Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-update-photo-discussion-completed-page-t206507.html)

dublb 09-02-2013 08:47 PM

LOL Honchey, I usually eat 3 or 4 dove at a time. Ya want a bunch when ya fix 'em. I like ta eat quail also but I won't hunt 'em. The quail here are called "Blues" & they don't flush well, so ya have ta chase 'em. I don't run. I don't run a'tall. Ya can flush Bob Whites. Once they flush ya can shoot 'em. (We haven't had any Whites in a long while.) Dove huntin' is totally different. Ya sit at a tank & hope they will come in for a drink. They usually don't come close enough. When they do come in close enough & ya shoot, they zig-zag, do loop d' loops, make perfect right angle turns. (LOL We didn't practice this year so we are bad shots this year. Some o' 'em fly by all o' us & nary a feather gits ruffled, even though we all took our turns at 'em.:eek:) While ya are watchin for 'em ta come in ya have your gun on safety but ready. Ya have ta know where everyone is at all times so ya talk. Ya always shoot in the air never low. If the bird comes in low ya don't shoot at it. If a bird lands ya don't shoot at it either. If someone goes ta git a bird that they shot, ya don't shoot that way either. When ya see a bird comin' toward someone, ya holler what direction they are comin' from & name the person that might be able ta shoot it. When ya see a bird comin' your way ya have ta determine if it is a dove or not. There are birds that look like dove & others that don't look like 'em but do fly like 'em. Ya have ta be very careful. (I've never shot the wrong kind o' bird. I've only shot dove! :) ) When ya shoot a dove ya take your gun w/ya, & look for snakes. Sometimes ya look all over the place for one that ya shot & don't find 'em. (I lost 1 taday. :( ) Sometimes the bird just landed & ya thought ya had shot it. It'll just git up & fly away. :eek::mad::thumbdown::D When ya find a dove that ya shot, ya never just pick it up, ya look first for snakes. Once ya know that there are no snakes & ya have your dove then ya git back ta your huntin' place a quickly as ya can safely. (ie Ya don't run w/a gun. LOL) We encourage each other when we git one & groan w/each other as we miss. Ya stop when ya git your limit or at sundown, which ever comes first. This year the limit is 15. I guess they are afraid that there isn't enough brush ta feed most o' the dove & want more o' 'em harvested, so they don't starve.
Well I see that I've rambled enough on a subject that most o' ya'll aren't interested in.

Anael 09-02-2013 10:11 PM

OK, another great mini!

Bev, lovely Gretchen.

GG, how's the toe?

mirabelle 09-02-2013 11:31 PM

Bev, very interesting story, how do you cook the doves, just roast them or what??? inquiring minds need to know

gardnergal970 09-03-2013 04:34 AM

Anael...thanks for asking. I sewed yesterday morning and by afternoon it was pretty swollen so I elevated and iced. Made a great difference and reduced the swelling significantly. Still sore and purple this morning but I can navigate. It is my pedal foot but the position it's in didn't seem to bother it. Today I'm going to lunch with a couple if my quilting buddies and then to our LQS for my birthday shopping party. I get a 20% discount and they get a 10% discount. I don't plan to go too crazy since I have a couple of projects I haven't even started plus the several that I have yet to finish. I was planning to do Quilts from Els kitchen BOM at the LQS later this year but I just found her video of that on line and she does all of the teaching so I think I'll save my money. I'm really leaning towards the Ode to the 30s that you did. That looks like a yard of 3 or 4 main fabrics and then FQs would do it. What do you think?
I see the first Spikers posted eyecandy. I'm not happy with my first block and will redo it. Values are still my weakness!!

carriem 09-03-2013 04:41 AM

Dublb--I like your Gretchen block. Thanks for sharing about dove hunting...sounds similar to duck hunting.

OK--Another great mini! I have that fabric, made a table runner for my Grandma for Christmas last year.

Mirabelle--You mentioned your quilts you donate (on the SYE thread), I would be interested in seeing some pictures. It is a great ministry to those women.

Ggal--glad to hear you are moving. Don't over do it today!! Happy Birthday. :)

Anael 09-03-2013 05:10 AM

GG, the fabric requirements say 3 yards for the background and a total of 3 1/2 yards for piecing and applique. I'm sure FQ's will do, even large scraps. You don't need much fabric for each block. The border takes 2 yards or 2.5 when you want mitered corners. Backing: 5 yards, binding 3/4 yard.
I'm glad you can navigate :) Great birthday shopping with that discount! Pitty they don't use your age for discount :D :D :D I guess it will be a bit more than those 20%.

QuiltingNinaSue 09-03-2013 05:12 AM

Happy Birthday, GG. I hear you are a winner in the Aim for accuracy...congrads there. Glad to hear you are moving around. Unfortunately, for broken toes, they just tape two together and let it heal. MIL had kicked a chair in a hurry to get to the restroom and was dismayed at their 'fix' with her broken toe eras ago.

Yes, 'eye' candy in the SYE this morning. lovely blocks, unique and interesting, love them all.

Dublb, glad to hear you are having fun with dove hunting. Dh did that with his father a lot and relives some occasions yet today. Also did pheasant and quail hunting, but the quail have decreased in Iowa, too, so he just relives what happened in his youth. It takes a good shot to hit a dove, lots of wasted shots trying to hit one. Have fun.

Everyone have a good day.

dublb 09-03-2013 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by mirabelle (Post 6270860)
Bev, very interesting story, how do you cook the doves, just roast them or what??? inquiring minds need to know

I used ta make a great pot o' Dove & Dumplin's but can't eat the dumplin's any more so don't do that. DH grill's 'em some times (wrapped in bacon). I'm thinkin' o' puttin these in the crock pot w/DH's BBQ sauce. Yummmm.

mirabelle 09-03-2013 01:42 PM

Happy birthday GGal, hope you have a great day

gardnergal970 09-03-2013 03:18 PM

Thanks all...this is my birthday month...my birthday is the 14th and since it it my 70th year, I'm celebrating all month long. I enjoyed lunch with my QBs and then we shopped. Only yardage was 5 yards of tone on tone cream and a couple FQs. Otherwise it was blades, lighted seam ripper, pattern book, and a couple if Eleanor Burns templates. I'm exploring more ways to skin a cat.....make a block....and Eleanor's flying geese don't have wonky wings. I love it. I found it on YouTube.
I remember from last year that there are several other September birthdays this month...QNS for sure. Who else?
For those of you wondering...I was the maker of Dubib's MB. I'm glad she liked it.