Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/50-fab-paper-pieced-stars-t171784.html)

moonwork42029 01-16-2012 07:13 AM

I like waiting to see how others have arranged their colors...it helps me make my choices. I have the colors laid out for Arizona...maybe start it tonight.

My DH keeps asking "now who is this one for?" When I tell him it is for us, he just sighs. LOL...silly guy. I have many squares waiting to be put together into a real top so I know why he is sighing. Gotta love him for putting up with me.

Janet My 01-16-2012 07:14 AM

Very nice block Janey. You did a great job! .. I agree... for some reason this block was hard for me. I kept putting the pieces on in the wrong direction and they didn't fit.. My ripper am I were best of friends on this one. LOL

PokerDiva 01-16-2012 07:17 AM

Janey, you are not late and it may not be your favorite but I think it is very pretty. As far as I'm concerned, you can't go wrong if you have purple in it. AND you have DOTS!

paintmejudy 01-16-2012 08:40 AM

I understand the frustration on this block, and I think one of the main problems were the sizes of the cut pieces in her directions. For example, piece #7 (for which I cut all 8 pieces) was way too small but didn't realize it until I tried to put it in the block. Sigh. There were a couple other pieces that were a bit skimpy. Perhaps later editions corrected the errors, but too late for me LOL

Vanogay 01-16-2012 08:40 AM

Wow - I seem to repeat myself everytime I go to post, but can't think of anything else but that word to start with. All of the stars posted are great. Love those southwestern (even though I don't decorate in those colors, I do love them), the sea, the ones that 'pop' out and those that are more muted. Take them all right now and we'd have a fantastic quilt already!! I'm working at the church today, so won't be home till later to sew, but have my next star cut out - have to try and keep ahead - and will start sewing on that this week. Don't stick your fingers ladies and keep the frogging to a minimum if possible.

moonwork42029 01-16-2012 08:46 AM

A little trick I discovered helps me. I have all 4 of the paper patterns pinned firmly together so they don't slip around. Then I take the thread out of my machine. I change it to the biggest basting stitch and sew with the empty needle over all the fold lines inside the pattern. Now I have a pattern with hundreds of little holes in it for guide holes.

This really has helped me when I am lining up the fabric as I can see my next "line" with the basting holes.

It also helps me fold the paper over when I am trimming for the next section too if you follow Carol's instructions for the pre-trimming method.

Hope this helps someone else too.

Carsey 01-16-2012 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by tomilu (Post 4870183)
LOVE your star, Nicky!!!

Me toooooo!!!

PokerDiva 01-16-2012 08:57 AM

I pay no attention to the sizes she says to cut. I measure them all myself. That way the only person I can get mad at is me.

Originally Posted by paintmejudy (Post 4880056)
I understand the frustration on this block, and I think one of the main problems were the sizes of the cut pieces in her directions. For example, piece #7 (for which I cut all 8 pieces) was way too small but didn't realize it until I tried to put it in the block. Sigh. There were a couple other pieces that were a bit skimpy. Perhaps later editions corrected the errors, but too late for me LOL

Carsey 01-16-2012 09:04 AM

Good idea, PokerDiva!!!! Hopefully, I will get all 3 of mine posted this week.

Blessings!
Carole

Mona Lisa 2011 01-16-2012 09:12 AM

Arizona star

Here is my Arizona Star: