Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-update-photo-discussion-completed-page-t206507.html)

QuiltingNinaSue 08-20-2015 01:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I tackled FW block 13 with its 'Y' seams...used my 'ugly' fabric in 13b...[ATTACH=CONFIG]528320[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]528321[/ATTACH]\
[ATTACH=CONFIG]528322[/ATTACH] notice the 'v' notch at the point where the seams stop, then sew in the square piece last, made it easier to do....I think. Question is: which one do I add to my offical seventh week on FW 1930.???? I am happy with both of them, I would be happier if I held the camera straighter, but will 'practice' that more. LOL.

Picasso users: how do you label each picture imported into it? name tags doesn't work for me. I do have my Album FW1930 started for these photos and writing on each one.

janRN 08-20-2015 01:40 PM

I like both of them but I'm really drawn to the brown & orange one. Great job! I cheated on this block--I cut it apart and just sewed squares together--no y-seams!! Looks the same finished LOL. Please don't tell my secret on FWS1930s thread!!!!

QuiltingNinaSue 08-20-2015 02:14 PM

Jan, I cannot believe you cut the squares apart...how? will not tell, but would love to see it here.

JeanieG 08-20-2015 06:18 PM

Yes, please share how this was done Jan. I just cut out the templates today for this block! I have not chosen the fabric yet.

janRN 08-21-2015 05:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's how I did my "no y-seams". I took the templates, drew lines across them to create triangles and rectangles, cut them apart and added a 1/4" seam allowance then sewed them together. I'll do anything to avoid y-seams LOL.[ATTACH=CONFIG]528354[/ATTACH]

oksewglad 08-21-2015 06:27 AM

Clever, Jan....

Honchey 08-21-2015 07:35 AM

Aren't we supposed to be learning new techniques as we go along..I did mine the old fashioned way ldfmc'dfjo;sj!!!

janRN 08-21-2015 08:34 AM

We'll call that a new technique: "how to adjust and redraw templates to avoid *bleeping* y-seams". It sounds good if you give it a title LOL. BTW, I can do y-seams; one of the first quilts I did was GFG and no one told me y-seams were difficult or to be avoided by a beginner. I did it, it's double bed sized and I still have it somewhere.

QuiltingNinaSue 08-21-2015 08:54 AM

I think that is clever to do it your way, JanRN. Thanks for sharing with us. I did it the way that was suggested in the blook to see if I could 'see' to do it. It came out and I am so happy! Number 14 really confuses one, because in the pp part, they 'turn' Betty ninety degrees to the left...I ripped out the square and triangle three times to get it right. Shame on them who turned Betty around!

Honchey, such language I do not understand...looks like you hit the wrong keys...probably running too hard and fast today packing and getting ready for tomorrow!

Mealtime, so I had better get myself into the kitchen; Dh informed me I was on dish washing duty today after he dirty up three pans and other things fixing his own breakfast. Life goes on; but I would rather be in the QR today.

JeanieG 08-21-2015 10:05 AM

Jan - you are so clever to come up with a way to combat those dreaded y-seams! I may have to re-print the templates and try your method! I have not chosen my fabric yet.