Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   BOM 1 Feb 2011 - Farmhouse Block (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/bom-1-feb-2011-farmhouse-block-t95668.html)

SulaBug 02-01-2011 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by masufa
Well by the time this quilt is done I should be a pro at PP (not my favorite thing) Had no problem printing.

Oh YES, I think we will all be pro's at pp'ing!! :D Although I do know that not all of the blocks that are being chosen, are paper pieced. Hope this information helps you ladies. Just jump in & start sewing, I think it will come easier as you get more into it. I know that I am having a blast making these blocks. They may not be perfect but they are mine & I like them.
:D :D :D :D

pheasantduster 02-01-2011 12:44 PM

I have an iMac and just print another set of templates to cut and scotch tape together and found that the grass below the tree needed width and extra length.. Also the grass on the right of front walk needed extra seam allowance. When all my paper pieces together I measured and added inches to left, right, top and bottom so I could have a 12" square. May not be the way to go but it works for me!

Originally Posted by mommamac
Just curious - is there anyone out there that has a Mac & has successfully printed the templates? If so, how did you do it? Mac is not compatible with Internet Ex. so those directions won't work.
I need to learn how to resize for future projects & would appreciate any tips.

For this block I found a sweet Sharon who sent me the templates via email. Love the way people share & help here.

pheasantduster 02-01-2011 12:44 PM

OK quilter - I do understand so I will suffer and conquer for both of us. Will you do the same for me if any embroidery is needed in the future?

Originally Posted by quilter41

Originally Posted by pheasantduster
OH come on - face the challange! Hope you join us.

Are all these blocks going to be PP. Need to know because I hate PP.

Sorry but I have tried and they never come out for me. They are tedious and I hate ripping paper off. Then I am never pleased with the end result.

patricej 02-01-2011 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by mommamac
Just curious - is there anyone out there that has a Mac & has successfully printed the templates? If so, how did you do it? Mac is not compatible with Internet Ex. so those directions won't work.
I need to learn how to resize for future projects & would appreciate any tips.

For this block I found a sweet Sharon who sent me the templates via email. Love the way people share & help here.

i know bupkus about Macs, so i can recommend only two things. both are guesses ... shots in the dark:

1. the Mac must come with a built-in browser of its own. fish around in the print options to see if you can find it, or search in the OS help.
2. try using Mozilla Firefox as the browser. i find that there are some things i can do more easily in Firefox than i can in Explorer, and vice versa. Firefox (PC version, at least) also includes scaling options when you print off the web.

Laura F 02-01-2011 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by SulaBug

Well by the time this quilt is done I should be a pro at PP (not my favorite thing) Had no problem printing.

Oh YES, I think we will all be pro's at pp'ing!! :D Although I do know that not all of the blocks that are being chosen, are paper pieced. Hope this information helps you ladies. Just jump in & start sewing, I think it will come easier as you get more into it. I know that I am having a blast making these blocks. They may not be perfect but they are mine & I like them.

I am so excited to make this block. This is the one that I also found. The first thing I did at work this morning, was find my fellow quilter and ask for to check her stash (she has a great one) for fabric for my trees. (I'll be doing 2 farms) If not, quilt store here I come.

:-)

SulaBug 02-01-2011 12:53 PM

Thank You PatriceJ, we are always open for any help that might make our patterns print right!!

PKWard 02-01-2011 01:16 PM

I can honestly say that I didn't know what paper piecing was...I knew it involved freezer paper, but that was the extent of it. I was really please at how my church looked and I have color ideas for my farmhouse. Can't wait to get my fabric later this week! This one looks a little more difficult, so I'll take it slow and be extremely careful.

Originally Posted by SulaBug

skydiver70 02-01-2011 01:34 PM

Oh, me.....Will you all come to the nursing home to see me if I try this one? It took so long to do the other one, and with all the little pieces in this one, I won't live long enough to complete it. LOL

I just can't seem to get the hang of this even though I did get my copies to print out correctly after many tries.

Can we just make our own pattern for this using applique instead of paper piece? I love applique.

quilter41 02-01-2011 01:39 PM

You bet I will. The sad thing is I think the blocks are neat and really want a quilt with different buildings. Looking for pieced replacements. LOL.

OK quilter - I do understand so I will suffer and conquer for both of us. Will you do the same for me if any embroidery is needed in the future?

OH come on - face the challange! Hope you join us.

Are all these blocks going to be PP. Need to know because I hate PP.

Sorry but I have tried and they never come out for me. They are tedious and I hate ripping paper off. Then I am never pleased with the end result.

hobbykat1955 02-01-2011 01:45 PM

Spent from 10am-4pm working on my block..Of course the first hr was trying to make a decision on which fabrics to use...This is diff a 2-3 day farmhse and then I left my camera in RI and won't be able to post pictures until around the 10th...But I'm excited to see what everyone else posts this wk...