Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW >

Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW

Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW

Old 04-11-2018, 09:32 AM

Just checking in....I nearly have the blocks assembled. I should be done today....then....onto the borders. I have my applique pieces ready to take with me on my trip so they should be ready for the quilt upon my return. My goal is to have this to the LA by end of May. I'm going to shop for my reproduction fabric for my Baltimore Album quilt while gone so, hopefully, that project will be ready to start in June and provide craft activity while I finish packing and sell my house. Fingers crossed!!
Old 04-11-2018, 10:19 AM

Fast as lightning Teen!!!! You can come over here and help me with my UFO's/WIP's I have quite a few of those!
Old 04-11-2018, 01:37 PM

All assembled......I sewed the first 2 rows with yellow corner stones and changed my mind...ripped out....and did blue, instead, which was my original design 140 blocks ago. Lol! My DH helped with sewing the 2 half together and pressing by holding the bulk for me.....sucker is heavy.... He's helped me on my bigger quilts. Such a trooper. Just need border sashing, inner borders, and applique outer border.....yea!!!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 04-11-2018, 02:33 PM

Stunning Teen!!!!!!!!!!!! There's nothing else I can say.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:50 PM

Oh Teen, it is gorgeous. I just love your controlled scrappy. It's so different then the other ones I've seen. But, still a masterpiece. I can't wait to see it again after your final borders. You are so lucky that your DH will help you like that. He's a keeper for sure!!

Seeing your quilt makes me rethink this not being my type of quilt. Will have to give it some more thought. I do like it with the scrappy cheerful blocks. I think you added just the right amount of yellow to your blocks. If I do try this quilt out at some point, it would have to be scrappy as I don't want to buy specialty fabrics. I want to use what I have at home. I have a drawer full of blues I could use......will have to give it more thought.....

Last edited by Judith1005; 04-11-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:31 PM

I love it!!!!!! Perfect! Can't wait to see how you decide to quilt.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:44 PM

Teen, Your quilt is a masterpiece. The blue cornerstones was the perfect choice.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:14 PM

OH...thank you so much for the lovely comments. I am so pleased with it and cannot wait to finish with the applique border.

Quilting: My LA is going to do an E2E over the blocks than I will FMQ the borders on my domestic. She doesn't do FMQ just E2E and Pantographs... I was going to quilt the whole thing myself on my domestic but it's huge and I didn't want to spend the time it would take to do it. I suck at SITD and doing 140 blocks would do my head in...lol!

Judith..... Initially, I thought about just making enough blocks for a large throw but quickly changed my mind and went for it... I see all kinds of color combinations when I imagine doing another (no way)...If I did, I would do in black, grays, and whites, with one contrasting color...maybe bright candy apple red or purple.... I'll just save that color combo for a larger sampler block/applique pattern I want to do. I'm not much of a scrappy girl, as I mentioned before. Lol!

Last edited by Teen; 04-11-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:03 AM

Teen - I have spent the last several minutes just admiring your lovely quilt. You are right, the teal is perfect for the cornerstones. It is such a calming, tranquil looking quilt (a new word here - tranquilt!). It will be fun to see the whole thing come together. And BTW - beautiful quilt on your piano bench as well.

Judith - Somewhere in my Googling Sylvia quilts for ideas, I came across one done in all blues and it was gorgeous. The nice thing about this quilt is it is so versatile. Macybaby, Teen, Dottie, Anael and I have all done very different approaches to it, and you just can't go wrong, in my opinion.

Here's 2 I finished up this week. Looking forward to the weekend and getting more time at the sewing machine (that is, while working around finishing up our taxes).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]592762[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]592763[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails m-6.jpg   f-8.jpg  
Old 04-12-2018, 06:22 AM

Teen- that is turning out wonderful! I just ordered the "Dear Jane" EQ software, so that will be my next one. That one I'll be doing much more controlled. I think I'll do one color (all shades) with a constant background. While blues are not my prefered, I've got a whole lot of them in my very small yardage pile so that would be a good choice.

I'd prefer reds, but pulled them for the 19th mystery train. Maybe I should swap that to blues and use the reds on Dear Jane. I like working with red more so that would help.