Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW >

Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW

Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW

Old 02-26-2018, 05:10 PM

Wow, beautiful Teen!
Old 02-26-2018, 06:16 PM

Thanks guys!! I had to do some sorting today as I continue to prepare for move so I didn't sit down to start sewing until about 1pm today. After dinner, I did do one more block but will post that tomorrow. Total count as as of tonight: 40.... Woohoo!!! 100 more to go! Geesh...

Last edited by Teen; 02-26-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:09 AM

I did another group last night- they are so fun and with the cutting already done, go super fast. I like to set out 10- 15 at a time and then do them assembly line. IE - I do as much as I can on a block before I need to press, then move to the next. When the first round of sewing is done, I get up and do all the pressing and trimming(if needed) then start another round. it's always fun to see how many "rounds" it takes to get all the blocks done.

I've been thinking about ways to assemble, and that is getting me excited to get more blocks done. I'm thinking of going with 36 in the middle on point, then the rest around the outside. Will need to do some triangle blocks to make it work, but that won't be hard. I'll put all the "other background" blocks in the center. I counted up and have 35 with alternate backgrounds, so only need to swap out one more and I'm good to go.

I have a total of 49 sewn up now. I would have 50, but I trimmed the HST triangles wrong on one and when all sewn, it's too small. Hmmm- since I have to recut that one, I might as well do it for additional one I need for the center.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:27 AM

Oh ladies, I am loving your blocks. I have always wanted to make this quilt. But, I'm afraid, that I don't have the time. And, that I have a very difficult time making my blocks come out to the right size every time. And, I hate PP.

Teen, I love the unifying print you are using and the overall color scheme. It is beautiful.

Macybaby, You have a beautiful collection of batik scraps. Your unifying color is really setting off these batik scraps. Your blocks are just beautiful as well. I don't think I could cut out every block at one time. I think I would need to see small finishes here and there. Plus, I would probably get lost somewhere along the way. But, there is something to be said for just sitting down and having the block ready to sew when you have a block of time here and there. And your other project, "Catch Me if you Can" is Wow, just Wow. It is definitely going to be a show piece when you are done.

Keep up the great work ladies. In the meantime, I will put this project on the long list for now.

I can't wait to see your finished quilts.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-03-2018 at 10:10 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 02-27-2018, 06:50 AM

Judith, when you cut a bit larger and then trim down, it's not that hard to do. I learned this doing the 365 block challenge, and the good thing about that one is they do provide all the "trim to" measurements. It makes something that looks difficult be a lot simpler, and no paper piecing.

I personally think the directions for this sampler make it harder than it needs to be. And to get around that, they resort to paper piecing too often - I think I found three blocks that "require" paper piecing. For the most part, I am ignoring the directions. I look at the picture and use the templates to get measurements, and use what I learned in the other challenge to do the sewing and trimming.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:48 AM

Lots of good info on here - thanks for the tips. Here are 2 more I finished. Probably it for the week, as I work full-time and will be out of town this weekend (which is my prime sewing time). I sure enjoy seeing your blocks!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]589909[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]589910[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 10.jpg   h-10.jpg  
Old 02-27-2018, 05:59 PM

Great job, Donna!!

Macybaby...with today's blocks, I'm up to 45 blocks completed. I ran out of WOW and had to trip on down to the LQS. Lol! I am going thru my yellow stash like crazy so I picked up some of yellow print too. So, I think I'm good to go for awhile. Your ideas sound great for your finishing quilt. I plan on going the distance with all 140. And, you are right, I haven't really used too much of the directions and construct by the picture. Bachelors Puzzle was way to convoluted so I just did it in HST and it came out great. Whatever works is my motto... Post pics when you can...

Thank you, Judith, for the lovely comment. I hope you do join in and do this quilt.

6 blocks today
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

image.jpeg  

Last edited by Teen; 02-27-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:14 PM

Great blocks ladies! My first experience with PP was a class with Deb Kerasik. She has a great way of doing the PP using the "Add-a-quarter" ruler. I wouldn't do it any other way, and have several Judy Neimeier patterns I will soon be tackling. Keep up the good work!
Old 02-27-2018, 07:59 PM

laurafet...I've seen this technique too but never have tried it since I don't have the ruler but I suppose any ruler would work. PP is new to me so I imagine I'll venture out more because I enjoy it.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:44 PM

Wow ladies!! Beautiful blocks! I love them all

I have to say, I love PP. When I made the first pp blocks I had no idea what I was doing and how so I didn't like it at all. Once I got the hang of it.......without pp I never would have started Nearly Insane