Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Welcome Aboard the Mystery Quilt Train - Never Too Late to Join the Ride! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/welcome-aboard-mystery-quilt-train-never-too-late-join-ride-t180032.html)

PokerDiva 03-05-2012 10:36 AM

Quiltermomma, when you get the message about leaving the page just click OK and it will post. The board seems to be having all kinds of problems.

QuilterMomma 03-05-2012 10:48 AM

So now I better get busy and get caught up. I only have two weeks to get these sewn for a lap quilt. I think I can get more than enough scraps for this. You ladies have done some beautiful color selections. i am just drewling and nothing is worse to clean up than coffee infested slobbers.

40MPHK9 03-05-2012 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my offering. I'm not going to lie--I am having trouble with the 1/4" seam....it SEEMS to be 1/4" but my five strips sewn together ended up measuring 10 3/16", not 10 1/2". I just don't get it, and not sure I have the fabric to redo.....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]317533[/ATTACH]

QuilterMomma 03-05-2012 10:59 AM

You will definitely need to move your needle over a couple of threads or guide the fabric to be a "scant" 1/4". Even though we measure our sewn line and it says 1/4", you need to take in account the size of your thread. I have this issue as well. Cotton thread - which I use- takes up space and when you multiply this times four seams, you loos that little 1/16. So take it over a couple more threads. i would take one row out is all and sew it a scant extra out and see how one block responds. If it does well, would repeat x 4. Otherwise you will have to do the stretch to get to the 1/2" mark and it may distort the whole quilt. Just a suggestion. I learned this because I love to to minatures and Sally Collins stresses this when you are sewing minatures. You will see a difference in all your work.

Honchey 03-05-2012 10:59 AM

YES I AM!!!! What is worse, I loose my messages that I type and the restored won't call them back up. Gets so frustrating if you talk to much

Boy, Oh Boy, Am I so glad I'm not along..I have a new cp and thought there was something wrong with the software... It has to be this site. I'm getting tired of typing and then losing it. It has been a nightmare....It just happenend again with a pm..I click on a smiley and the website just freezes up and stops working. ...

QuilterMomma 03-05-2012 11:03 AM

Yeah, I know that one. I type a post and it won't post at all, won't even go to the leave this page option. Oh well, keeps me sewing instead of chatting. Love your new avatar also PokerDiva.

Originally Posted by PokerDiva (Post 5033531)
Quiltermomma, when you get the message about leaving the page just click OK and it will post. The board seems to be having all kinds of problems.

Caroline S 03-05-2012 11:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are my blocks. Still might change the "F" fabric.

Sadiemae 03-05-2012 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Honchey (Post 5033591)
YES I AM!!!! What is worse, I loose my messages that I type and the restored won't call them back up. Gets so frustrating if you talk to much

Boy, Oh Boy, Am I so glad I'm not along..I have a new cp and thought there was something wrong with the software... It has to be this site. I'm getting tired of typing and then losing it. It has been a nightmare....It just happenend again with a pm..I click on a smiley and the website just freezes up and stops working. ...

The techies are supposed to be working on these issues, but it seems like they are just getting worse for me.

SunlitenSmiles 03-05-2012 11:49 AM

for all who are having trouble posting........have to let you know, only about one out of five of my comments ever post. While some may consider that a good thing ;) it is very frustrating.

Foxflower 03-05-2012 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by 40MPHK9 (Post 5033578)
Here is my offering. I'm not going to lie--I am having trouble with the 1/4" seam....it SEEMS to be 1/4" but my five strips sewn together ended up measuring 10 3/16", not 10 1/2". I just don't get it, and not sure I have the fabric to redo.....

Your fabric is beautiful 40. Like quiltermomma said, you need a scant 1/4" seam not only because of thread width, but you are folding the fabric over said thread, so you loose a few strand widths there too. Is there a 1/4" guide on your machine's throat plate or do you have a 1/4" foot? If so, then sew just to the inside of that mark rather than on top of it. If you don't have such a mark/guide/foot, etc, I suggest you make one with painters tape or whatever you feel comfortable using on your machine. Some people use mole skin to give a raised edge, but I have not yet tried that (going to try it with my daughter to help her with straight 1/4" seams). Also, a word on cutting. You can lose a few strands by cutting to the inside of your ruler lines, and visa versa. Hope that helps. Again, just love your fabric so hope you can work it out.