piece of fabric to choose for behind the paper. I hate wasting too much fabric :)

fromzstore 02-27-2012 08:38 AM

dear jane

3 Attachment(s)
here are my blocks for this week the top ones are pieced the bottom ones are machine embrodiered

Fraew 02-27-2012 11:00 AM

Fromzstore we are on break his week! :)

Beautiful blocks as usual. Please share your A11 story. Thanks.