Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-update-photo-discussion-completed-page-t206507.html)

Honchey 11-15-2014 01:13 PM

Well, He did it!!! He totally cut one bush down to the bottom..there's a little stump now... I think I'll have to invest in an electric trimmer and do it myself and just have him clean it all up!!!
We just came back from having lunch & touring the local thrift shops and I bought a little coffee mill (electric) for $2 and an Oster Breadmaker for $15. both items are very clean. Bob even came in with me & rummaged thru the golf balls and bought a dozen for $1. we both made out like bandits. I am now going to rest for a bit, maybe take a cat nap in my chair...H.

dublb 11-15-2014 02:10 PM

I am workin' on an applique Doll quilt. It is fussed & I am doin' the satin stitch. It's for a friend.

janRN 11-15-2014 06:10 PM

I have to learn how to cook all over again! I cooked dinner on my new stove: burned the rice and over cooked the chicken!! I'm used to cranking the burners (electric) up to high just to warm things--the new burner heated to high! And the oven--my old oven only heated 2/3 of the way around the heating element so I'd have to shove whatever I was cooking into the corner to get the most heat. The new one heats all the way around!! I guess I'd better practice some more before I do Thanksgiving dinner.

Honchey 11-15-2014 06:33 PM

Oh Jan, I feel for you!!! I still can't get used to cooking with an electric cook top or oven..Every pot boils over for me and I didn't know that the fan in the oven continues to blow after you shut it off...When I make pudding I have to stir constantly to keep it from burning...When I finally get the hang of it , it's time to back to NJ and learn on the gas stove...

QuiltingNinaSue 11-15-2014 07:09 PM

I love my electric stove top and two wall mounted ovens opposite sides of the kitchen. I can remember to 'turn off' the electric burner to finish cooking the food in the pan. If it is finished cooking, then I need to set it off the stove. Pans have to be 'flat' on the bottom to heat properly on the electric stove. I would find it very difficult to adjust to a different stove.

The bread came out great and so did the cinnamon rolls. We forgot about the evening meal and just ate bread and rolls. A balanced diet. LOL!

dublb 11-15-2014 07:55 PM

DH & I are always disscusin' the pro's & con's between the gas & electric. Since I don't do most o' the cookin' I had finally agreed that he needs a gas stove. Here at the "new" house it has a a cooktop on the island that it doesn't have a gas run ta the island. I have always cooked on electric.

janRN 11-16-2014 06:05 AM

I've always cooked on electric stoves and love it. I'm just not used to all sections of the burners working--used to cool spots so I adjusted the heat up. Love the smooth cook top, so easy to clean, because yes, Anne, my rice boileth over!

Got an email from Amazon regarding Laurie Hird's new book, FWS in the 1920's due out in June. Is this the one we're discussing? No pages available to preview but I'm anxious to see it.

Have you noticed how many ads are in the newspapers and coming in emails? Christmas must be coming LOL.

carriem 11-16-2014 06:59 AM

Hi all! We have a gas stove...when I go to my mom's and have to use electric I really have to watch.

Jan--yes that is the book, I think it might be a 1930s though? I got an email too.

This week wasn't quite as busy as the last few months. The hotel wasn't as busy, so I just had to work one day. I got a couple afternoons of sewing in. Just have 2 rows left to quilt on my niece's quilt, then adding borders and binding....with the snow, last night (about 4"), the roads are too bad to go to church so I'll have some time today. I will share a picture when I get it all together.

Hope all are doing well. :) I always enjoy catching up on what everyone is up to!

Honchey 11-16-2014 07:30 AM

Jan, Laurie hopes to have advanced copies by April and she promised me one so I'll be able to share some info about it...

carriem 11-16-2014 07:44 AM

Ann--that is very exciting news!!