Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-update-photo-discussion-completed-page-t206507.html)

QuiltingNinaSue 01-31-2013 11:02 AM

Anael, that was back in the good old days...whatever we had on hand that was wearing out, DGM used. I still have one wool comfort we hand tied...wool batting of the real old kind. Never have washed it.

Dublb apparently has found the washable wool to use in her baby quilts...but I think the soft flannel is excellent to use too.

dublb 01-31-2013 11:06 AM

Oh Jan it's absolutely gorgeous! Who cares if it has donkeys.

dublb 01-31-2013 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue (Post 5827796)
Anael, that was back in the good old days...whatever we had on hand that was wearing out, DGM used. I still have one wool comfort we hand tied...wool batting of the real old kind. Never have washed it.

Dublb apparently has found the washable wool to use in her baby quilts...but I think the soft flannel is excellent to use too.

Hobbs Heirloom Wool Batting. It must be quilted w/in 3 inches. I wash & dry the first washin' & tell the recipient that it has wool in in & not ta dry it. They don't. :)

I'm gonna use flannel for my Nieces' next baby quilt. She is worried about the baby gittin hot. Besides she is gittin' 5 other quilts from other family members.

dublb 01-31-2013 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by carriem (Post 5827550)
Here a some pictures of a quilt top I get to work on this spring. I was asked by one of my kids' archery coaches to finish it (it was made by a family member of his wife, he isn't sure who). There are red borders on just two sides. My plan is to tie it...I am open to suggestions though. The person I am finish it for just said "I know nothing about quilting so do it the way it should be done"...any help is appreciated as I have never tied a quilt, but sure I can figure it out. :)

I didn't even say how beautiful that Crazy quilt is. On my other board I've been followin' a crazy quilt thread & have started ta collect fabrics ta make mine. The history o' 'em is so neat. They were made outta the wealthy laddie's old formal gowns. They were never intended ta be put on beds, & are supposed ta show how much free time the maker had. They were usually laid over a piano or other piece o' furniture. The heaviness o' 'em were why they were always tied.

Anael 01-31-2013 11:30 AM

Thanks for the info Bev. Did the wealthy ladies make those quilts? They must have been the only ones with lots of free time I guess.

QuiltingNinaSue 01-31-2013 01:19 PM

According to L.Marsha Michler who wrote the Magic of Crazy Quilting and Crazy Quilts by Machine, it started in the Victorian age in England, rich fabric pieces from dressmakers shop; colors and texture came to play with embroidery stitches from highly skilled needle ladies of the time. It came to America about 1860, and reflected fabrics and skill of the needle worker...reached its peak in the 1880s and declined in the 1890s. I remember scraps of wool and silk from DGMM quilts when I was quite young. Also hand painted plates and dishware, e.i., bowls, bread plates came along in the 1880s and 1890s, with DGMM doing that too, before having a family to take care of...I have a plate or two and a bowl or two that she did.

Anael 01-31-2013 02:16 PM

Very interesting. It had a short life in the US, do they know why? Must be great to have a few things which belonged to your DGMM.

JeanieG 01-31-2013 02:27 PM

Wow Jan, that turned out fabulous!!!! It must be a relief to have it done - so what is your next project????? I have so much catching up to do, I don't know where to start. Almost finished with my Easy Street - sewing the rows together as we speak, then just the borders. So anxious to start getting my PC quilts put together!

Anael 01-31-2013 02:46 PM

I;m calling it a day. Latest update: Isa needed a blood transfusion but they both need that quite often. She's sleeping right now and so is Bram. Bram was a bit restless, they adjusted the ventilator and after that he was quiet again. Mick is very unhappy and cries a lot.

Jeanie, just finish your easy street :D and start putting your PC's together! You can do it!

deranged_damsel 01-31-2013 03:46 PM

OH my GOODNESS Jan congratulations!!! :D :D :D I am TRULY shamed!!!

Carrie
what a beautiful quilt! how exciting to finish it! I LOVE the red, I would love to see it finished in red! QNinaSue pretty much covered everything about tying a quilt :D let us know if you have any more questions.

Aneal
Im praying for those sweet babies and those who love them.