Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/sylvia-bridal-sampler-bow-t236858.html)

Sophie2 11-25-2014 06:33 PM

I am about a year behind, but would love to join the group. I have a few blocks finished, but I am having trouble with "y"seams. I will continue on. I have only read about 20 pages of the posts, and have written down the numbers for the different weeks and will begin. As I read more posts, I may start with your most recent weeks and work backwards. I have been admiring all the pictures of the completed blocks.

Sophie2 11-25-2014 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue (Post 6625841)
Good to hear from you MamaHen. I have sooooo many projects to do but life has a way of interfering with my plans... trying to do Sylvia, 50 fab Stars, Dear Jane, SYE, and a Tennessee Waltz quilt on the side. But my bone-on-bone right knee with Arthritis is not allowing me to use the sewing machine, and fingers cannot do hand work, so I sit and imagine what I could be doing. Like 8 blocks for Sylvia, 5 Fab Stars, 10 Dear Jane, and 3 SYE, and 50 54-40 star blocks and 49 snowball blocks for TW. And there's housework to do as we are having company coming in for a week on Monday. I have earned my pilot's license this week, piling things here and moving it there. In time it will happen. Meanwhile, I will enjoy seeing everyone block's posted here and enjoy our warm weather and sunshine. I wish you all the best of the best.

QuiltingNinaSue - I have just joined this thread so I am catching up on all the posts. Congratulations on earning your pilot's license. I am "co-pilot" when my DH flies. He has taken me to some quilt shops I would not have gotten to otherwise. Have just started doing a few SBS blocks, but have enjoyed the ones I have done. Still struggling with "y" seams. I'll get there....

jolo 11-26-2014 07:13 AM

very nice blocks everyone.!! I am going to pass on this one tho. I did 2 Dear Janes and now have to move on to other things. Am going to something with BIG blocks for a while. lol. Will look in often to check on everyone. Just dont call me the Quilt Police. Jo

thimblebug6000 11-26-2014 08:07 AM

Nice to see you Sophie2! Check on Anael's postings because some of the blocks she had a PDF for that showed easier ways to make those blocks. Rather than a Y seam she had split the square.

Sophie2 11-26-2014 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 (Post 6985008)
Nice to see you Sophie2! Check on Anael's postings because some of the blocks she had a PDF for that showed easier ways to make those blocks. Rather than a Y seam she had split the square.

Thanks for the info, Thimblebug6000. I am reading thru the thread before I start again. I am on page 50 now. Reading thru the thread has given me confidence that I will be able to do it with everyone's help. By the way, love all the pictures you have posted.

Anael 11-26-2014 12:26 PM

Welcome Sophie2 :) You can do it, just ask if you're having problems with a block. Sometimes a block can be redrawn to avoid the Y seams. I can make a tutorial with pictures on Y seams if you would like that.

mirabelle 11-26-2014 01:49 PM

Welcome Sophie2, can't wait to see your blocks

thimblebug6000 11-26-2014 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by sue z q (Post 6972479)
I'm working on H7 and look at the size of it! I'll be interested to see if anyone else has this one coming out so large. Thought I was making 1/4 inch seams: maybe not!

Uh oh... I'm on H7 tonight.... I have it all laid out but kind of hesitant to start on the piecing....
Wow...what a lot of pieces! Did you work on yours again?

thimblebug6000 11-27-2014 09:11 AM

On Block H7 can someone please check their directions for me. My version says to cut 4 squares at 2 7/8" from the green and cut in half diagonally once to make 8 green triangles. They have turned out to be too large. I think there may be a correction to the block in the newer printing of the directions. Thanks!

DottyD 11-27-2014 09:38 AM

Hi thimblebug, my book says :-

Cut 4 squares 2 3/8th, Cut each square in half diagonally once to make 8 green E triangles. Maybe your book has a misprint - mine is dated 2009.