Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/2012-2013-dear-jane-stickle-2d-cyber-party-pictures-discussion-t175669.html)

QuiltnNan 02-28-2012 03:10 PM

cindy a - so glad you are now caught up. that's what we have this week for :)

ann clare - what a wonderful collection of bright blocks. it will be a stunning quilt :thumbup:

fromzstore - well, you sure are way ahead of the rest of us. the blocks look great

Anael 02-29-2012 01:48 AM

ann clare, beautiful and so bright!

QuiltnNan, you did a great job on your first paper piecing! My first didn't look that good!

QuilterMomma 02-29-2012 08:36 AM

You ladies are doing great. I will hopefuylly get to join in. I am on a quest to finish those UFOs so will see if I can fit this in.

CindyA 02-29-2012 05:45 PM

@ Fabric Galore: I'm not sure but if it felt like newsprint it might be the right one. Can you hold it up to a light source and see the outline/shape of a dark fabric behind it? If you cannot hold the paper and fabric up to a light and see the outline of the fabric (that is on the other side of the paper) then I think it will be hard to work with.

Originally Posted by Fabric Galore (Post 5010710)
I went to Wal*Mart and I looked at the doodle pad by Crayola. The paper seems too opaque to be able to see the fabric on the other side. Did I look at the right pad? The paper had the texture of news print.

Cre8tvlwyr 02-29-2012 08:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Finally....some pics are being posted by Gus.....

I have the camera, the transfer do-hicky, and I'm all caught up and even started next week and have a couple of pointers on them.

Not sure exactly how many pics I can load at once so we will see.

Here you will see A1 and A5, B1 and B2, B3 and B10, and B12 and A3

Cre8tvlwyr 02-29-2012 08:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
What a nightmare A1 was by the way!! I am very happy with the way it turned out but as you see I did not adjust the pattern to make the outer square on point shape as suggested [and as I should have done] I left the lighter off-white pieces on the side in one piece. I actually started out with 8 over-sized half square triangles, pieced four together to make the octagon shape in the center, and then continually sewed [and un sewed and sewed and unsewed, etc....for hours]little parts of seams matching it to the photo in the book until I had it right. I think it would have been waaaaay faster to hand sew this one!

Now I will attach the three triangles - BR1, TR1 and TR3 and also the two blocks I have completed for next week. A7 and the ever so lovely A9. Thanks for that crayola piecing suggestion. I love it!!!! have grandsons and crayola paper galore here and it really does work to hold it up to the light even though it is opaque.

A pointer for sewing the white strip sections that go all the way around [3rd round from the square]. You should pick a side and sew it starting from halfway point to the edge that will be tucked under by the next piece. [If you look at the book or the instructions on thatquilt.com you will understand what I mean - I wanted mine to look like Jane's with all ends tucked under and this is the simplest way to accomplish]. Continue adding subsequent strips around clockwise [or counter-clockwise, whichever way you have it drawn on your paper] lastly you will finish sewing down the first strip towards the other end.

Anael 03-01-2012 01:26 AM

Beautiful blocks Gus! Your ever so lovely A9 turned out just great!

QuiltnNan 03-01-2012 04:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gus, your blocks are so, so terrific!!!!! it's actually kind of nice that you are late posting, because seeing so many blocks at once is real eye candy. We've come a long way already in terms of difficulty :)
Now, looking at your A9, I realize that I did my first one wrong! When printing the foundation, my old eyes have a hard time seeing which sections are gray and which right. I wrote on the pieces which color, but missed the next to last dark ones, so I don't have 'spools' on the outside. And I was so proud of the way it came out since it was my first pp'd one - hmmmph. Fortunately, I stopped last night right before that round, so my second one will be right. I think I'll do the first one over, rather than unsew. If I continue at my current rate of error blocks, I may have another Baby Jane in the works :D
[ATTACH=CONFIG]316521[/ATTACH]

echoemb 03-01-2012 04:18 AM

Gus, your blocks are beautiful!! I love your fabric choices.

QuiltnNan 03-01-2012 04:34 AM

HA! I just thought about the name for my Baby Jane --- BooBoo Jane :D
And, in looking at the foundation printout, changing my light round to dark actually makes it easier. The entire corner of the inner square is dark, so does not require 2 rounds to do those dark corners... for instance pieces 19 and 23 can be done in one big piece. So that saves doing 4 extra pieces!