Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Stash Buster Scrappy MYSTERY QUILT Mini-train Ride >

Stash Buster Scrappy MYSTERY QUILT Mini-train Ride

Stash Buster Scrappy MYSTERY QUILT Mini-train Ride

Old 01-06-2013, 12:16 PM

Finished cutting A and B last night. Started sewing on Clue 2 and I am loving this quilt. This is my first mystery and it is great fun. Back to the ole sewing machine. Want to be ready for Clue 3.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:36 PM

When you do your 6 or 12 blocks, you will have the blocks with the additional pieces shown in postion, placed around the two sides, shown in the photo, sewn onto the blocks. I forgot to take a pix of what was all sewn together. There will be no additional sashing added.
Originally Posted by sewNso View Post
judy, when we get done with our 6 (12) blocks or we suppose to have sashing around the outside edges? to be ready for the next clue? thx
Old 01-06-2013, 12:38 PM

Do you remember the iron-on transfers, with just the dots that you ironed on to whatever you wanted to smock? Make it whatever size you wanted.
That was how I did my first smocked yoke on the maternity dress. Then I felt confident enough to go to the woven gingham and count the dots.

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post

smocking was always most accurate for me on (woven) gingham and dotted swiss (the real kind not the printed kind)
Old 01-06-2013, 12:44 PM

All our first-time mystery quilters seems to be enjoying themselves, so glad to hear all the positive comments.

Thanks you, everyone, for the votes of confidence you send. Makes all the work worthwhile. And this one was a doozy with all the options I tried to give you. LOL But I always feel that if you are going to put fabric and effort into a project, you should be given a little guidence so you are pleased with your quilt. That's the reason I never participated in a mysteries -- seemed a lot of fabric if I was going to hate the result.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:01 PM

Here's my Part 2!

I'm not sure if I like or don't like the gold and purple. On the one hand, it gives the quilt something of an old-timey look with the mustard-yellow of the gold and the swirls in it, but on the other hand they might have been a little strong for this quilt. Also there's a sort of three-dimensional thing going on here as the 9-patches seem almost to be floating on the background of crosses. It's sort of neat, and does draw attention from the craziness of all the novelties in the 9-patches. Okay, I think I do like it!

Can't wait to see where we're going with the remaining rectangles and small squares! Guess I can relax until next weekend.

Thanks for the mystery! It's been a lot of fun, and always gotta love scrappy quilts + stashbusting!

--Q
Old 01-06-2013, 01:21 PM

I am finally completely caught up with both clues. I had fun deciding on what I wanted my fabric A to be. I knew I wanted fabric B to be the black tone on tone. I finally decided to us a pale marbled moda for Fabric A. I like the way it is turning out.

There is on of all 12 blocks, they still need to be sewn together in rows, but that wont take me too long. And a close up.

Thanks for any input......
Attached Thumbnails dscf2978.jpg   dscf2979.jpg  
Old 01-06-2013, 01:26 PM

Quossum, I love your quilt top, it is beautiful. I really like the A& B fabric you picked, they look great together, and with your blocks.

I have to admit the reason I got mine done so fast is I had help. My hubby is my partner and he helps. He does a lot of the pressing and cutting.

Judy, I love your Mysteries, they are wonderful, and every single time I learn some very helpful tips. I am leaving tomorrow and wanted my top done so I can bring it with me so I can do step 3 from my Mom's
Old 01-06-2013, 01:28 PM

Createfourpaws, I love it! that black and white is awesome! beautiful!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by marytoddliz View Post
Createfourpaws, I love it! that black and white is awesome! beautiful!
it is actually not a white, it is a pale green with pale pink and yellows throughout. I can take a close up of the fabric before it was cut. I still have some left. I have included a picture before it was cut apart.
Attached Thumbnails dscf2980.jpg  

Last edited by createfourpaws; 01-06-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:41 PM

WOW! looks like many are doing the larger one. i may decide to go bigger as well once i get A&B sewn on.