Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd! >

Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd!

Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd!

Old 05-12-2015, 04:50 AM

Thanks so much for your input. I am adding two lounge chairs with beach towels and hats and a table between them with two mai tais or such (if I had pineapples would do a drink out of that) and possibly a beach hut for the pool boy to go get the drinks lol. I want it simple as well... its supposed to be a peaceful place no crabs jelly fish or things that can hurt you. I have been spending more time thinking on the applique blocks that will surround it. like doing cocktails and another row is florals and another row is beach things perhaps? and well need one more row! doing those rows going around the center. think it will be big enough then to add a boarder and call it good. its for a lap quilt for a friend. she is always talking about what it will be like for us when we get there.. she also has a life shortening disease so we both are sorta shorter timers than others our age. We are going to do it up right lol. the beach man if I could figure out how to do a chipendales sorta bartender I would. yup. we will have to just imagine him for now. no talking.. he wont be able to talk. now doesn't that sound lovely? a warm beach, a peaceful sand and no waves. and .. a good looking man who delivers drinks to us but never speaks. oh yeah. sounds ok lol. the next wall hanging like this I am doing the cover on that book I have. I so would love to hang that up. the colors are so stunning and I am DYING to copy that. plus it looks fairly simple. (I say this before I start anything oh I can do that.. only to discover uh its not that easy to do at all. this is easy its not quilted just fused and hung. I can do that! LOL
Old 05-12-2015, 12:29 PM

Oh Linda - the cabana boy also needs to be a masseuse who will give unlimited neck/back/feet/body rubs and also apply lotion. - just saying in the perfect world
Old 05-13-2015, 06:20 AM

traveling grandma you crack me up. Yup he can apply lotion also and massage? he can do that why yes he can. just keep your mouth shut cowboy hey I was thinking maybe there is a torso of a man from say an alexander henrys fabric you know just his back.. and I could put him behind the bar in the tiki hut? bought the fabric for the tiki hut already. ohyes I did. was going to put the drinks on the counter there. do think I will need another three rows of sand just to fit it all in. there will be probably a beach umbrella between our chairs too other than that.. nothing. I am hoping the quilter can do the different stitches I would hope for in the quilt. the top I want wavy lines for the sky, the ocean I am hoping for just gentle swirls for the water and the sand seams like little curvy lines. the the edge of the water and sand needs some frothy stuff if I don't do it myself .. ahhhh. hate to do that and have to take it all out! she normally does one pattern for the whole thing. we will see. besides it is what it is. we will have to be happy for it regardless of what comes out. so ifyou happen to have a man on fabric that is worthy of being on the beach in heaven let me know and we can maybe trade a small amount of fabric? just an idea!
Old 05-13-2015, 01:02 PM

Linda - you make my day. I have seen the hunk fabric - but by golly I don't have it!
Worked a little free motion for my grass - just a bit here and there using different threads - beige/green/brown/lite rust. Haven't done anything like it in a very long time and forgot that I need to put some backing behind it so it is bunching bit. stopped and see how much I will have to take out to get rid of the bunching.
Working on patterns and sizes for the other traditional rows. Have to make one more seagull to make it wide enough. looking at paper piecing patterns of rainbows and sun and nautical star. Also trying to figure out the right color for a wine glass ....
Old 05-15-2015, 03:12 AM

Brat,
love the ideas you have for the beach. Dream world! I like that your yellows look so simular for the sand. It makes for an interesting quilt up close. What type of appliqué are u doing, needle turn, machine, freezer paper?
Old 05-18-2015, 01:00 PM

I have a piece of this sandcastle fabric left - I ordered it online and thought the castles would be smaller .... So if anyone can use it let me know and I will mail it off.
Attached Thumbnails fabric.jpg  
Old 05-18-2015, 03:05 PM

Hi all you Row Robin quilters. I completed my place of peace "Up North in Minnesota" quilt today. I don't think you can see the quilting but the top two rows are really quilted a lot as I had a lot of applique pieces to attach. The rest I just did a free motion swirl over it. Hope I get it loaded -DH is holding it for me. Doesn't hang perfect but you can get the picture.
Can't wait to see everyones.[ATTACH=CONFIG]520031[/ATTACH]Sorry you have to lay on your side to see it.
Attached Thumbnails dscn1930.jpg  
Old 05-18-2015, 08:19 PM

That looks so good, Karamarie. Love the mix of styles and the border is great! With all those colors, it really pulls it all together. What is the name of the bottom block? It must be something 'up north.' Mine is on a bit of a hold but I'll get back to it soon.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:31 AM

whitepine - it's just a leaf pattern that I found by just googling leave patterns - so don't know what the name for it is but I'm sure it will come up for you. It's actually 4 blocks that I put together to make a row. Thank you and can't wait to see yours when done.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:44 AM

Well then, you can give it your own name. : ) There are sure a lot of maple trees in the north and that's what it looks like to me.