Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   New Quilting Bee, August 2017 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/new-quilting-bee-august-2017-a-t290099.html)

retiredteacher09 08-05-2017 07:05 PM

Just Jan: It makes my heart sing that you got an excellent report from the dr! Way to go explaining the block to tscweaves.

tscweaves: Way to go with answering a quilting question!

petuniaflowers: Great idea to incorporate the bonus triangles on the back. I sometimes sew them right away and other times put them in the fabric recycling bag. :)

Connie

carrot 08-07-2017 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Oksewnsew (Post 7877580)
WELL, just knock me up side the head! In all my searching for 10 1/2" UNfinished block patterns, I never noticed that the pattern for the Chain Link block says 10 1/2" finished! Here I thot I'd made a perfect sized block...I actually had to trim a bit off all around (which is usually not the case). It's an easy block to trim, so don't panic, just make it and trim a smidge off. Thanks Pam for letting me know.

Jean

:D I thought I was missing something !! Had to start reading comments to see if anyone had problems.
Family still around so will not get to my blocks till the end of the week.

DianeR 08-07-2017 10:46 PM

Wow, you are all so quick off the mark this month. Everyone's blocks are looking really nice. Hope to get to them this weekend. Bit behind on the study, half way through an essay, had to put my cat down on Saturday so that was a weekend of nothing being accomplished. Onwards to next weekend after another busy week at work (and its only Tuesday) :)

Just Jan 08-07-2017 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by petuniaflowers (Post 7880517)
I sew those "waste triangles" together as soon as I cut them away. When making the backing for the quilt, it's fun to use them to break up the solid backing. Sew them in a strip that goes all the way across or spin them into pinwheels for a little added interest. You're right, they are small pieces so tossing them is no big deal if that's what you choose.

Its even easier if, before you cut off the extra triangles, sew on the line as usual, then move over 1/2 inch and stitch a second diagonal line. Now cut between the stitched lines and your little cut-off triangles are already stitched together into HST. Its faster and easier than working with the little cut off pieces.

AnngelAnne 08-08-2017 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by just jan (Post 7882242)
its even easier if, before you cut off the extra triangles, sew on the line as usual, then move over 1/2 inch and stitch a second diagonal line. Now cut between the stitched lines and your little cut-off triangles are already stitched together into hst. Its faster and easier than working with the little cut off pieces.

oh smart!!!

annt59 08-08-2017 09:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My blocks for August. I may do Jack in the box again at the end, if I have enough fabric left. I cut off my points. I never seem to get those right. Any suggestions?

AnngelAnne 08-08-2017 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by tscweaves (Post 7880180)
Thanks to Janet's help, I made the Jack in a Box block last night.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]578049[/ATTACH]

This morning I was ready for more, so I knocked out Chain Link. I will tell you what, having a block board was so helpful with these blocks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]578050[/ATTACH]

How do you make it so perfect. I think mine look pretty good and then take a picture and post it and then see where things don't line up too great. Very nice blocks.

jaba 08-08-2017 11:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I got mine sewn this morning, until next month[ATTACH=CONFIG]578310[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]578311[/ATTACH]It's going to be a long wait!

Libster 08-08-2017 01:10 PM

" It's going to be a long wait! "

I know, right? Maybe the Block Fairy will have pity on us and bestow a few more extras before September gets here. LOL

jaba 08-08-2017 01:46 PM

That would be perfect if that nice Fairy visited. I'm going to need a lot more blocks anyway!!