Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-update-photo-discussion-completed-page-t206507.html)

QuiltingNinaSue 09-30-2015 05:05 AM

Wishing I could send green beans your way, GrannyQ. We have toooooo many green beans left in the garden. Thanks for the good wishes. Off to see the DM Quilt show tomorrow, and their beautiful quilts and ideas...it will be quick trip, but still enjoyable. 220 vendors....temptations I am sure.

oksewglad 09-30-2015 07:02 AM

Good to hear from you GrannyQ...I was just thinking about you as I wait for your green blocks to show up on the other threads:).
A half of a beef...oh how long did that take? We are almost out of beef...I called the locker (meat processor) to get an appointment for another beef...not until after New Years can we take one up. Called a second shop and it was Christmas...I thought I was getting ahead of the deer season rush...guess not and will have to start buying OTC meat..don't have HyVee in my neighborhood, Fareway has a very good meat counter...

Gotta run farm errands for MrOK this morning...guess he's taking advantage of my last week home. Frost on the ground last night, a chill in the air...later

Rosyhf 09-30-2015 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by givio (Post 7331319)
Rosy, At first read I thought you took Hydraulic Acid. lol

hahahaha...super woman needs it lol

oksewglad 09-30-2015 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by givio (Post 7329503)
I used Rosy's jpg to make a 6" block. The roof is not a triangle in her pattern, like the houses in the blog that Ok posted, but it's still a cute pattern...

So now I'm looking for some tiny houses...

Tiny house count...140 finished..10-12 needing roof and sky..90 bases to be sewn together..roofs and sky pieces for all cut..need to organize the peaks, but have so many small HST'S that I will pick them as I go..

Now that I am getting this little UFO under control, I'm anxious to continue working on this with an endset in view.

grannyQ 09-30-2015 12:42 PM

OK, it took us 2 full days for canning the beef, wish we had finished the other half of beef. The locker people didn't let the other half hang for awhile, they cut it up the same day, it had a terrible taste and we couldn't eat any of it. Had to throw it away. What a waste that was.

oksewglad 09-30-2015 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by grannyQ (Post 7332228)
OK, it took us 2 full days for canning the beef, wish we had finished the other half of beef. The locker people didn't let the other half hang for awhile, they cut it up the same day, it had a terrible taste and we couldn't eat any of it. Had to throw it away. What a waste that was.

Yes indeed a waste...folks don't realize that meat must hang for a time...a good 10-14 days so that flavor develops and gets nice and tender.

QuiltingNinaSue 09-30-2015 03:39 PM

Current beef prices here for a half of a beef is $1000.00 plus processing the beef at the locker. $600.00 for a quarter plus the processing at the locker. Generally, they hang it up for eight days, then cut it up and ground up the hamburger. I still do not have freezer room, so it will be three months more before we can consider buying the beef from a neighboring farmer...direct source.

givio 09-30-2015 05:20 PM

I rarely buy beef because it's costly here. Canned beef sounds wonderful! with mashed potatoes and gravy! Yum! In another month, I hope to be canning salmon. Last year we had more than 200 pounds. We went fishing several times, and had luck, and usually caught the limit. The largest my husband caught was 39" and 26 pounds. I froze a lot of it and gave some away. We had more caviar than we could eat. I haven't ever canned fish before. I think I need to get my pressure gauge checked on my canner before I can meat. I've had it a zillion years and never had it checked. The glass cracked and fell off and the needle is exposed. I'm careful washing it, but usually I do water bath items and don't use the gauge anyway.

dublb 09-30-2015 05:59 PM

Yumm Ya'll are making me hungry! I hope next year that we have some green beans & black eyed peas to freeze.

Yesterday DH & I went & bought a trailer so that moving will be a bit faster. http://www.quiltinghaven.com/Smileys/default/smiley.gif

Today DH packed a bunch more stuff outta the garage onto the back of it. With all that we have taken down to Brady so far & what he packed today he was able to get the trailer into the garage. We are making progress! He will pack the truck tomorrow.

After we paid bills & I did my stuff this mornin', I went to the PO & then shopping for my DSis's b-day. I think I went all over town. LOL DH told me to find some jewelry. I know that she wears Sterling so that was what I went looking for. Since they closed the northside Walmart the southside one is a madhouse & I really didn't want to go there. I know from experience that most of the jewelry stores here in Midland look down at sterling silver so I decided to try some pawn shops. Some of them looked down on sterling too!!! Sigh, I finally found a lovely ring & it was in the sale display! http://www.quiltinghaven.com/Smileys/default/smiley.gif It had some lovely black CZ's along w/the regular white ones. I also went looking for a vase for some flowers & a cherry candle. I almost always buy her a cherry candle for her B-day. Well I didn't find a cherry candle but did find a Tuscany Candle. It has a li'le warming light in the bottom & ya put scented wax in the top to melt. Sigh, they didn't have scented cherry wax either. I got her the rain scented wax instead. Then I found a vase that had an apple painted on one side & a lemon on the other side. It goes so well w/the fruit decor she has in her kitchen. I bought some miniature red & yellow roses to go in it. Her love language is gifts so she loves that I get her a bunch of stuff for her B-day. I then took 'em over to her house. She said that she thought I had forgotten her. It was after 6:00pm. She was so excited to get 'em. I usually try to sneak in & set up a kind of display for her birthday but I kinda figured that she was gonna be home. So I called her when I got there & actually gave 'em to her in person.

oksewglad 09-30-2015 07:19 PM

Wonderful BD surprise for your Sis. Bev.....

MrOK would love eating at your house givio...he loves salmon..now don't cringe..it's one of the few foods I have a hard time eating..and yes have tried good fresh salmon, too..he loved it when DSon took him to the market in Seattle and they brought home salmon for the evening meal.

I have a canner like yours too and use it only as a hot water bath canner...the newer pressure canner doesn't have a gauge, but a calibrated weight..a new canner is a sizable investment, too.