Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/50-fab-paper-pieced-stars-t171784.html)

paintmejudy 12-16-2011 06:38 AM

Meanmom and Wholeheart Mom commented about the complicated stars -- but really, they only look more complicated. Only difference, really, is more pieces, but they still go together one piece at a time and will only take a bit more time. Don't shy away because you think they are too hard. If you can paper piece a simple block, you can do any of Carol Doak's stars.

PokerDiva 12-16-2011 09:36 AM

I agree Judy. The hardest part of PP is making sure you cut your pieces big enough. Watch those angles. Think I need to buy that BIG and Bold book too. Might be a 2013 project.

Originally Posted by paintmejudy (Post 4785781)
Meanmom and Wholeheart Mom commented about the complicated stars -- but really, they only look more complicated. Only difference, really, is more pieces, but they still go together one piece at a time and will only take a bit more time. Don't shy away because you think they are too hard. If you can paper piece a simple block, you can do any of Carol Doak's stars.

Maybe1day 12-16-2011 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by PokerDiva (Post 4774589)
Please join us in working through Caraol Doak's book "50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars". Starting the first week in January we will be making one star a week, starting with Alabama and ending in December with Wyoming. If you have this book, please join us. there will be no patterns or tutorials given and there is no sign ups required. Do as few or as many as you like. We would love to see your beautiful stars so please post their picture here.

I have this book and think one star block from it a month will be doable so will join in if no one has nay objections
You can make the blocks to size or decrease the size so I might just do this with some of them for a different look.
Will give me something else to play around with when I feel so inclined.

Cheers
Maybe1day

rwquilts 12-16-2011 09:50 PM

I'm in! I just found this thread. I have had the book for several years and have made many of the blocks for different projects, but not all 50. This will be fun! I love paper piecing! :):)

Wholeheart Mom 12-17-2011 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy (Post 4785781)

Had to laugh at the two board names.... Meanmom and Wholeheart Mom!

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. I get intimidated easy by the complicated looking blocks, and I am glad to know that they aren't as difficult as they seem. I'll give it a shot!

Wholeheart Mom 12-17-2011 01:11 AM

My book is ordered and on the way. I am thinking ahead to color options, and I am just curious..... is everybody going to do this project scrappy, controlled scrappy, or with a definite color theme in mind?

Jan in FL 12-17-2011 02:45 AM

I think I want a definite color theme - black background for sure but I am undecided on the color for the stars yet. My book isn't here yet so I can't decide.

pipp5 12-17-2011 02:51 AM

Count me in, I've had that book for years and have made several of the stars. Love paper piecing!

klgreene 12-17-2011 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Wholeheart Mom (Post 4788033)
My book is ordered and on the way. I am thinking ahead to color options, and I am just curious..... is everybody going to do this project scrappy, controlled scrappy, or with a definite color theme in mind?

I'm hoping to use what I have, which would make it scrappy, but I don't have the book yet, so not sure. I have so many scraps I really need to use them up. I love PPing, so this is going to be fun.

tomilu 12-17-2011 11:19 AM

I went to make sure I had the book and I must really want to this as I have TWO brand new books. I also found the CD for "Foundation Factory, Special Edition" but do not know where the book is located. Anyway, I think I shall use off-white background and either batiks or scrappy.
tomilu