Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Block of the Month July 15, 2007 - Tim's Compass Star - The Photos (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/block-month-july-15-2007-tims-compass-star-photos-t1438.html)

ceannastahr 08-25-2007 06:10 AM

I like your backwards part. Realy love the colors.

Ok I got the point after this weekend of weddings and a day or two to rest from all the dress sewing I will try and do the block.

Country Quilter 08-25-2007 06:19 AM

Your colors are fantastic and I don't think I would have noticed the backwards part if you hadn't mentioned it! LOL It looks great!!! And good for you for giving PPing a try....braver than me!!!! My last effort ended in the trash! You did a great job!!!

Mamapeach417 08-25-2007 06:30 AM

Love this block. Can't wait to try it too. The colors you all chose are so cool.

susan s. 08-25-2007 06:50 AM

It looks wonderful Sharon. Remember two things, Practice makes perfect (Or as nearly to it as we might get!) and Art is an individuals interpretation. Also beauty is in the eye of the beholder! So please learn to not judge your work too severely. I believe after all,that mistakes are so often the basis for new techniques and designs.

Yvonne 08-25-2007 09:24 AM

Sharon,
I am so proud of you! Your block is great. I told you you could do it!!! I'm so glad you proved me right. Way to go! I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with your block. Isn't paper piecing fun? And you learn so many new words too! (Side benefit?)

Vicki and Patsy, you too can do this. Trust me!!! :mrgreen:

k_jupiter 08-25-2007 10:03 AM

Sharon. Great work! You learned something, I got some praise (egotistical little me) and you have a fine block to post on your wall. I see the little mistakes, I call them design elements when I do them. I am not going to tell you how many 1/8 sections I had to make to get this one right also. It is a visual puzzle when you are piecing it together.

If you get more comfortable with the process, there is a fine book out there (Carole Doak?) with 50 star patterns and a dvd video showing you how it all goes together, as well as some great tips on how to make the points all match. You might find someone who wants to give you a X-mass present of this fine book.

You made my day. Thanks.

tim in san jose

lin 08-25-2007 10:28 AM

I think your block is perfect just the way it is mimi! Sometimes that little "mistake" we make just makes it all the more interesting. Yours isn't "wrong"...it's unique! LOVE the sparklies!!! :D

Boo 08-25-2007 11:29 AM

Sharon, I am impressed, but yes I do see your sparkles. :lol: I am sure that if we ever met, you would have a piece of glitter on your cheek. :lol: You really did an amazing job with that block! I haven't even started thinking of our BOM with so many other projects going. Even my reproduction sampler is getting dusty. At some point, I will have to take some time away from the shop to work on my own projects. :roll:

patricej 08-25-2007 02:03 PM

SHARON!!!!! There you go again!!! You obviously don't realize it but your "backwards" part isn't backward at all. if real light hit that star from a certain angle, that's exactly where the light and dark would fall.

That is not a mistake. it's your inner talent pushing your self-doubt aside and taking control. :P

silly girl! :roll:

lin 08-25-2007 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
if real light hit that star from a certain angle, that's exactly where the light and dark would fall.

Well, I had to go back and take another look after what you wrote and you're exactly RIGHT!!! That's what it would look like if a light source hit it on that side. You're brilliant Patrice. :lol: