Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Picture Thread for Rhonda's Sampler Quilt Along (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/picture-thread-rhondas-sampler-quilt-along-t70984.html)

Jupiter 05-24-2011 08:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This photo is of the 2 Matilda blocks. The caramel colors block was the first one I made. Somehow I got my measurements wrong and ended up with a 16" (16.5) block. The blue block is my second try, and it is 12" (12.5).

I am working on a blue daisy theme quilt for my daughter for Christmas (shhh, don't tell my secret). I was making blocks on the Penny Herron Pieced Applique group here, but decided that her method at 12" wasn't working well. The blocks looked too clunky. She designed them to be 6" blocks, but I converted them to 12". Sometimes I should just leave well enough alone!

Sooo, I am now planning to make the remainder of the needed blocks in this method, or even some in the traditional block pattern way. I think her quilt will be nice... so you will be seeing some blue and some caramel blocks posted here. They are not going into the same quilt.

happy quilt!
hugs, Jup

cjomomma 05-24-2011 09:37 AM

Jupiter I love the blue block. The brown is really nice too but that blue one really pops.

Rhonda 05-24-2011 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Jupiter I love the blue block. The brown is really nice too but that blue one really pops.

Love them both Jupiter but I think the caramel is a stronger contrast hence a stronger look. I love the blue fabrics but the daisy fabric is a couple of shades lighter than I would use to get the contrast to pop out. Just a thought not a criticism in any way!!!

I am sure when the blues are all together it will be gorgeous!!

Rhonda 05-24-2011 12:18 PM

Jupiter you are going to have to do a quilt for my next book!! LOL

Jupiter 05-24-2011 10:42 PM

thanks!

javin22 05-24-2011 10:44 PM

OOooh I like all those. Beautiful.

Jupiter 05-24-2011 10:45 PM

That is funny that you say the daisy fabric should be darker. I was thinking it needed to be lighter! lol Oh well, it is what it is. When I put it with the my other blue and yellow blocks, it will just be a part of the field... a very nice, soft field!

hugs, Jup

Originally Posted by Rhonda

Love them both Jupiter but I think the caramel is a stronger contrast hence a stronger look. I love the blue fabrics but the daisy fabric is a couple of shades lighter than I would use to get the contrast to pop out. Just a thought not a criticism in any way!!!

I am sure when the blues are all together it will be gorgeous!!

Jupiter 05-24-2011 10:46 PM

That would be fun....

hugs, Jup

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Jupiter you are going to have to do a quilt for my next book!! LOL

Rhonda 05-25-2011 07:56 AM

Jupiter it is all in what you want to show off. I look at it and think the dark and the med is the design elements I want to see stand out but you can make whatever parts you like stand out or recede. for me with it being on the light side the daisies recede and it isn't something I see right off when I look at the block. but I am looking at one quilt block and when you put them all together then there is a differant look to the whole thing when they all mix and blend together. I think I understand the look you going for but I would need to see the whole thing to get the whole picture. I love this sort of thing because it makes me look at things differantly than I would normally.

Jupiter 07-14-2011 08:43 AM

I have just posted photos of my completed king sized quilt from Boomerang 3.0. Click here to see. (Scroll to the bottom of the page).http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-57109-168.htm#3696380

hugs, Jup