Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW >

Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW

Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW

Old 03-31-2018, 09:16 AM

Macybaby, that sounds like it is going to be really stunning. Your quilt top looks like all sorts of glittering jewels. It is gorgeous. I can't wait to see your finished top.

Teen, love the recent blocks your posted. D1 really caught my eye. Keep up the great work. Your almost there.

DonnaPea, love your pretty bridal bouquet. It almost looks 3D with the variation of color to the pink. Really stunning. Keep up the great work.

You all inspired me by this long term project. But, I knew that Sylvia and Farmer's Wife really weren't my type of quilt. But, I picked up the book for "Happy Flower Quilt Sampler" By, Atsuko Matsuyama. It's scrappy and colorful and I can see myself making it. (Lots of applique also. Which I really like.) It looks to be, 99 blocks @ 6.5" unfinished. I haven't read all the instructions yet. I also can't start it till I finish a couple that I'm working on right now. I'm not super impressed with the instructions. But, thank God for the Internet. Most of these really are just a take on traditional blocks. I just need to figure out the grid patterns as I go along. I guess I will truly be gaining experience and math skills as I go along.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:39 AM

It really is a happy flower quilt! Just googled it......
Lots of blocks can be found online and if not, you could draw them on grid paper or in EQ if you have that.

I started the Farmer's Wife and the next one designed by Laurie Hird 'The Farmer's Wife Pony Club' and I didn't like either of them. I did love making Sylvia though.......so I decided I don't like Laurie Hird's blocks
Old 03-31-2018, 09:42 AM

Thank you, Judith. I didn't know if this was my type of quilt, either, and can tell you that I likely won't do another project like this. A sampler was on my bucket list. This has been fun and learning new techniques has been great. I've identified a couple of blocks for whole quilt projects in the future so that's been cool. 140 blocks has been a bit overwhelming since I don't sew fast, despite me completing these so quickly. Your project sounds fun since I am an appliqué'er lover. I'm anxious to start my Baltimore Album quilt when I find all the fabrics for it. I'm being really picky and won't just settle.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:47 AM

Teen,

I think in starting a project of the magnitude of the Baltimore Album, you should be in love with the fabric. After all, it is going to be a work of art.

Your "Sylvia" is coming out gorgeous. And, I can't believe how quickly you and Macybaby have put your quilt tops together.

I really committed to finishing UFO's this year and I really want to meet my goal of a finish of 8 by the end of the year. There is still so many to go. But, I am plodding along. I almost have 2 finished. One is a WIP the other a UFO. And 2 are at the quilters to be quilted and they are both UFO's. And, then it will be onto the next two. And, I'm still working on Summertime I and II quilts. I really don't want either of those to become UFO's. Afterall, Summertime I is a year in the making. It seems I've run into every glitch with that quilt. But, I am working past them all. So, "Happy Flower" will have to wait till a little later in the summer before I can start it.

Last edited by Judith1005; 03-31-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:50 PM

Despite the busy holiday weekend, I was able to complete 2 blocks....11 to go. Though, I didn't meet my goal of the end of the month, I figure one week give or take isn't so bad...

If if any of you have advice on how to tackle the tiny drunkards path blocks, I'd welcome it. I've sewn curves and this block before but my technique isn't going to work on these tiny pieces. I thought about gluing but wasn't sure. Thank you!

judith..I looked up your happy flower quilt..so adorable!! Fun fun project!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
Old 03-31-2018, 05:41 PM

Beautiful Teen!

The only advice I have: skip it Really, I struggled with it and re-did it three times. I should have skipped it and made another one instead. Same with the Peter/Paul thing........
Old 03-31-2018, 05:50 PM

Hahahahaha! I'm thinking of the same thing, Anael. I have 5 FW blocks sitting in reserve to make if any of these last 11 are a pain. I do want a DP in the quilt so I may just make them bigger...not sure yet. I sewed 3 pieces of them for a block and wanted to throw my machine out the window....so I put it aside... Oh well... Peter Paul thing is scheduled next...I'll give it one shot.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:54 PM

Ladies, I'm winging it here with the blocks I am working on. My SBS book is still in storage somewhere, so I'm going to try to do a few of the blocks I know I haven't done yet based on the names of them. Refresh my memory- finished size before they go together is 6 1/2 inches, right? Finished size of 6 inches?
Thanks.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:56 PM

Yes....unfinished size is 6 1/2"....finished size 6".... Let me know if you need any info from the book. I'd be happy to share...
Old 03-31-2018, 06:03 PM

Teen, this is the easiest way to do a drunkards path that I've found.

https://quiltingtutorials.com/tutori...ocks-made-easy

It looks fun too. It's a very no stress approach.

Last edited by Judith1005; 03-31-2018 at 06:15 PM.