Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along >

"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

Old 09-01-2013, 10:21 AM

OMG QNS- where did you get the pattern? I love it.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:06 AM

The 'owl' quilt pattern is still offered by one of the www.FabHopShop.com who ran a contest of 'name that owl' each month last fall; don't remember which one. First one pictured, was for my SIL, and dh wanted one in the worst way. So I started in on him an owl quilt, and he says, "I want to help!", so I showed him what I was doing with permanent markers, and left the scene. He decided he had a 'better idea' and used his choice of pens whose ink spread across the block when pressed...almost to the point of disaster when he finally called me for help.

After getting the extra fabric, cleaning up his mess, and completing his owl set and an another one and having a spare set for the future, I had enough of those owls for a while, not giving a 'hoot' for another one.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]433511[/ATTACH] Next door neighbor lady and I were in the fabric store selecting fabric for her adopted daughter a quilt I almost had heart failure when she said dd wanted a horse quilt. I did make this special 'horse' quilt for the soon to be six year old next door in Texas...I ask her, 'how many horses do you want in your corral?' "Six", she says. So knowing their strong Baptist's faith, I designed God's windows at the top, green grass beside the still waters below the corral of horses. This was for a very cute young lady, so the 'corral' fence became pink. And the hat had her name on it, and it said, " A loves horses. Fringe made the mane and tails so they 'moved' when she moved the quilt. Neighbor lady was going to put it on the wall and save it, and said, "No, let her use it, that's what I made it for!", and that's what she did. Every night, she looked down into her corral, with the 'grass' under her chin, as she went to sleep. It was one of a kind, developed for a very special young lady who is active today, racing barrels and taking care of her real quarter horses in her corral. And she got two more quilts each birthday that they were still neighbors so she could take them to slumber parties. Horses were drawn freehand by me.
Attached Thumbnails image0-002.jpg  
Old 09-01-2013, 11:25 AM

OH! Sue ya are such an artist!!!! I just love your horse quilt!!! I bet that girl is in love w/it.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:02 PM

I have a question?

Those of you that have allready completed the first block and or the others, when they show 3 different backgrounds for block 1 did you do different fabrics or did you stick to just one fabric and used that for all three of the background colors.

Thank you in advance I was trying to pull some fabrics and I was wanting to know what was your thoughts on this as I was having a hard time finding this many that went well together in my stash.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:03 PM

QNS--- You are such a great artist/quilter never in a million years would I attempt these quilts you did. I guess I am more of a piecer than an artist. I love them all you do great work.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:20 PM

frustrated, I use three different background fabrics. I still have to pick the third one though.

QNS, you really are an artist! Such beautiful quilts and such great stories. Thanks so much for sharing those with us!
Old 09-01-2013, 12:25 PM

frustratedquilter, I think its personal choice. No, I haven't made mine yet, trying to talk dh into paper piecing for me with the problem of 'seeing' right now. If you are putting them into a quilt, then yes, the background needs to be the same. Place mats, no, you can change the background in each one. I think, I would keep the same background, a light neutral color for a quilt. Place mats, I think, you could go wild and crazy with color. We will see what the 3rd brings, and you can see what the others have done in two more days!

Thank you for the kind words about my quilts. I love designing for the person, and not do a 'kit' or set pattern. 'Especially, the kids and babies, I love designing for them on what they like to see or colors the parents of a baby chose to use in the nursery.I did them in Rockford, Ill., and in Corpus Christi, Texas. So many and no pictures of any of them. I did have one staff member who left, and returned on a visit some 12 years later, to "look me up" to show me how much his baby son, had grown up into a teenager looking down at his 6 foot Father. Never charged for the quilts, they were just 'gifted'.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:59 PM

I chose to use one background fabric for the fabric in the block itself....even when it says 2-3.

I haven't chosen the corner background fabric yet...I am going to wait until all the blocks are done and I know what the finished quilt looks like.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:30 PM

Frustrated ... for the first (April) block, my "background 2" color is the same fabric I used as the "color 4" - IOW the color 4 is the leaf in section 9 and I used the same fabric for what I call the "stem" in section 7.

My "background 1" color is the same fabric in all my blocks, and I'm using the same fabric for the "leaf" in all the blocks as well - to tie them all in.

To my mind I would have preferred if they had used only one label called "background" and all other fabrics get a "color" label, then perhaps one called "border" for the side pieces.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:31 PM

QNS ... lovely owls! I like owls