Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/50-fab-paper-pieced-stars-t171784.html)

PokerDiva 07-01-2012 12:19 PM

Katie your block is a winner. I am going to use sashing in mine. In the next couple of weeks I will post a pic of what I have so far to get opinions on the color of sashing I should use.

wvhill22 07-01-2012 03:18 PM

I'm thinking of putting mine on point too with a very narrow sashing. Mine is very scrappy so am thinking of using beige

hooked 07-02-2012 06:19 PM

Everyones Nebraska blocks are beautiful. Love the way the use of different colors drastically changes the looks of the blocks. Thanks for sharing everyone.

ckcowl 07-07-2012 12:36 PM

i haven't been real (serious) about figuring out a final layout yet---but have been considering placing them in order of statehood- and embroidering the name & date of statehood around each one- staying with my solid black background- i stand & gaze at them each time i enter my sewing room & the more i look at them the more i consider that---the only thing is i don't know what i would put around my alternate blocks---maybe leave them blank---all just thoughts---only time will tell :)
sure loving these coming together---and the thought of an on-point layout is (something to think about) too.
looking forward to tomorrow's block- it has become a *routine* for me to after breakfast go in & work on it while i listen to the 'House of Blues' on the radio every sunday---one of the highlights of my week :)

PokerDiva 07-07-2012 12:56 PM

CK, I am glad you see this as a highlight. I have been wondering the last few days if more people are dropping out or it is just because it is summer and vacations are going on. I know I will be gone for 4 days next week. Do you have an embroidery machine or will you do it by hand? I will think about maybe what you can put on your extra blocks. I think that is a good idea. See you in the morning.

PokerDiva 07-08-2012 04:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Good morning. My Nevada:

nickylsf 07-08-2012 06:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow, Florence! Your Nevada is stunning. Here is mine. I have been wishing I had reversed the red and orange in the center, but I still like it.

Mona Lisa 2011 07-08-2012 06:25 AM

New Hampshire Star Block

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my New Hampshire Block.............

nickylsf 07-08-2012 06:53 AM

I too have been thinking about how to finish. I have decided to use a QAYG method from Marguerita McManus' new book, "How to Finish (Almost) any Quilt". I got it as a Kindle book for my iPad from Amazon.

It involves putting a border on each block. I will make manageable groups of 4 or 9 blocks, FMQ them and then join the sections. With this new method you can hardly see the joining strips, as they blend in with the block borders! With this sashing method, I will only need 36 blocks to make a 90 x 90 quilt, which is what I want. Maybe I can make matching Euro shams from the remaining squares, as I hate not to complete the project. You can check out her blog at www.crazyshortcutquilts.com. She also has some very interesting videos on her blog.

ckcowl 07-08-2012 08:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
well, here's my Nevada block- i kind of like this one too...who am i trying to kid---I LIKE THEM ALL!!! and i love looking at everyone elses. pokerdiva---i'm sure part of the (lack of participation) is due to summer time- i belong to 3 different sewing/quilting groups---none of which sew from May-October!!! it always---shocks me when the April get together happens and they all say--well, have a nice summer- see you next fall---:( i do believe i am truly the only one who does any sewing through out the summer they are all busy- camping, gardening, beaching, what ever & don't even think about sewing---for me it doesn't matter if its 10 degrees or 100 degrees---i'm sewing- when we do take off for a few days- or vacation i take a hand sewing/quilt project with me- when others are relaxing reading a book or what ever- i am relaxing-stitching away:D my friends & family think i'm nuts!
but that's ok---they all love the results of my activity...
but i bet by September/October some of the ones we havent seen in a while will be back...
if i know i wont be home for Sunday morning/sewing/house of blues i make my block ahead of time---
and about the embroidery on my blocks- i do have an embroidery unit for my Viking Designer One- but hadn't even thought about using it---figured i would do them by hand---but now that you've mentioned it...hmmmm- i guess i will have to think about that as i get closer to needing to make decisions- but i am still leaning toward by hand- it's easier to just grab a block, thread & needle & take it with me to work on when i'm in the mood[ATTACH=CONFIG]347467[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]347467[/ATTACH]