Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW >

Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW

Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW

Old 02-28-2018, 06:56 AM

Love your blocks, Teen. I agree - Bachelors Puzzle was a doozy and I struggled with it. Yours looks great.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:17 AM

Donna - love the orange/yellow block!

Teen - yours are turning out very nice. And it's always nice to have an excuse to stop at the LQS, though sometimes I need blinders when I go in so I don't get distracted and walk out with way more than I was looking for.

My first PP was doing the 50 Stars challenge on this board, using Carol Doak's book. I made it through all 50, but have not done anything with them. So they are one of my longer term UFO's. I never could get good at sewing sections together until I started removing the paper first.

I bought the 6" and 12" add a quarter rulers, and bought a 6" add an eighth ruler. I'm not using them at all with the CMIYC quilt.

I did use them when I did the Fire Island Hosta quilt by Judy N, however I did not sew on the papers with that one, just used them as a template.

I have another PP project that is also a UFO - I started making roses. They finish around 6".

And I liked doing them as a group too. This was before I upgraded my machine to one with a thread cutter. It was very tedious cutting all the threads.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:47 AM

Thank you, Macy & Donna... I'm really liking the look of this sampler with my fabric choices.

Those roses are really pretty and will make a lovely quilt. Lots of pieces. I don't leave the paper on when sewing sections together. It is easier without it, at least for me. Some patterns, I don't sew on the paper at all...but just fold back. It depends on pattern. I know I'll be doing more PP beyond SBS. I enjoy it.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:35 AM

Ladies your projects are looking fantastic! You sure are accomplishing a lot in a very short time.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:08 PM

Thank you, thimble. We are women on a mission. Lol!

Only 2 today and I really like these.... Specially E3...cool block to make.

K6 - Gentlemen's Fancy
E3 - Chicago Pavements
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
Old 02-28-2018, 11:14 PM

Lovely roses Macebaby!! I never thought of chain piecing while doing pp

Teen, more beautiful blocks. It's time for a group photo! Can't wait to see them together. Please......
Old 03-01-2018, 05:44 AM

For those asking about the "add a quarter" ruler, it has a lip on it, so when you fold the paper back it snugs into where the seam is and there is no lining up like with a regular ruler. This makes the process go very fast, and if you have pieces cut so you can line up with the 1/4" then it makes it very easy.

I rarely cut pieces now so they line up with the 1/4" I found that to be too wasteful for my liking once I got proficient with the process. when I did the Fire Island Hosta quilt, the waste you'll end up with following the directions is huge. I was pulling fabric from my stash and used about half of what the pattern called for with the piecing.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:57 AM

Teen, on your K6, the blues in the corners go together so well that I initially thought you had overlaid one fabric on top of the other. Lookin' good! I don't have one of the add a quarter rulers, but think I will pick one up. Now that I am getting into this, I can really see how it would avoid a lot of waste. Saw one demonstrated on a You Tube video and looks like it is a good tool to invest in.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:21 PM

With pp I always measure the pieces I need so I won't have a lot of waste. That really helps too. I don't have an 'add a quarter' ruler.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:26 PM

I thought about purchasing the ruler, as well, but I'm a "measurer" so I haven't had too much waste. I have a process now since I'm only using 5 colors. I piece a few blocks and with the scraps, I then pick a PP I can do with those scraps. It's working right now but pretty soon I'll run out of PP blocks. I have bolts of fabric I'm using so, really, I have plenty of focal & Dk Blue fabrics so if I waste, I waste. Oh well.

Donna...my main focus fabric has so many swirls of shades of blue and teal. Super easy to find matching blues. It's been really fun to create blocks with this colorway. K6 is pretty simple PP but assembling can be a bit tricky?

thank you for the nice comments...

that said....here are 4 blocks completed today. My count is 51. I'll take a group I picture when I hit the halfway point at 70..

C9 - Grandmothers Pride
F8 - Jacobs Ladder
B9 - Irish Chain
N6 - Kaleidoscope
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

Last edited by Teen; 03-01-2018 at 04:42 PM.