Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along >

"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

Old 09-01-2013, 01:32 PM

I have finished the 1st block, and used two different backgrounds. I am like carrie, I have not decided on the corner fabrics yet either. I think I want to get several done before I make that decision, so I can preview what they look like with different fabrics.

QNS - what a super horse quilt for that little girl. And what a surprise she is still into horses in her teen years! Wow, so many girls change directions as they mature!
Old 09-01-2013, 02:00 PM

For those of you doing placemats, do you think you'll square them up? Or leave them as hexagons? I'd like to leave them as hexes but don't know if they'll be big enough.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:33 PM

Cindy--as of right now I am planning to make a quilt, but thought you could just add borders to the hexes to keep the shape if you wanted...
Old 09-01-2013, 03:21 PM

I'm making mine into a quilt as well.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

I'm keeping mine the hexie shape. My plan is to cut a 4" strips; sew 2 sides opposite side of each other; and even off the angles (should be a a 60 degree angle right?) Next work on sides next to these two; and finally the last two. Does this make sense?
Old 09-01-2013, 07:18 PM

Frustrated I am using the same background fabric throughout, might be a good idea if you are getting confused is to wait and see the first set of blocks that are posted this week when Honchey starts the first thread for pictures of blocks. Sometimes when you see different blocks and different colour schemes it will come together for you. Hope this helps
Old 09-01-2013, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by mirabelle View Post
Frustrated I am using the same background fabric throughout, might be a good idea if you are getting confused is to wait and see the first set of blocks that are posted this week when Honchey starts the first thread for pictures of blocks. Sometimes when you see different blocks and different colour schemes it will come together for you. Hope this helps
Karen I think that is what I am going to do. Wait and see what peoples blocks look like
Old 09-02-2013, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
I'm keeping mine the hexie shape. My plan is to cut a 4" strips; sew 2 sides opposite side of each other; and even off the angles (should be a a 60 degree angle right?) Next work on sides next to these two; and finally the last two. Does this make sense?
I think so. Or I could use the measurements that the instructions gave us (DUH!!) and compare it to placemats I already have.

@Carriem, I do like the shape of hexes and don't have any placemats that are an unusual shape. When I finish the first block if I think it's big enough I will leave them that shape and size.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by mirabelle View Post
gramquilter2 I wanted to check and make sure of where I purchased the designs. I thought they came from Embroidery Library but couldn't find them so went on a search As an embroiderer you would understand that we get our designs from lots of different places. Anyway I found them, yay, they are called Cuddlesome Critters 1 and 2 and can be found at Hatched in Africa. I have bought several designs from them. I have also purchased a lot of kids applique designs from OregonPatchworks under Designs by JuJu. Hope this helps..
Mirabelle, thanks for letting me know where you got the critter design. Have never bought from that design company but will check them out now as I want the critters. Thanks
Old 09-02-2013, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by CindyA View Post
For those of you doing placemats, do you think you'll square them up? Or leave them as hexagons? I'd like to leave them as hexes but don't know if they'll be big enough.
Cindy ... I'm making place mats and leaving them as hexies. If I center the plate I will have to put the cutlery on the napkin next to the place mat, if I put the plate on the edge, there is room for the cutlery on the place mat. I have fairly large plates and they're square. I don't want too much of the place mat exposed as I want the mats primarily to protect the table from the plate and if the mat is too big it invites "spills".

Make the first one, check the size - then decide.

Or ... if you're concerned about the size .. add an outer border to each of the hexie "pies" - just a strip that runs the length of the outer edge. It will be easier to do it before you sew the hexies together rather than trying to do a border all around a hexie shape.

Last edited by DogHouseMom; 09-02-2013 at 05:26 AM.