Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/sylvia-bridal-sampler-bow-t236858.html)

giquilt 02-20-2014 04:47 AM

Geri B

Tell me...are you , or most of you, doing this with preplanned color pallette or are you just winging it? I haven't decided which way to go yet...will have to think about this....
If I continue this adventure, I think I would like to have this book rebound by office max with that plastic ringer type spine they do, makes keeping book flat opened so much easier......[/QUOTE]

I have a dark royal blue/navy background with lots of different medium/light/bright for the other pieces. I have used a lot of different methods on the blocks so far.

This week I thought the wedding ring block should have just been pieced by rotary cut, squares --->1/2 triangles, but the sizes were not full 1/4 inches and it was easier to PP.

Welcome to all recently joined members. I was not going to do this quilt, this year either, but have enjoyed ever minute of working on the blocks.

Geri B 02-20-2014 04:47 PM

I did do the first block in the book.....came out fine.. I do find the directions for piecing and the diagrams that accompany are a bit lacking. The next one I tried was the anvil...i think on the next page...am nowhere near my sewing cave now.....anyway...when I looked at the pic and then read the directions...I thought they were mixed up. Look at the pic, you can clearly see by the seams.....HSTs and squares...not trapazoids and triangles.....so that was what I did....worked fine and easier to do than the printed way.....wonder how many more of the blocks are more complicated than they really should be....I think this book is a bit dated looking at the copyright date.

Reminding me of dear jane....some were so convoluted it was not worth continuing........my theory being if you are not having fun, then you are missing the joy of quilting.....so I will carefully read each direction carefully and decide if I want to do this.....having to flip back and forth copying templates, reading directions(?) is not the best format. IMHO

Anael 02-21-2014 10:50 PM

As long as the blocks.are 6.5" unfinished you can make them in any way you want. There's no quilt police telling you otherwise.
I started my first Sylvia just after I started quilting and had to trouble following the directions or diagrams.

thimblebug6000 02-23-2014 12:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
8th week blocks finished today so will post them, and look forward to finding out what the next 4 weeks of blocks will be.[ATTACH=CONFIG]464046[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]464047[/ATTACH]

Anael 02-23-2014 10:56 PM

Wow Thimblebug, gorgeous!!!

Anael 02-23-2014 10:59 PM

Next assignments:

week 9
A6 Tennesee page 72
B4 Children's Delight page 24

week 10
A3 Bright Hopes page 22
B2 Gulf Star page 38

week 11
A5 Amethyst page 15
N1 Courhouse Steps page 26

week 12
C7 Northwind page 53
C3 Album 1 page 14

mirabelle 02-23-2014 11:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are my latest blocks, Lancaster Rose took me 3 days but I was happy with it when I finished..

Anael 02-23-2014 11:16 PM

Gorgeous Mirabelle!! Time well spent :)
Isn't it strange what camera's can do with pictures? I know the background on your Lancaster Rose is the same as the second picture, yet the Rose is all yellowish.......

MamaHen 02-24-2014 04:10 AM

Mirabelle, such beautiful blocks. I really love your little yellow flowers. I'm working on mine still, have got 11 done, soon as I catch up i'll post a picture.

thimblebug6000 02-24-2014 08:03 AM

Mirabelle your blocks are beautiful! Thanks Anael for posting the new blocks!