Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Another MYSTERY QUILT Train Ride - our 5th trip! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/another-mystery-quilt-train-ride-our-5th-trip-t215243.html)

Elisabrat 03-23-2013 03:24 PM

ok we wont bug her at all (fingers hiding behind back) ok for at least a while (fingers still hiding behind back).. Judy, not a single complaint from what I have seen here.

You know.. the old get back up on the horse thing you can do it Cinderelli! We believe in you and we will wait patiently completely without fail.. (roll your eyes why don'tcha?) I wont make a peep. ME??? (peeepppp peeeep)

Leslie333 03-23-2013 03:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I need help. :( When I sew my A/C triangles from last week to the B triangle there is not enough on the A/C side to then have a 3 1/2" square cut from it. Maybe I missed something in the changes, but I just went back and read from page 38 where the instructions were posted last week to here and I can't find what I may be doing wrong.

To make the A/C triangle I took 4" squares and cut them diagonally to make 4 pieces, then sewed the A and C pieces together on the short side. I used a 4 1/8" square of B cut in half. I even went back and cut new pieces and resewed them to make sure...still too small. Where am I missing something?

Here's the A piece cut in 4 pieces, then the A/C sewn together, then the final block with my 3 1/2" square ruler on top lined up on the diagonals.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]403793[/ATTACH]

coopah 03-23-2013 03:43 PM

WOW! Thanks Judy for this nifty pattern...lots of visual interest going on there. Haven't gotten started, but hope to soon when Mom is okay on her own. Your sister's is nifty, too. Love the mystery trains. Take time to decompress and recharge your creative energies. We'll be ready when you are! :-)

sewplease 03-23-2013 04:06 PM

Thank you so much, judy! This was my second trip, although this time I just sat back, watched the scenery, and thought about what fabrics to use. What a unique border - it makes me think of railroad tracks, lol. :-)

Time for you to maybe sit back now and enjoy the scenery!

SunlitenSmiles 03-23-2013 05:08 PM

Leslie333

you need a scant 1/4 inch seam and press the seam well and your ruler should have the diagonal line on the diagonal seam.......hope this helps.....love that fabric, my all time favorite candy...york peppermint patties a close second.

it is tight, when I cut the holiday fabric think I might use a 4 1/4 or 4/12 rather than a 4 inch square to start....metallic on the fabric makes it harder to get a good press.

quilt addict 03-23-2013 07:10 PM

Thanks so much Judy. Not sure where I went wrong but my quarter square triangles are not coming out to 3 1/2 inches so tried to make them work and as you would think that doesn't work. All my points are cut off. So have to decide to live with it or start over.... Will sleep on it tonight.

And my christmas fabrics do not have enough difference in value so the pattern doesn't show up so may rethink that also.

haylillan 03-23-2013 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie333 (Post 5948978)
I think I need help. :( When I sew my A/C triangles from last week to the B triangle there is not enough on the A/C side to then have a 3 1/2" square cut from it. Maybe I missed something in the changes, but I just went back and read from page 38 where the instructions were posted last week to here and I can't find what I may be doing wrong.

To make the A/C triangle I took 4" squares and cut them diagonally to make 4 pieces, then sewed the A and C pieces together on the short side. I used a 4 1/8" square of B cut in half. I even went back and cut new pieces and resewed them to make sure...still too small. Where am I missing something?

Here's the A piece cut in 4 pieces, then the A/C sewn together, then the final block with my 3 1/2" square ruler on top lined up on the diagonals.

i think you missed the update go to post#573 and 574. i missed it to have gone back and found it

frustratedquilter40 03-23-2013 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie333 (Post 5948978)

I had the same issue I went back and cut mine at 4 1/2" . I did that for A/C triangle as well as the B and then squared them up to the 3.5".

frustratedquilter40 03-23-2013 10:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Judy I love it would never have imagined this design but I will for sure be making a few more of these. Hey no worries just what is a train ride without a few bumps and delays along the way :). We still love you and all that you do for us !!
Here is my top completed for some reason I have cut enough to make 4 blocks so I added another block and so forth. Had to make a few adjustments but could be operator error on my part but figured it out and love it :thumbup:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]403878[/ATTACH]

jacquie 03-24-2013 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by frusratedquilter40 (Post 5949494)
I had the same issue I went back and cut mine at 4 1/2" . I did that for A/C triangle as well as the B and then squared them up to the 3.5".

yes, i think judy stated in her 'amendments' that the A&C HST's were to be re-made from 4" squares not 3"... have a scroll back and see...
i've been trying to find it for you, but i'm not sure where the posting is now :(
xxx