Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   New Quilting Bee, July 2017 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/new-quilting-bee-july-2017-a-t289350.html)

Just Jan 07-08-2017 11:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by tscweaves (Post 7860067)
I finished my first block. It was not without its ups and downs. How does everyone keep all of those little pieces in order and the right direction. I sewed all of the 2 little triangles to the first solid square in the wrong order. I did not realize it until I had all 4 corner bits sewn together. Then it was out on my porch and rip out 8 seams - jeesh! A friend who is a quilter and who has been mentoring me said that you are a quilter when you start ripping out seams. Well folks, guess what - I am a quilter!

Once I got past all of the mistakes, it came together pretty nice. I think I actually have more points meeting than not - major improvement:thumbup:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]576086[/ATTACH]

You got it figured out just fine! And you've learned to do "the frog stitch!" Rip it, rip it, rip it! A couple tips... Make a Block Board. Take a piece of cardboard, thin plywood, insulation board, or anything light weight and rigid, and cut it to about 16" x 16" square. I used a dry erase board. Cover it with flannel and keep it close at hand. I used duck tape to secure the flannel to the back of mine. Lay out your block pieces on it. Take a picture. If pieces are turned wrong, they will show up in the picture much easier than to the naked eye. Hope this helps. Here's one of my blocks in progress... Note the first HST in the second from bottom row is turned wrong. The second pix is my finished block with the piece turned around.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576091[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]576092[/ATTACH]

Oksewnsew 07-08-2017 11:51 AM

LOLO I love reading all your posts, shows me you're willing to try. And what would be the fun of just making everything perfect the first time around..lolo The seam ripper has got to be your best friend when it comes to sewing. Practice makes perfect, so the saying goes. As long as I've sewn I still will miss a point sometimes, IF I can fix it without too much to-do, ok, if not, I just let it go. Nice block TSC..

Donna, so sorry you're having such a rough time, I know how stressful it can be. Just hang in there, you'll get back to sewing soon. Hugs.

Carrot, don't you just love to sew in a group like that? It's just fun. Petthefabric, great blocks. You all have really moved along so far, geez, it's only the 8th... HMMM, what shall you do the rest of the month?? :D

Libster 07-08-2017 01:03 PM

"geez, it's only the 8th... HMMM, what shall you do the rest of the month??"

Gee...wondering minds would like to know, 'specially if there's a bonus block or two hiding somewhere!

Fabric Galore 07-08-2017 02:24 PM

I got up this morning feeling great that I had an entire day to quilt. I was going to make my July blocks and then life stepped in. I got a text from my oldest DGS that his wife was in labor and my #10 great grandchild was born today. I of course had to rush to the hospital to see the new little darling. This little guy has 3 older sisters so everyone was thrilled when Morgan Scott was born. I'll try to quilt again tomorrow but I'd rather have this little guy instead of any amount of pieced blocks.

Fabric Galore 07-08-2017 02:26 PM

I forgot to add that my #9 DGGC, Eloise, was born to my oldest DGD and her husband in California on July 5th. This has been a very exciting week for me and my family. Perhaps I will come down to earth and start quilting again.

tscweaves 07-08-2017 02:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Fabric Galore - Congratulations on the new babies, how fun for you!

Libster - LOL, I can really do with out the character building from a seam ripper. I think today I ripped more than sewed:-)

Just Jan - thanks for the idea of a block board. I will have to work something up to use.

So, I was basking in the success of the first block (giggle) and decided to do the second. It was going really well, I was getting ready to sew the last strip on and I realized, again, something didn't look right. Sure enough, I had sewn all of those blasted little 2 triangle pieces in the wrong order. I tell you, it was laying on my Featherweight table in the correct order and from there to the sewing machine, my block was attacked by gremlins. What are those things called, HST? Well I think I hate them! LOL They just keep getting turned around.
So, rip it, rip it, rip it and then sew, sew, sew....and here is the second July block.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]576108[/ATTACH]
Both are done. Now to decide to go back and work on the others.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]576109[/ATTACH]

Just Jan 07-08-2017 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Fabric Galore (Post 7860141)
I got up this morning feeling great that I had an entire day to quilt. I was going to make my July blocks and then life stepped in. I got a text from my oldest DGS that his wife was in labor and my #10 great grandchild was born today. I of course had to rush to the hospital to see the new little darling. This little guy has 3 older sisters so everyone was thrilled when Morgan Scott was born. I'll try to quilt again tomorrow but I'd rather have this little guy instead of any amount of pieced blocks.

WOW Congrats again!

JayneW 07-08-2017 06:23 PM

Tscweaves, Great job on your blocks. I really like your fabric choices! I'm also new to the board, so I'll join you in the journey to get caught up! I probably should have some method, but I just jumped in and am doing the March blocks.

Libster 07-09-2017 03:31 AM

Tscweaves, your blocks look great! Well done! Love that blue/black fabric.

tscweaves 07-09-2017 06:34 AM

Good morning!

These two blocks for July are the first blocks that I have made that have so many seams. I have been pressing them open as I go, but would it be better to press to one side when assembling so many small pieces into one block? And who has some good tips on dealing with those HST? Looking at the patterns to play catch-up, they are everywhere and it seems like everytime I make one, the quilting gremlins strike. And here I thought the gremlins just like looms and lots of ends of yarn!