Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW >

Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW

Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW

Old 04-04-2018, 10:20 AM

NZquilter - please come join us! Looks like I am going to be alone here very soon, just poking along. Teen, I love the speckled teal in the corners of your E2. As soon as I get 10 in a row done I will assemble them just for the fun of starting to see this come together - but that won't be for awhile. I can't wait to see yours assembled, Teen, like Macybaby's. So many possibilities for different looks with this quilt.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:15 AM

You wont be alone DonnaPea, I will be here too!! Not making Sylvia blocks though........sorry
Old 04-04-2018, 02:02 PM

Thank you, Donna. I like that speckled teal and only had a FQ of it so I tried to use for bigger pieces in blocks. I'll be checking in on you, Donna, and still be sharing my SBS stages. I have some applique to be done so it will be awhile for that.

2 more done today. Donna...beware of L9....every seam except the final four corners of the block are Y-seams. The back looks awful...lol! I couldn't figure out how to iron it for bulk so I pressed everything opened. So glad I Left that for one or last to get more Y-seam practice. I've got points and its 6 1/2....beyond that, I don't care what it looks like...lol!

5 to go....
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
Old 04-04-2018, 03:10 PM

those look very nice Teen, just like the rest lol!

I might have my floppy done, but it will be months before it's quilted and ready to show off. I've really got to make a point of getting some quilting done for a while.

I'll be hanging around - gonna need Teen's advice for an applique project. I ordered the "Dance of the Dragon Flies" pattern. I have the background panel, but I'm not planning on using batiks to make it.

Teen - what glue do you use for your applique? I may try it with tools I have on hand, but figure the right glue is probably more important.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:27 PM

Thank you, Macybaby.... I'm getting really excited to assemble and work on applique border.

I love that pattern and thought about doing it myself. I saw someone on the board do the kit and it turned out beautiful, though, I believe it was raw edge. Glue stick: I've tested many and some are awful, gunky, or don't stick well and I found myself taking longer. Until, I tried Sewline's fabric glue pen refills for Fons and Porters glue pen. Awesome. Edges stay down immediately but can be lifted up easily if boo boo's. Dries fast...wipes up with water if you get it on furniture or cleaning the glue pen....I use a poster board to applique on. Needs very little to be effective and doesn't cause gunky issues on sewing machine needle. Easy peezy....I buy out the stores inventory on these. Lol!

Last edited by Teen; 04-04-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:41 AM

I think you are right about that pattern being raw edge, so I'll have to cut larger so I can turn under. The pattern has been shipped so I'll be waiting a few days to find out what I'm getting myself in for.

Donna - your blocks are looking nice and I love all the different colors (no shock there!).
Old 04-05-2018, 06:03 AM

It's a stunning pattern Macebaby!!!
Old 04-05-2018, 06:42 AM

Macybaby...you'll love this applique technique. I think it fits your method of crafting (quick) and the results are lovely. And you don't have to cut bigger, per se, from pattern...you trace and cut stabilizer without seam allowance, then press on fabric, then cut 1/8 or 1/4 around piece, depending on the size of applique. If tiny, then cut 1/8 so there isn't a bunch of bulk turned under. Youtubes share how to deal with curves and points. Super fun!

Anael...did you get the results of MRI? I Remember your follow-up appointment was this week, I believe.

I completed 1 more block after din din last night. 4 to Go! I'll post later. Today is funeral day.

Last edited by Teen; 04-05-2018 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:08 AM

Thanks for asking Teen. My appointment was yesterday. Nothing............I somehow expected it. Now I have to see a neurologist.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:46 AM

Teen - Your L-9 looks beautiful. I love the way the fabric frames it. No one will ever see the back of it anyway (but I doubt it's as bad as you think!). Here are 2 more I finished in the past 2 days. I enjoyed making A-8 - Star of the Orient. New block for me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]592274[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]592275[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails n-2.jpg   8.jpg